Weight Training Advice

Jasp03
Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I had a post a few weeks back with a question and the answer I received from a good amount of people here was that I should follow a program, which I wasn't doing at the time. I was just basically following my own routine that I put together. Since then, I took the advice and ran with it. One of the suggestions was to do the StrongLifts 5x5.

I've been doing that and it's been nice, but at the end I always ask myself: "That's it???"

So now I come back with another question. I've taken your advice on following a beginner program, but what do I do about at the end of the program for the day, where I feel like I've not worked hard enough? The past 2 weeks that I've been following the program I feel like I've just wasted away the past 2 weeks and at the end of each day, it's just not satisfying enough.

By not working hard enough I don't mean that the weight is light. I'm moving a challenging amount of weight, so that part is ok.

Before this program, every workout day I would feel physically tired and it was good - felt like I accomplished something. Now I'm not saying that I'm not improving or anything like that, because I'm sure I am. It's more of a mental thing where I don't feel like I'm doing enough.

Any and all advise is appreciated as always, thanks!

Edit: Also, StrongLifts 5x5 has me going every other day, which is about 3 days a week. Whereas before, I was doing a different muscle group every day, 5-6 days a week.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    You have to trust the program. But you also have to like the program. If you are challenging yourself, then you are getting a decent SL workout. But if you want something that leaves you feeling more out of breath, there are other programs to choose from. You might be able to find something similar to what you were doing yourself but with a more efficient structure? I think SL has optional add-ons you could maybe do.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2018
    Fatigue is an unreliable indicator of progress. If the weight is challenging to you, then you are on track.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the knock-off SL because it is a shallow facsimile of Starting Strength.
  • Jasp03
    Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
    Fatigue aside, my issue on the advice I'm seeking would still be the same.

I'm not looking to kill myself in the gym, that is not what I am using as a factor for working hard. I've worked hard towards many things in my life time, so I do know what it feels like to work hard towards something.

The program itself, I understand it and I am moving enough weight that makes it a challenge. But at the end of the day, it still mentally feels like I am not having to work hard enough. Maybe I should have phrased my firts post different, as it sounds more of a physical measurement - it's not. Mentally, I feel like my workouts are halfassed since I am only doing a few different exercises.

To me personally, I feel that this SL5X5 program is too easy and not enough work to achieve the ultimate goal that many of us on this board are working hard towards. I'm not saying the program is bad and not worth following - what I'm really trying to ask is one of two things.

1) Am I supposed to be doing other things along with SL5X5 and maybe that's why it feels to me the way it does?
    Or
    2) Should I move onto a different program?

I'm just trying to get more educated when it comes to weight training. I've only been doing it for about 3 months, so I want to make sure I'm working hard but working hard correctly.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited April 2018
    Jasp03 wrote: »

I'm not looking to kill myself in the gym, that is not what I am using as a factor for working hard. I've worked hard towards many things in my life time, so I do know what it feels like to work hard towards something.

The program itself, I understand it and I am moving enough weight that makes it a challenge. But at the end of the day, it still mentally feels like I am not having to work hard enough. Maybe I should have phrased my firts post different, as it sounds more of a physical measurement - it's not. Mentally, I feel like my workouts are halfassed since I am only doing a few different exercises.

To me personally, I feel that this SL5X5 program is too easy and not enough work to achieve the ultimate goal that many of us on this board are working hard towards. I'm not saying the program is bad and not worth following - what I'm really trying to ask is one of two things.

1) Am I supposed to be doing other things along with SL5X5 and maybe that's why it feels to me the way it does?
    Or

I'm just trying to get more educated when it comes to weight training. I've only been doing it for about 3 months, so I want to make sure I'm working hard but working hard correctly.

#1 - Nope, only 5 lifts
    #2 - Your choice. If you hate it, do something else.

Ice Cream Fitness (ICF) is like Stronglifts with added accessory lifts. Maybe you could try that.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member

Or

So what is your goal? It may not be the correct program to achieve your goal.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    You might like something with more volume. The suggestion to do Ice Cream Fitness is good, at least you get some accessory work in. Do you like strength training with the compound lifts? If not you could move to a more "bodybuilding" style program with more isolation work, and your S/B/D would be less frequent.

I like a lot of volume as well but love powerlifting. I picked a program that made me happy but still helps me meet my goals (being as strong as possible while maintaining a relatively lean physique. Plus I love long workouts.)
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Lou Schuler's New Rules of Lifting hypertrophy....that'll get it done! Romanian split squats will make you burn. You can get his books used on Amazon for $10
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I think I understand. You’re doing only 75 reps or only 55 on DL day. That doesn’t feel like a lot even if you are moving weights that are heavy for you.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    The thing is, it will get progressively harder and it will happen KIND of quickly. Like...as an intermediate lifter I could NOT do 5x5 with a progressive overload. It's good to take advantage of linear periodization when you can.

You could run a PPL type of program but I worry with beginners that you don't really track/understand how to achieve progressive overload with those programs like you do with a strength training program, especially one with an app/book/forum/form videos, etc.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I didn't catch this earlier

The past 2 weeks that I've been following the program I feel like I've just wasted away the past 2 weeks and at the end of each day, it's just not satisfying enough.

You have only had 6 workouts, not enough time to evaluate the difficulty. I am assuming you followed the program and started with the bar then the weight is possibly not challenging enough yet. Give it time and then make an informed change if you want.
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Don't you have a trainer in your gym that can help you create your own personal program? Here very gym has it
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    As other have asked. What do you want from yourself? Do want/need to be stronger? then you are on the right track. The concept you are working with now is lift big then rest and let your body rebuild. If you are more interested in athleticism, then you maybe want to consider a strength/circuit combo routine? Building your strength base will help you in the long run, but I understand your need to challenge yourself as well as burn some calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    rose2_0 wrote: »
    The thing is, it will get progressively harder and it will happen KIND of quickly. Like...as an intermediate lifter I could NOT do 5x5 with a progressive overload. It's good to take advantage of linear periodization when you can.

You could run a PPL type of program but I worry with beginners that you don't really track/understand how to achieve progressive overload with those programs like you do with a strength training program, especially one with an app/book/forum/form videos, etc.

This is very true.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    rose2_0 wrote: »

Put me in the intermediate group, too. I have run through StrongLifts 5x5 a couple of times. Have hit the wall both times on squats and bench press. That's ok - I'm 63 and just lifting to stay reasonably strong and mobile. Give it two months. I think you will find it challenging soon enough.
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    If you have the stronglifts app on your phone there are lots of assistance work you can add to extend your workout.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    shor0814 wrote: »

Or

So what is your goal? It may not be the correct program to achieve your goal.

Yup. If you have a goal beyond what the program is geared for, it's not going to be the right program. And there's no universal goal.

Like, for me, I didn't *want* something like Strong Curves, because frankly, I like how my butt is shaped already, and I have no desire to add more to it, and the sense I got from reading about SC was that it was *all* about reshaping the glutes and making a "bigger booty", and nope, that's not my goal.

But New Rules of Lifting was something that I felt I could do, and without making me feel like I was going to end up with something I didn't like. And, even just six workouts in, I feel competent at it -- and feeling competent was my pure goal.