May 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Question: Looking ahead on my training plan and I have uphill sessions. I have no hills near me (I average 6 feet elevation gain on my runs) and no time in the mornings to drive somewhere, run, drive home, and get ready for work (unless I get up at like 2 am which isn't going to happen LOL). Should I go to a slight uphill location in my neighborhood? My elevation gain is from running through our green areas which are technically for rain drainage since we don't have gutters.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Question: Looking ahead on my training plan and I have uphill sessions. I have no hills near me (I average 6 feet elevation gain on my runs) and no time in the mornings to drive somewhere, run, drive home, and get ready for work (unless I get up at like 2 am which isn't going to happen LOL). Should I go to a slight uphill location in my neighborhood? My elevation gain is from running through our green areas which are technically for rain drainage since we don't have gutters.

Any handicap ramps near you? They are basically hills.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member

The rumor here is that Floridians consider overpasses and underpasses to be hills. You work with whatever you have to work with.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    mrsjhardin wrote: »
    I got in 5 miles.... May have to rethink goal as mostly walking/jogging

Your goal can include walking, jogging or running. It's your goal. We compete with ourselves.
  • mrsjhardin
    mrsjhardin Posts: 692 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    mrsjhardin wrote: »
    I got in 5 miles.... May have to rethink goal as mostly walking/jogging

Your goal can include walking, jogging or running. It's your goal. We compete with ourselves.

Thanks for that reminder!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @PastorVincent @MobyCarp I have none of those near me. :'( I seriously live in the flattest part of Phoenix. I'm surprised I don't have negative elevation gain. :D

I'll probably go to the longest/steepest green area we have. Otherwise I'd have to add 30-40 minutes in commute time to reach real hills.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    stairs, parking ramps, overpass bridges
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,424 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso I realize it's not the same, but maybe run stairs in absence of any hills???
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @mbaker566 @Scott6255 sadly none of those near me either without adding 30+ minutes of commute time.

Ugh desert life :D:D:D
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @mbaker566 @Scott6255 sadly none of those near me either without adding 30+ minutes of commute time.

Ugh desert life :D:D:D

Is your race hilly? If not, there is no real reason why you need to do hills. If you are looking for hills just to satisfy your training plan, you can substitute them for speed work by just picking up the pace for the duration/distance of the assigned hill interval. It will give you the same cardiovascular conditioning effect. If you are trying to prepare your muscles for hills because they will be there in your race, then I would suggest maybe taking a drive to a hilly area on the weekend to incorporate them into your run. The final option would be dreadmill, although I personally do not feel that running inclines on a treadmill is a proper substitute for real world hill running.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @lporter229 I don't believe there's hills (that's what they say at least). I do wish I could do more hill work though because when I did them on weekends I set a PR by like 10+ minutes.

I'll probably end up doing a combo of speed work on slight inclines and heading out on weekends to the trails for some hills. Luckily or unluckily I have no access to a treadmill. I do all my runs outdoors.

Or I can move to a hillier area :D