Are there really different body types?

I need help. Is it true that there's different body types like endomorphs, etc.? I've heard that they both exist and that they're a myth. I only ask because the argument that says they exist have so many different rules about what you can do as an endomorph in your diet and exercise(one article told me not to try and lift my heaviest. I don't think so...) and it's just so overwhelming. Do you have to change your fitness journey based on your "body type" or is it simply about caloric deficits?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Genetics play a role in your body composition such as muscle bellies, insertions, where weight is distributed more so....etc. but when it comes down to weight loss and metabolism, is usually pretty consistent among humans, we all just have different energy expenditures and hormones that can affect that
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Yes there are but its just people trying to put everything and everyone in "groups". We love to label everything. Its like music: you are either pop or country or hip hop, etc. It has to be shoved into a classification regardless.

In the end, we are all kind of our own unique body type. No one is going to be exactly quite like you. So to say your "body type" means you need to do something different than some other "body type" is kinda hooey. All you can do is be the best version of you!
  • EatLikeAHuman
    EatLikeAHuman Posts: 30 Member
    Everybody has a different body type. The science of losing weight and gaining muscle, however, is the same for everybody (barring any medical issues, some medications lead to stuff like cushings syndrome, etc).

It's a shame for anyone whose natural body shape doesn't fit the "ideal" because they may think they're doing something "wrong".

Nobody is naturally OBESE but some people are just "thicc" as the kids say. Others naturally skew slender and would have a harder time looking like a beef bus if they wanted to. Some have wide shoulders, others narrow. Etc. Etc.

But in the end, their healthiest shape will only come out with proper diet and exercise. Whatever that shape may be.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    I agree that there are different body shapes. The way I deal with mine is I try to dress in clothes that are as flattering for my shape as possible. Then I ignore the whole endomorph/ectomorph categories and just eat at a calorie deficit and voila! Weight loss occurs!
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    But somatotypes were designated due to "behavior" not because of genetics. Somatotypes NEED to be dispelled because they really don't have that much to do with weight loss at all, yet there are scammers trying to get people to believe it.

I get that; I've seen and rolled my eyes at countless "eat for your body type" books and their ilk. My point was merely that all bodies are different and do not necessarily respond to food/exercise the exact same way, which is not to say that they can't all benefit from exercise and monitoring their intake.

I would have thought "genetic star sign" was denigrative enough to make it clear that I'm not a proponent of the idea.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Our bodies, our metabolic pathways, even our hormonal responses are remarkably similar - such to the point that only molecular biology, physiology, gross anatomy are taught instead of "John's biology, Ann's renal system, Michael's endocrinology"...

No - there is no objective evidence supporting somatotrophs. Weight/symmetry is predominantly an output of behavior. Genetics may establish parameters, but behavior can push beyond these parameters.

Making it seem overwhelming is one of the goals of marketers of woo. If you knew that all you had to do was eat within budget and just move your body you'd put them out of business.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Everyone looks the same when severely obese or underweight.

Completely disagree. Having watched several seasons of My 600 Lb Life, I find it very interesting to see how completely different people can still look at 600+ pounds. One may have a massive apron, while one looks almost normal (overweight normal) up top, but has immense thighs/legs and butt.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    I believe bodies are different, not necessarily as somatypes but some will have wider, stocky builds while others are lean and 'willowy'. In serious ballet schools, young dancers are assessed for their body types and some simply won't make the cut based on not having the right frame, regardless of their eating and training regimes. Same for runway models, and certain athletes. Some people have a much easier time putting on muscle or fat or both, and as a rule, it tends to be those 'stocky' types while the lean types have more difficulty gaining both. Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova both train heavily in the same sport and are in optimum shape for it and have personal trainers and dietitians, yet they look incredibly different for instance.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Endo, ecto, meso are silly oversimplifications and that's clear to see. But yes, everyone packs weight in different places in different proportions. Two people of the same height who weigh the same could be at different risk because one has the more benign thigh fat and the other has the more problematic visceral fat.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    edited May 2018
    Everyone looks the same when severely obese or underweight.

Completely disagree. Having watched several seasons of My 600 Lb Life, I find it very interesting to see how completely different people can still look at 600+ pounds. One may have a massive apron, while one looks almost normal (overweight normal) up top, but has immense thighs/legs and butt.

Yes, I noticed that too! It's actually more noticeable in them than 'regular' people.

I had a boss once who had two young daughters. All three of them, beautiful Persian women, were perfectly slender all throughout their top half, yet had very wide hips, large rears and heavy legs. Like two different people top and bottom. The mom was 45ish, and daughters 20 and 16 and all had the same weight distribution. Genetics is a *baby feline*.
  • cfgreear
    cfgreear Posts: 189 Member
    Yes there are indeed different body types. Those don't define everything your body is capable of or limit you from getting in shape, but different basic types do exist. Im naturally an endomorph and can pack on muscle or fat as quickly as I want to. I have a very wide bone structure with thick bones and am somewhat short at 5'9". My ectomorph nephews are 6'4" and very lean and skinny and cant put on muscle despite cramming in 3500 calories a day. They have a tall and narrow bone frame and store their fat entirely different than me as well. Its nice to have a somewhat varied body structure to some people in my family since we have some very mixed genetics cause it allows me to see both extremes.