What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    spdaphne wrote: »
    It's more about quality of food than quantity of food.

Um how's that?

It makes sense. 250 calories of protein and salad is more nourishing thank 250 of crap

Not sure why I got "woo'd" here.

People on here don't believe in nutrition. It's all CICO.

Edit: I just got woo'd enough to bring my count up to 100. Almost all my woos are when I bring up nutrition. Ha ha ha. These people are fun.

No. "People on here" (at least some people) are intelligent enough to realize that they're two separate topics and the issues are contextual.

Yes they are 2 separate issues. However, every time someone mentions that a salad is better for you than a twinkie. (Or something similar) people start arguing saying no it's all about CICO. We know to lose weight is CICO. This is myfitnesspal not myweightlosspal. It is better for your overall health to eat nutritious food. It is also a hell of a lot easier to stay within calorie range when you eat "good" food instead of "bad" food.

^ Typical binary thinking. Completely ignores context and dosage.

Example #1 - ask a marathon runner at mile 21, or a Tour de France rider approaching the end of a stage, if they'd prefer a handful of Skittles or a bowl of organic kale.

Not even the point. The point was when mentioning nutrition in any of these forums people act like nutrition isn't important.

There are "people" who say you can lose weight while in a caloric surplus on keto/IF; there are "people" who say apple cider vinegar will melt the fat off your body; there are "people" who think eating 500 calories a day is a good idea.

People who understand the big picture understand that nutrition is important for a lot of reasons. But speaking purely in terms of weight loss, it's irrelevant. And people who understand the big picture also understand that context and dosage matter a great deal when speaking of nutrition.

Like I said earlier this is myfitnesspal not myweightlosspal. Why do people always want to act as though nutrition isn't important.

I have never seen people say that nutrition isn't important. Can you provide examples that I have missed?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Healthy diet A calorie deficit and doing regular exercise are two is the key factors in weight loss. Obviously, we all know very well that there are no magic remedies to cut the extra pounds of fat within a minute. maintaining a perfect sustainable diet plan is important to remove the stored fat from the body.

Fixed that for you.

Beat me to it. What's necessary is a caloric deficit.

Eric Helms summed up the order of importance perfectly in his Nutrition Pyramid:

6nxc6tfc1865.png

Love this.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    meinco wrote: »
    "A year from now you will wish you started today."

This..
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't lose weight in a way you can't maintain the loss.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662786/unhealthy-diet/p1

Here is a great example of why nutrition is important. This is why saying CICO is all that matters for weight loss.

I guess you must have somehow skipped over the posts talking about nutrition. Maybe if I quote one of them it will help you (I'll even bold part of it to make it easier for you):
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter. A calorie deficit creates weight loss.

For general health and fitness, it absolutely can matter. Nobody here denies that humans have nutritional needs and that failing to meet them can have negative consequences. There is no debate on that.

All I am saying is people need to quit saying CICO is all that matters and eat what you like. That is terrible advice. They should say you should find a healthy balance incorporate things you like and be mindful of your nutrition. Many people get the wrong ideas when you say to eat whatever as long as it fits your goals.

Nobody says this. That's what we've been trying to communicate.

What they do say:

CICO matters for weight loss. Which is true. You can't make weight loss happen any other way.

Here is a quote from a user. I just copied.

"Anything you want as long as you meet your calorie goal for the day."

People keep saying this same thing over and over again. It may be worded differently but it's the same.

I think most users assume that people have some common sense?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ignore all the strawmen hanging around here.

The best advice I ever heard had to do with the idea of seeing everything as a process of cultivating the formation of habits.

That has stood me in good stead with everything from sleep schedule to exercise to making good food choices and meal planning. I not only do these things, I do these things consistently and out of habit because I cultivated them that way.

Excellent point. Habits are powerful and will keep you going long after "motivation" and "willpower" have fallen by the wayside.

I will give credit where it's due. The advice came from @SideSteel.

Then you know it's good! <3
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Options
    I shared this a while back but I like it so I'm sharing it again.

"You can't out train a bad diet."