12 Hour Shifts and Exercise

Options
Hello,

I am a student nurse who will be working 12 hour shifts and I am wondering how nurses balace exercise and long shifts to lose weight. I start work next week, and I have just started a fitness routine. I am afraid of falling off the band wagon... Any advice, tips or comments would be helpful.

Replies

• 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't a nurse, but he works 12 hour shifts. He says it's very hard. He walks a lot at work so the days he works he doesn't do any extra exercise. On his days off we try hard to be active.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour rotating shifts from days to nights a lot like a nurse and I try to squeeze my workouts in while I am at work. You can walk up the stairs, pushups burpees just get creative. Try enjoying the outdoors on your days off. Go hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, anything to recharge and clear your mind while getting in your workouts. Best of luck with your career and fitness goals!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required for weight loss. Just ensure you are in a deficit. I am not saying you should not exercise, just that it is not needed to lose weight. If you still want to exercise, why not do it on your days off?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    you are working 12hr shifts as a nurse .... your daily calorie burn is likely to be a lot higher than a person sat at a desk for 7 hours a day that does one hour at the gym.

also

you dont need exercise to loose weight, you just need to be eating less than you burn

Eat for size
    Exercise for fitness
    12 hours a day as a nurse IS exercise

all that said though, resistance training is never a bad thing especially when it comes to not losing muscle mass but I am sure you can find 30 mins every other day to do some calisthenics in the morning when you get up ?

• 911Doughboy
    911Doughboy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hours days, but mainly behind a desk....as a nurse, definitely watch what you eat. the fast food will be tempting but try and stay away....take advantage of your days off. on you work days, try and do some exercise before work...it will take some time to get used to the adjustment, but just keep at it. good luck
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    How many days a week do you work. I work 10 to 13 hours but only 3 days a week. I only work out on my days off. It's too much to try to work out when I've been on my feet all day long. Plus on work days if I worked out too I wouldn't have enough time for anything else.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    12 hour shifts should mean you have 3-4 days off per week. Work out then.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Exercise is not required for weight loss. Just ensure you are in a deficit. I am not saying you should not exercise, just that it is not needed to lose weight. If you still want to exercise, why not do it on your days off?

Hey there,

I will definiatly exercise on my days off, I was just worried 3 days a week is enough for adequate results, along with diet.

I guess Im feeling a little sad because I have been working out 5 days a week and seeing progress, I just want to keep it going lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Rayanne203 wrote: »

Hey there,

I will definiatly exercise on my days off, I was just worried 3 days a week is enough for adequate results, along with diet.

I guess Im feeling a little sad because I have been working out 5 days a week and seeing progress, I just want to keep it going lol

12 hour shifts as a nurse is going to be a lot of general activity, steps, etc. The more active you are in your daily life, the less necessary exercise becomes because you're already moving a lot. Regular exercise is pretty crucial to someone with a desk job, but for someone who is active in their daily life it would be more a matter of specific fitness goals.

When I was in my 20s I never worked out, but I was very healthy and lean and maintained my weight easily because I was active in my daily life doing landscape construction in the summer and retail during the school year and I didn't own a car so I walked or biked everywhere.

3 days is just fine if you're already active in your daily.
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    you are working 12hr shifts as a nurse .... your daily calorie burn is likely to be a lot higher than a person sat at a desk for 7 hours a day that does one hour at the gym.

also

you dont need exercise to loose weight, you just need to be eating less than you burn

Eat for size
    Exercise for fitness
    12 hours a day as a nurse IS exercise

all that said though, resistance training is never a bad thing especially when it comes to not losing muscle mass but I am sure you can find 30 mins every other day to do some calisthenics in the morning when you get up ?

Hey,

thanks for your reply!!

I 100% agree that strength training is necessary, I could try after work. I guess I am just nervous I'll be too beat and do a subpar job at my workout.

You are right, being on my feet 12 hours is a workout. Maybe I could get a Fitbit to track my steps or something and add those as exercise calories, maybe.
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    How many days a week do you work. I work 10 to 13 hours but only 3 days a week. I only work out on my days off. It's too much to try to work out when I've been on my feet all day long. Plus on work days if I worked out too I wouldn't have enough time for anything else.

Hello,

I plan on working 3-4 days a week
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Rayanne203 wrote: »
    12 hour shifts as a nurse is going to be a lot of general activity, steps, etc. The more active you are in your daily life, the less necessary exercise becomes because you're already moving a lot. Regular exercise is pretty crucial to someone with a desk job, but for someone who is active in their daily life it would be more a matter of specific fitness goals.

When I was in my 20s I never worked out, but I was very healthy and lean and maintained my weight easily because I was active in my daily life doing landscape construction in the summer and retail during the school year and I didn't own a car so I walked or biked everywhere.

3 days is just fine if you're already active in your daily.

Hey, thanks for your reply!

I take comfort in knowing 3 days should be adequate :)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I’m a nurse. 1 work 10 shifts a fortnight and I start work at 7am. I get up at 4.30am. Do my StrongLifts 5x5 - that takes about 45 minutes.
    I’m showered and dressed for work by 6am. Pack the kids and my lunches.
    Put out mr 5’s school uniform.
    Kiss the two younger kids goodbye at 6.30 and go to work.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nurse (daughter of one), but I, too, work 12 hour shifts, rotating schedules. (Thin Gold Line) Working out depends on you. Your goals, your plans.

Personally, I have to be at the job at 0645 hours, with a 30 min drive before. If I have a run planned on a work day, I have to get up at 0415 - 0430 (latest) to get it in, as I KNOW full well by the time I get home at 1945 hours, it just ain't happening! Cross training is trickier. Yoga or a short "speedwork" on the stationary bike, I can do that in the early am, too. Otherwise, I save the longer workouts, such as a bike ride, for my days off.

And good luck you your new career! Wish you a long and fulfilling path!
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies!
  • roroinco
    roroinco Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do 10hr shifts behind a desk with a schedule that rotates every 4 months. I take advantage of my small 10 minute breaks to just walk around. I use my treadmill at home on the days I work. On my days off, I go to the gym to vary my workout and to work harder. I don't stress about it on the days I work. I figure as long as I am moving and getting steps in, it's better than nothing. I save time by not having to drive to the gym on those days. I'm working on the C25K program at home.
  • RustyNut1217
    RustyNut1217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm late to the party, but I frequently work 12 hours behind a desk. I don't get to walk around much, but after we come back from our breaks we have "Yoga" 3 times a day, which is some light upper body stretching. I've started to incorporate some seat yoga every other hour throughout the day (Neck stretching, torso twisting, etc.) Its hard, but there's some downtime you can take advantage of.
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    great tips you guys, I am certainly making mental notes about them :)
  • wilsonunc
    wilsonunc Posts: 45 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi! Another fellow 12 hour - shift person! I’m a CNA and hopefully a PA at some point.
    Yeah, on days I work I get 12-20k steps in easily. I park away from the hospital so I have a 20 minute walk before and after work. Usually 1 day out of my 3 shifts, I will work out for an hour after work doing some lower impact cardio (elliptical) to keep my cardio in peak shape. It is hard for me, as I work 7-7p and usually don’t leave work until 8, but I manage!

On days off, I run and shoot for 35-40 miles a week. I also do yoga some.

I have also tried working out before work and showering at the gym but that is pretty tiring!
    I also know some nurses who will work out during night shift.