Too old to weight lift

Hi everyone, im wanting to start weight lifting at the ripe old age of 51, im a runner so used to gym work, the problem is that I stopped exercising last year and put on weight but now I'm getting back into it, I need to loss 14lb of flab to get back to 9st 4, my question is am i too old to start this and get good results

Replies

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Nope.
  • raccoonbhm
    raccoonbhm Posts: 5 Member
    My aunt is in her 70 and does weights and water aerobics as well as pilates. Personally, i am a big fan of yoga because of back injuries. but do what makes you feel good and get a good trainer.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I'm 55. I'm not too old. You're not either.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Ditto above. I would recommend following a structured program, dedicate ample time to warm up/cool down, and learning proper form for various moves before going nuts with the weight. I am following Strong (Schuler & Cosgrove) and I'm a 67 yo female :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    I just went back to lifting weights last fall and I was 47, now 48. I did find a personal trainer who was a woman my age who understood what it feels like to start up a program when you are older. It's been fantastic! I'm so much stronger. I just feel better all around. It hurt for the first month or two but it was worth it.

I started up because I'd taken up mountain biking as well last summer and really wanted to get more fit and strong to be able to do harder and more technical things on my bike. It has helped immensely. I got back on the bike last week and was even stronger than in the fall after taking off winter.

Go for it!
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    i will be sixty in a couple of months. i've lifted on and off for most of my gym rat days. go slowly, find a trainer that realizes that you are closer to fifty than thirty, and give yourself six or eight months before expecting results and you will find that lifting is an excellent way to spend time in the gym.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Def not too old! You can do it! If you are able to start with a trainer, find one who has experience working with older lifters- my mom has run into some issues with trainers who have pushed her to go way too fast for her joints. Learn good form, and enjoy the gains to your skeletal health, balance, confidence, and more! I'm excited for you.