Anyone take Budesonide (Pulmicort, Entocort, Symbicort)?

Hi everyone!
I was recently diagnosed with Crohns and have been put on Budesonide (Pulmicort, Entocort, Symbicort) 3 mg, 3 times a day. Has anyone every taken this? Does it cause weight gain or any other symptoms?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Yes I'm on it for Crohn's and no weight gain
  • chaarlotte289
    chaarlotte289 Posts: 84 Member
    Yes I'm on it for Crohn's and no weight gain
    Thank you SO much! Any other side effects?
  • singingflutelady
    edited April 2018
    Nope. It's much better than prednisone
  • bren3jet
    bren3jet Posts: 33 Member
    I just finished a round and noticed no difference for weight gain.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I finished a while back for Crohn's. A much better option than evil Prednisone!
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    I did take it for a while and the only effect it had on me was to make my asthma worse.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Note: ENTEROCORT/Budesonide has high first pass metabolism, less systemic absorption vs. prednisone (advantage) giving a more targeted treatment strategy/GI tract. Although it is safer to use vs. prednisone, ACTH suppression still can occur with chronic therapy (MD needs to be monitoring you - Blood pressure, Blood glucose, Electrolytes, cortisol, Itra-Ocular Pressure, Signs & symptoms of infection from immunosuppression).

Increased appetite (<5%) according to Lexicomp. Weight gain isn't even mentioned as an Adverse Drug Reaction; however, edema/ascites/bloating/water retention are more contributing factors with corticosteroids. Budesonide advantage: it is a strong glucocorticoid with virtually no mineralocorticoid activity (less problematic with water retention & sodium retention & potassium wasting).

Bottom line: MD needs to make sure your ACTH/HPA axis is not suppressed (biggest factor contributing to weight gain & fat redistribution "moon face, buffalo hump"/Cushing's syndrome.

*More selective/targeted (safer) than prednisone, but not necessarily better (effective) in all circumstances. Prednisone is used when patient is refractory to Budesonide
  • Ballen9909
    Ballen9909 Posts: 1 Member
    My 18yo son is on it for another disease and has no ill-effects of any kind.
  • singingflutelady
    Have any of you dealt with entocort dependency? Every time I try to wean down (bit not all the way off) I end up in the ER with severe pain so I have to increase the dose again to 9mg. Any tips on how to get off it safely?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Im on symbicort for my asthma to control it and for me no weight gain but water retention stays longer than normal. it doesnt seem to increase my appetite either. but everyone is different and side effects will also be different person to person
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Just a clarification, the Dose form used is an extremely big factor...OP is talking about systemic Budesonide/ENTEROCORT.
    Please guys/girls, stop taking Budesonide out of context with the inhalation forms
    (Drug dealer rant off)
    Have any of you dealt with entocort dependency? Every time I try to wean down (bit not all the way off) I end up in the ER with severe pain so I have to increase the dose again to 9mg. Any tips on how to get off it safely?

You need to be monitored by MD & you can gradually taper down by 3mg intervals based on symptoms severity/flare frequency. Dependency factor is HypoPituitary Axis (HPA) suppression less likely but nonetheless a possibility with Budesonide/ENTEROCORT (MD monitoring...)