Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting- just an acceptable way of starving yourself?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    aliblain wrote: »
    I’ve noticed a few people saying that they are combining different types of IF diet (doing 5:2 and 16:8 for example) or limiting their eating window to a very short time. I like IF but part of me is uneasy about the way it makes skipping meals acceptable. What we reckon? Is IF just a way of people disguising disordered eating as an acceptable diet?

No. I do not have an eating disorder, otherwise I wouldn't be overweight. I get sick if I eat in the morning, and I'm not hungry anyway, so I drink my coffee and I'm fine until late afternoon. I start to get a little hungry around 4 or 5 pm, I get off work at 6:30, so this is fine for me. Then I go home and eat. Once in a while I will grab a small snack late afternoon, but I still end up eating within about a 6 hour window every day. I am definitely not starving myself.

Years ago when I tried to lose weight, I tried the eat 3 times a day and snacks, so was eating every couple of hours. That was a lot, and I was never hungry, so actually, I learned to eat more when I wasn't actually hungry. I get hungry now, and nobody will die from letting themselves be hungry for an hour or two.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    From a medical dictionary (https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/starvation):
    Definition:
    Starvation is the result of a severe or total lack of nutrients needed for the maintenance of life.

Starvation is always a calorie deficit, but a calorie deficit isn't always starvation.

starvation would be a deep calorie deficit I would think
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Calorie counting is also a way of starving yourself. Starving from food is how you get your body to use fat stores for energy. Its only a problem if you have a distorted body image or develop nutritional deficiencies from poor choices.

Agreed. Not sure what the woos are about on this one. If we were not all slightly “starving” we would be gaining weight and not losing. “Starving” and “calorie deficit” are just different words stating a similar bodily state. One sounds more harsh than the other and that is the only difference.

Isn't slightly starving like being a little bit pregnant?

the difference though when "starving" you continue to lose weight and you end up with health issues and it can also mean malnutrition. if you are counting calories you can eat enough to prevent these things from happening with a balanaced diet. there is no balanced diet when you are starving. so to me they are not the same thing.and if truly starvieng your body will start to cannibalize itself meaning it will use muscle,lean mass and so on to try and function. with a calorie deficit again you dont run into eating theses issues unless eating too little which in case you would be starving yourself.

That was my point. You can't be a little bit pregnant :wink:

exactly. I was still typing my post when yours popped up so dont know why its before yours lol
  • BloopInAHat
    BloopInAHat Posts: 12 Member
    I think it's a very slippery slope that separates disordered eating from 'normal' ways of eating. I agree with the OP, I think some people do use IF in an unhealthy way (related to their eating disorder). But then, others won't. I don't think IF is bad in and of itself; but it can be used in an unhealthy way. That said though, I really wonder what eating 'healthily' is? The older I get the more I think that it's different for everyone (mentally) and every body (physically). IF is not for me. Eating Mcdonalds all day isn't for me either. But I'm not going to condemn anyone who chooses one or other of those. Their body isn't mine.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I absolutely abused 5:2. I get how it makes perfect sense if done correctly - eat maintenance calories 5 days a week, so that you know how to eat when you make goal and get your deficit by eating the equivalent of 17 meals a week instead of 21. If you really do that, it is a reasonable way to lose weight while still learning to eat exactly as you should.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2018
    I absolutely abused 5:2. I get how it makes perfect sense if done correctly - eat maintenance calories 5 days a week, so that you know how to eat when you make goal and get your deficit by eating the equivalent of 17 meals a week instead of 21. If you really do that, it is a reasonable way to lose weight while still learning to eat exactly as you should.

That, and all the hormones that get jacked up from eating long term in a deficit, and body adaption - don't happen.

Plus if you follow the program correctly and the 2 days are 25% of avg TDEE (not the 500 & 600 thrown out as examples of sedentary people), overall that's only a 22% deficit for the week. Decently reasonable.

Now that I do IF, I think I could find 2 days that would have minimal impact on workouts and recovery.
    But I prefer IF with 4-5 hr window.
  • hotskytrotsky
    hotskytrotsky Posts: 14 Member
    I think the thing about IF and eating disorders is that people with eating disorders often practice forms of intermittent fasting as an expression of a disorder. That doesn't mean anyone who fasts has an eating disorder, but probably some people who are involved in IF use the framework of IF to disguise (to others or to themselves) forms of disordered eating. Almost any method of approaching weight loss has the same issue, though - if people can use it to lose weight successfully, some will use the same method in a destructive way. For me, IF comes with too much baggage to implement safely. But not everyone has the same relationship with eating that I do.
  • Vis77
    Vis77 Posts: 8 Member
    I like doing it, but I binge eat after a while, but I do think fasting is a good thing to do even spiritually and mentally, but I am doing the eat 6 times a day, if I throw fasting in I binge, so I have laid low on it for a while.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I starve myself every night, for about 8-10 hours I don't eat.

As I'm eating at a calorie deficit I am "mildly starving" myself.

Humans store fat very easily because 10,000 years of evolution has conditioned us to be able to go days without eating. Take any collegiate level human physiology course and you'll learn all about that.

There's nothing wrong with intermittent fasting.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I starve myself every night, for about 8-10 hours I don't eat.

As I'm eating at a calorie deficit I am "mildly starving" myself.

Humans store fat very easily because 10,000 years of evolution has conditioned us to be able to go days without eating. Take any collegiate level human physiology course and you'll learn all about that.

There's nothing wrong with intermittent fasting.

Yep.

I have the added "luxury" of taking my Blood Glucose reading when I wake. If I'm below 100 mg/dL, I'll have a banana before I go to the gym. If I'm above, no banana, don't need it. I need less sugar, not more.
This discussion has been closed.