Lets here it! I wanna know what kicked you guys into gear!

Replies

• SHTX
    SHTX Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hello, I am relatively new to this community. Can someone let me know if we can find someone by name? I am specifically looking for Steve Bonetti who was recently featured on a MyFitnessPal blog. I was hoping to find his page but obviously would not know his username or email. Thanks!

Also, I "started" because I am tired of wearing the same thing everyday :( I have clothes that no longer fit because I gained weight and I don't want to buy anything new.
  • Najacita
    Najacita Posts: 24 Member
    I've had several attempts. Once I even made goal! That time I caught part of a conversation between my then 3 year old daughter and her best friend. She was telling her that when they grow up they will be chunky with big boobies like their mommies. I was devastated. I did not want that! I joined WW the next day.

This time it was turning 50. I was sick of my clothes not fitting well and my blood pressure was creeping up as my weight went up. I also got a weird blood clot in my armpit last year. That was a major annoyance.

Since January 2nd I have lost 32 lbs and went from a size 16 to a size 12. Looking forward to more shopping in my closet!
  • Najacita
    Najacita Posts: 24 Member
    knotgood77 wrote: »
    Looking to continue enjoying the BBQ I make, without continuing to buy pants with a bigger waistline.....so far so good!

I'd be curious about the recipes you have. My husband is a major Egghead - has two Big Green Eggs.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Well I'm apparently the "grandparent" aged person here, so congrats on having your awakening young. I have one daughter (nearly 20 now) and I was so worried I'd be saddling her down taking care of me, plus I was scared of getting diabetes, and sick and tired of my heels hurting so badly I could barely walk. Total of 93 pounds down (over the last 9 years), a runner, and a normal BMI. Not only is life good, it actually feels good.
  • ksumindysue
    ksumindysue Posts: 17 Member
    I was also a size 14 (a tight 14, but I refused to buy a size 16) when I started back in 2014. I was so tired of standing in my closet almost in tears looking at all the clothes I hated - I had just a couple of outfits that fit, and a bunch of stuff that was too tight. It was terrible. I had a friend who had started a program and lost about 40 pounds, and I thought I should at least give it a shot. In the back of my mind, I figured that, just like everything else I had tried, I would fail. Low and behold, 12 weeks later, I had lost 37 pounds. I have never looked back. Stay with it - find people who are on the same path to keep you motivated... I found that was the key for me. :)
  • katef275
    katef275 Posts: 23 Member
    I started because i am having an operation to remove my parathyroid glands(well 2 that are enlarged) in June and i am scared of the effects of anesthetic at the size/weight i was plus the strain on my back carrying the excess weight is agony. I too will be very happy to be able to bend over and tie my laces without being breathless. I started walking beginning of last week and started mfp yesterday. So far so good :D
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    My doctor casually mentioning that she could refer me to a bariatric surgeon.

I have had enough surgery to last me a couple of lifetimes but knew I had to do something. So I decided to do it without surgery.

I started at 257 (I think at one point I was up to 270), lost down to 130 and have maintained there for a few years and am now losing the 20 pounds I put on last year while having some health issues (threw myself a rather extended pity party!).
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    I've been here a few times myself. It always works but I just have trouble staying with it. I had 20 pounds to lose last September. Instead of losing, I put on 30 pounds between Sept. and March. I looked terrible, had no clothes to wear, wasn't exercising, and was just disgusted with myself. I'm 65 and a teacher who was also huffing and puffing up the stairs. My husband at least was exercising but we seldom ate out. We tried to start 3-4 times but never made it. There were too many bags of chips, candy, etc. in the house and he kept buying. Finally mid March, we started. I logged my first 2 days showing how many calories I was eating and was overwhelmed. At this time, almost May, he has lost 15 pounds and I have lost 10. It is sssslllllooooowwwwlllllyyyyy coming off but I'm in it for good. I even passed on a donut whole that a birthday student brought for everyone last Thursday. It is so easy after you finally take the plunge. I have no cravings but have a hard time staying away from pickles! Good luck to all of you.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    edited April 2018
    I was sitting on the couch. It was five minutes to midnight. That's what time it was. I don't recall the date or the day, when it happened, but it clicked. I looked at myself, my appearance was a distant, malshaped version of who I use to be. My old injuries, still lingered about and nothing was changing except time was still passing. I got off the couch to change what was into what should be.

On my shelf were my collection of Beachbody DVDs, I acquired in my youth, now gathering dust. They sat there, like a rusty sword in the corner waiting for a pure-hearted adventurer to pick it up and seize it for the battle ahead.

It was now midnight and a new day. It was then that I put in a DVD in the PC, pressed play, and suddenly a voice from above said that I gained a level.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Doctor said I was pre-diabetic and a 10lb weight loss would be the solution for me.
  • Baz_Man
    Baz_Man Posts: 23 Member
    Hi all, started about five years ago and keep coming back 12 months after doing well and then going down hill. This time round it go to the point where I was out of breathe putting my boots on and my belt was down to the last notch (second one on a good day!). I have a ruck of clothes that I haven't work in 12 months as they don't fit. I'm down to two pairs of jeans that fit and my last couple of baggy tops. Got a summer holiday this year and I'd like to feel comfortable in photos and not feel like I've got to leg it into the sea as soon as my T-shirt comes off.

Feel free to add me, I cleared out all the original friends as no-one logged on anymore so I'm on my own at the moment.

Good luck all
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I was friggin fat.....no other way to say it!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Been dieting off and on since age 11; lose the weight, slowly gain it back plus extra. Now prediabetic and borderline hypertensive. Trying to improve those numbers.
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    1. I made lemonade and my arms were sore the next day.
    2. My bras were super tight. That got me cracking.