Really slow weight loss despite cutting calories drastically

Replies

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    rose2_0 wrote: »
    So with 132lbs to lose, and a little less than 2lb per week rate of loss...we are still believing that OP is eating 800-900 calories per day? Something seems off.

Meh. I didn't lose anything my first month dieting, then suddenly lost 5 lbs. and have been losing regularly since. Bodies are weird and weight loss is not linear.

True true. Did you have as much weight to lose though? Just curious. I lose very slowly as well.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    So with 132lbs to lose, and a little less than 2lb per week rate of loss...we are still believing that OP is eating 800-900 calories per day? Something seems off.

Meh. I didn't lose anything my first month dieting, then suddenly lost 5 lbs. and have been losing regularly since. Bodies are weird and weight loss is not linear.

True true. Did you have as much weight to lose though? Just curious. I lose very slowly as well.

I had about 80lbs to lose at the start, so a bit less, but still a lot. In the past, I have given up for the same reason. It has been like this for 5-7 years. I don't plan on putting myself in a position to test it, but it felt like I could go on a hunger strike and not lose in that first month. Luckily, I pushed through anyway this time :)
  • rose2_0

I had about 80lbs to lose at the start, so a bit less, but still a lot. In the past, I have given up for the same reason. It has been like this for 5-7 years. I don't plan on putting myself in a position to test it, but it felt like I could go on a hunger strike and not lose in that first month. Luckily, I pushed through anyway this time :)

Yeah it's the same for me. I drop some water but then I'm pretty stagnant for weeks and weeks at a time until one day I step on the scale, look in the mirror, and I'm lean again lol.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    kls1986520 wrote: »
    Sorry I am trying to keep up with all the replies. I guess i will just try to eat different foods with more calories and stay off the scale for a few days at a time. I always read things telling you to eat chicken breast and veggies to lose weight, but I guess that isn’t really right since it has so few calories.... I grew up I’m a house where everyone filled the plate to the brim with pasta and meatloaf and went back for seconds. It was followed up with a big bowl of ice cream every night. Nobody I know is less than morbidly obese. I am trying to learn how to eat but there so much information and misinformation out there that’s it’s a bit confusing. Thank you all for the advice

There is nothing wrong with eating a lean protein like chicken breast and a vegetable when you need to save calories. I do it. Probably just about everyone that likes chicken does it on occasion.

It stops being good for you when it is your dinner, you can't eat anymore, and it doesn't give you the rest of the calories you need for the day.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Anything below 1000 calories is typically considered disordered eating. EDNOS is oftentimes classified as having a higher BMI, but restricting daily calories below 1000 for an extended period of time. You need to eat more. I'm guessing you are actually eating more than you think. Have you used a food scale?
  • kls1986520
    kls1986520 Posts: 9 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Sorry I am trying to keep up with all the replies. I guess i will just try to eat different foods with more calories and stay off the scale for a few days at a time. I always read things telling you to eat chicken breast and veggies to lose weight, but I guess that isn’t really right since it has so few calories.... I grew up I’m a house where everyone filled the plate to the brim with pasta and meatloaf and went back for seconds. It was followed up with a big bowl of ice cream every night. Nobody I know is less than morbidly obese. I am trying to learn how to eat but there so much information and misinformation out there that’s it’s a bit confusing. Thank you all for the advice

There is nothing wrong with eating a lean protein like chicken breast and a vegetable when you need to save calories. I do it. Probably just about everyone that likes chicken does it on occasion.

It stops being good for you when it is your dinner, you can't eat anymore, and it doesn't give you the rest of the calories you need for the day.
    That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I never thought about those “foods to eat to lose weight” as being something to eat when you don’t have many calories left, I just thought of them as being the only goods you are supposed to eat. I want to eat healthy foods, but I also want to BE healthy. Sounds like I need to up the calories.

And yeah I do weigh everything I prepare at home, which is most of my food, and I meticulously count calories to make sure I’m tracking correctly. I guess I’m just choosing the wrong foods
  • rose2_0

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I never thought about those “foods to eat to lose weight” as being something to eat when you don’t have many calories left, I just thought of them as being the only goods you are supposed to eat. I want to eat healthy foods, but I also want to BE healthy. Sounds like I need to up the calories.

And yeah I do weigh everything I prepare at home, which is most of my food, and I meticulously count calories to make sure I’m tracking correctly. I guess I’m just choosing the wrong foods

Not really. There are two ways to increase your calories. If you're happy with the VOLUME of food you're eating, you can choose a higher fat cut of meat or use oil/dressing if you aren't. If you would like to add volume, you can stay with leaner cuts or fat free cheese/dairy, and add an extra snack to the day or side to your dinner. I'm in the volume camp so I will always keep lean meats and veg and try to have a very large plate of food.
  • kls1986520

Not really. There are two ways to increase your calories. If you're happy with the VOLUME of food you're eating, you can choose a higher fat cut of meat or use oil/dressing if you aren't. If you would like to add volume, you can stay with leaner cuts or fat free cheese/dairy, and add an extra snack to the day or side to your dinner. I'm in the volume camp so I will always keep lean meats and veg and try to have a very large plate of food.

