What tip/rule has helped you the most in your weight loss journey?

Replies

• sidcorsini
    sidcorsini Posts: 44 Member
    Everyone has already said,...lots of water, rest, food measurement (scale etc.), avoid 'food-centred' events, drinking, and LOG WHAT YOU EAT. It takes commitment & discipline as there is no magic pill.
  • Vicham76
    Vicham76 Posts: 59 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    You're not on a temporary diet, you've permanently changed the way you relate to food.

Well said Sir. This is a life long.
  • jessicarose22492
    jessicarose22492 Posts: 59 Member
    Andia15 wrote: »
    The one thing that helped me to start and continue losing weight was "you can either let time pass and continue to do what you're doing and being miserable or you can let time pass while making changes and being happier in yourself but either way time is going to pass so make it count."

That little bit of advice helped me to finally get on the weight loss wagon after using the I just had a baby excuse for 10 month. Every time I get tempted I think of it and so far I'm 9lbs down

I LOVE this - great way to think!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    The Dory rule: "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...".

I keep moving my entire workout session.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Admitting I was a food addict, and changing my mindset to reflect that. Behaviorally and mentally, there has been a major change in me since I owned the addiction. Made all the difference! 84 lbs down, and my A1C went from diabetic-level to normal in less than 10 months.

I don't get why three people wooed you on your post of recognizing your food addiction and making changes to your mindset and diet plan to address that issue. I have been battling my own food addiction issues. I have it under control nowadays.

But there have been times in my past that eating certain foods produced a feeling of a "high".

Nowadays I get my highs from swimming. Love the endorphins from my workouts.
  • hotskytrotsky
    hotskytrotsky Posts: 14 Member
    The thing that I've been trying to incorporate with mixed success is not being afraid of being full. I think I've been too wary of experiencing fullness, which made me feel like I over-ate and would gain weight. This led me, counter-intuitively, to eat very calorie-dense things (especially sweets) since they do not really fill you up. Of course I know that eating sweets versus something that keeps you full longer is not a great weight-loss strategy, but I didn't really understand why I felt like I preferred that until I realized that I was afraid of feeling full.
  • jessicarose22492
    Realized I was addicted to eating out.

Spent one month with only food at home & carefully monitored portion sizes as a Reset.

Then, over the next year, decreased eating out gradually & began making healthier food at home very gradually.

Then got eating out down to twice a week, and not finishing the serving.

Six months ago, stopped eating out at all. All my labs are significantly better & I’ve lost 4 to 5-1/2 lbs per month since doing so.

For me, it works best & a side benefit is huge $$$ savings. I know many will think it’s a horrible idea, but I’m posting anyway in case this resonates with even one person— I wish I’d done this years ago.

Thank you for your post. I struggle with eating out a lot - I know cutting back wil lhelp with weight loss & saving money. Don't worry about what other people will think - we are all equal here & you have every right to post what works for you!! :) Definitely going to work on cutting back more than I already have.
  • jessicarose22492
    FlugDolgur wrote: »
    Fat doesn't care if it's a holiday or your birthday and won't give you a pass if you cheat.

Thank you for your post - everyone's viewpoints are welcome here. And you are correct - all calories count sadly LOL.
  • LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    If I'm craving something bad enough I will have it, otherwise I end up eating a lot of other little things instead which is inevitably worse.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    1) buy a scale
    2) this is a new life
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    1) buy a scale
    2) this is a new life

And trust that, although you will have to say goodbye to excessive consumption, it can be a better life. It (and you) are worth it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    If I'm craving something bad enough I will have it, otherwise I end up eating a lot of other little things instead which is inevitably worse.

This is so true.