18 year old skinny male. Low calorie to high calorie diet.

2»

Replies

• My nutritionist suggested the Carnation breakfast packs with 8-12 oz of whole milk. I lost a lot of weight from an illness. I have never gained or lost easily until now. Also if you like peanut butter, Jif makes a Chocolate Silk in To Go packs which is a good source of protein. The protein she is recommending is at least 72 per day. My minimum calorie intake is 1700 per day. I too am 5' 4". To rigorous and exercise program can defeat your weight gain and even cause you to loose weight.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    To rigorous and exercise program can defeat your weight gain and even cause you to loose weight.

If you're not eating back all exercise calories, yes.
    Ditto for if you're creating a lot of catabolic hormones due to the excess exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm 18, 5'4 and only weight like 6st 8lbs. So I'm a pretty small underweight guy. This is my second day of my new diet change. I went from a minor 1500 calorie a day diet to a 3500 calorie diet. The new diet consists of peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches, plenty of eggs and a lot of milk and other stuff of course. My metabolism is very fast. When should I start seeing results? Should I boost it up to 4000 calories?

What results exactly do you want to see?

With your stated program, and from latter post of no strength training, the only thing you will see is fat gain. And you won't even be able to effect where that happens.

Well, actually, try to get really stressed out over gaining fat, and you may help it to gain in your belly, but that's about it.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    I'm 18, 5'4 and only weight like 6st 8lbs. So I'm a pretty small underweight guy. This is my second day of my new diet change. I went from a minor 1500 calorie a day diet to a 3500 calorie diet. The new diet consists of peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches, plenty of eggs and a lot of milk and other stuff of course. My metabolism is very fast. When should I start seeing results? Should I boost it up to 4000 calories?

What results exactly do you want to see?

With your stated program, and from latter post of no strength training, the only thing you will see is fat gain. And you won't even be able to effect where that happens.

Well, actually, try to get really stressed out over gaining fat, and you may help it to gain in your belly, but that's about it.

It depends how strenuous his everyday life is. If he's tossing hay bales, for instance, he will be fine without added strength training (but will need even more calories to offset the burns). Again, tracking intake using MFP or another calorie/macro nutrient tracker is key to succeeding.

Btw, I'm mystified by these nutritionists who decide it's best to double someone's intake all of a sudden. Why does one need a ~1,000-calorie surplus? 200-500 calories has been proven to suffcient for most individuals. Pretty sure there's no way around fat gain when using a diet that adds an extra 1000 cal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So are you 18 yr old male or female?

If your food logging is as accurate as your profile setup regarding gender - I see problems in your future.
  • dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    There's some good advice and some really bad advice here. Don't do cardio. Do 5min warm up on an elliptical or how you like and that's it. This is because the calories you burn you have to eat back. You WILL gain some fat, that's normal. Nutella is ok but it has sugar and sugar is a building block of fat. What helped me was a weight gainer protein mix. Per serving (2-3 scoops), it provides 50-85g protein and 450-1000 calories.

Experience: Went from 130lbs to 150 in a few weeks. I outgrew jeans and they'd be too tight when I'd try to wear them out after buying them. I didn't eat right back then but I probably went from 800 calories/day (didn't do **** and ate mcdonalds once a night) to 3000+...I was 21 back then.

Check out www.stronglifts.com .... great program that focuses on heavy lifting. This + 3000 calories = personal records just recently.
  • dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks for the great advice guys. With this diet though, would I still gain weight fast even if I don't lift? I had a hernia when I was younger so I'm not really suppose to lift heavy items incase it comes back.

Looks like this was missed.

I think you will find this helpful... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133353003
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    If you have been avoiding (s)training your back because you are worried about your past hernia, you can always start up more slowly with some bodyweight back-exercises, see how it feels, build some strength. Most important thing you can do for your back is that when you exercise, is that you keep excellent form to prevent injuries.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Youth and metabolism. Fun stuff.

Honestly at your age this can be hard to gauge. I would say with any program though you need to give it time, a month or two.

At 18, I hated life because I could not gain an ounce, and I drank every weight gain shake under the sun. The reality is lift , but do not overtrain, and try to balance out your diet, make sure that you are also getting the proper rest. Honestly your calorie count seems right, but everyone is different. For me gains came, just a lot slower than for others. It does not happen overnight for most people, as much as wish it would.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    I am of the opinion that you should look at your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and realistically add 500-1000 calories (not more) to that, while combining this with heavy lifting (or some other strenuous strength-building program). Realize that it's hard to add more than 10 lbs of real muscle a year, unless you are in a growth spurt . Then measure and track your progress before changing your eating or lifting routine.

Be willing to have patience. My sons are both in the 20-22 age range and I have encouraged them to look at the long term, because trying to add more than this often becomes excess weight (Read: fat) that adds no benefit. I'm assuming that you don;t have any health issues relating to your weight.

Both of them are eating 500 calories excess and are seeing meaningful results in weight gain as they are both lifting heavy regularly. Cardio is also a big part of their overall routines, so weight is slower to be added, but the lean muscle added has been consistently in the 8-12 lbs per year over the last few years.
  • connorjcairns1999
    connorjcairns1999 Posts: 3 Member
    If your new keep it simple
    Eat clean
    Lift heavy
    Sleep sound

Just be patient and the results will come and in 6-12 months then start messing with different macros and calories
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If your new keep it simple
    Eat clean
    Lift heavy
    Sleep sound

Just be patient and the results will come and in 6-12 months then start messing with different macros and calories

@connorjcairns1999

This is a necro thread last updated August 2013.
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member

Before starting heavy lifting focus and learn form . Since you are lean and any sudden heavy lifting with poor form can cause injuries . Look for Videos from Athleanx on YouTube and see how Jeff was able to add muscle on a hard gainer -Jesse .

• mshidfar2018
    mshidfar2018 Posts: 12 Member
    you should not be in hurry if you want to bulk up mainly with muscle and not fat. lift weights ,rest enough ,have 2 gram of protein per day ,be in calirie surplus (from 100 too 500) but you still should be eating healty food like complex carbohydrates and vegetables not plain sugar and unhealthy fats
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    you should not be in hurry if you want to bulk up mainly with muscle and not fat. lift weights ,rest enough ,have 2 gram of protein per day ,be in calirie surplus (from 100 too 500) but you still should be eating healty food like complex carbohydrates and vegetables not plain sugar and unhealthy fats

Do you mean 2 grams per kilo of body weight?