Ok yeah I have been trying to avoid volume as I am used to overeating. I try to only eat what will fit within a measuring cup for each meal.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    I completely get the "eat this to lose weight" mentality. That's what my mom always did. When she wanted to lose weight, she had her go-to diet foods and, yep, she'd lose weight. That's how I used to do it, too, because it's how I was raised.. and then I'd gain it back because that way of life is not sustainable.

I don't know your height, weight or age, but if you have 132 lbs to lose, it would seem you are significantly overweight. I am a 5'4", 43 yr old woman that started at 229 lbs. My calorie goal is near double what you are eating. My diary is open if you'd like to take a look at one example of how you can be successful in losing weight, but not cut out the foods you enjoy.

Today, for instance, I knew I would be taking my son out for dinner because he had a concert. I kept my calories low for breakfast and lunch, saving up the bulk for dinner.. and then I ate exactly what I wanted without concern. It was delicious and I don't regret a bite of it.

I am doing this because I know it works. I lost 50lbs when I did this before.. and then life happened and I fell back into my old habits. I am determined not to do that again.

If you'd like a friend, feel free to add me. :)

Bottom line, don't be afraid to eat! Food is not our enemy until we go into excess. No food is 'bad' unless it's spoiled or out of date. Just watch your calorie budget and fit it in when you want it :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Healthy is a subjective term. It is best to leave that out of the equation until you get the basics down and decide what "healthy" means to you. If I were to guess you are probably not interested in the meatloaf dinners that helped contribute to your situation which is why you are dead set on eating other things. The good news is there is a lot of food to explore out there. Food that you can enjoy with reasonable calories instead of being on the high side or low side and when you do want something from the high side you can always eat some grill chicken and vegetables to fit it in :)

I wish I could guide you on your daily calorie goal but others here will be better at it than me. If you don't mind supply your age, height, and current weight to clear up some of the confusion around the 1200 calorie limit.

If EVER you need help understanding anything these forums are full of some really smart people who can help guide you to a healthier you.
  • kls1986520
    Sure. I am 31, 5’4”, and currently at 249.8lbs. My goal weight is 125. I started dieting on April 2nd, and started at 257. When I plug in all my stats to the app it gives me a goal of 1290. Every time I eat anywhere near that, I gain weight. I’m terrified to eat more and lose the progress I have made.
  • serindipte
    Sure. I am 31, 5’4”, and currently at 249.8lbs. My goal weight is 125. I started dieting on April 2nd, and started at 257. When I plug in all my stats to the app it gives me a goal of 1290. Every time I eat anywhere near that, I gain weight. I’m terrified to eat more and lose the progress I have made.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Plug your stats in here. You should be eating 1500-1700 minimum per day. You may not lose as quickly as you'd like, but you'll be on a more sustainable plan and you WILL lose weight. Just make sure you're logging accurately, weigh everything you can and check the entry you're using for accuracy.

I started at 229 lbs, same height and 10 yrs older than you.. I am a slug. So lazy, really. I am very sedentary (though I do intend to change that). I lost 50 lbs by eating 1600ish per day.

Key in on your logging and make sure you're being as accurate as possible, then give it time. :):)
  • serindipte
    By the way, as tempting as it is to eat as little as possible for the fastest weight loss.. what you are doing is causing your body to cannibalize your muscle. That muscle loss will lower your BMR which makes it more difficult to lose weight, not to mention that whole bit about needing muscle for things like movement and heart function. :)

Seriously, get your calories up where they should be, try to hit your protein at about 100g per day to prevent as much muscle loss as possible. Include good fats, they are necessary parts of nutrition.

Don't aim to lose more than 8-10 lbs per month and that will slow down as your weight decreases. That is healthy. We didn't get fat in a month or two. We won't get down to our goal weight in a month or two.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    You can eat more unless there is some kind of medical issue. My starting weight was 237. My current weight is 192. I've lost 45 lbs so far. I cut currently eat 1500-1600 calories daily plus most of my exercise calories. This is a 500 calorie per day deficit. I'm 52. When I started on mfp I was eating a 1000 calorie deficit (around 1450 calories + exercise calories per day) and I wanted to get to 200 as fast as possible to improve some health issues and mobility. I list about 20-25 lbs at 1.5-2lbs. per month then I switched to the higher daily calories for a slower loss. Once I reached 1200 calories I simply couldn't do it. I needed more food. I'm happy losing slower but eating more.