Getting a trainer yay or nay?

I workout 3xs a week cardio and weight training. My Dad was a hardcore body builder when I was growing up so I know about proper form etc but wondering if having a trainer would be beneficial to me or just stick to doing my own thing. Opinions welcome.

Replies

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    I just got one and he is great so far. He seems knowledgeable.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    If you feel like you’re in a rut, I say get a trainer. Even if for one session. They can show you things that you didn’t think about. The good thing is, you know how to do the exercise properly, so you wouldn’t need another session.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Oh and one other thing. Not sure of what your 3x cardio is but a trainer might show you other ways to get your cardio in and help you with other areas. My trainer knew I did Spinning, so they through in Yoga and I couldn’t believe how hard it was to get thru the class because I was using different muscles. Just a thought.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    I’d do some interviewing. Had previously joined a national brand gym that “gave” a free consultation to new members. Guy I talked with was so full of bro-science bull shrimp I knew he was full of crapola even before I had learned anything about weight management or fitness.

Eventually worked with a trainer for a while at another location who was great, used science to back recommendations and taught me a good bit about form and prioritizing activity based on my goals.

Can be great, but use major caution. More should-be used car salespeople than in car sales by %. Good ones are great, and unfortunately rare.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    I workout 3xs a week cardio and weight training. My Dad was a hardcore body builder when I was growing up so I know about proper form etc but wondering if having a trainer would be beneficial to me or just stick to doing my own thing. Opinions welcome.
    Let me just say that knowing form and execution are 2 different things. Not to mention that even pros have coaches. It just depends on willing you are to spend the money if it's important to you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I used one when I first started to get knowledge about eating, how to keep food diary, and above all set up a fitness plan to reach my goals. I had no idea about incorporating weight lifting and how important it was to get cardio as many days a week as possible. If you think you need it, then go for it. You can probably do a couple sessions for free or at least speak to one for free first and see if it'll be right for you.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    There are a lot of ways a trainer could be helpful... but none of us can determine whether or not one will be helpful to you.

IMO, if there is a problem that needs fixing, fix it. Otherwise, don't go looking for solutions to problems that don't exist.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2018
    For me personally, i go to fitness classes at my gym. They're taught by certified teachers who are knowledgeable in their areas. Missy importantly, when i have questions - they answer! They also push me in classes to do the next set and to gave the next move pre planned - i don't waste time or mental energy on coming up with my workout.

Bike set right for cycle? Sure. Why's my knee hurt 8 miles in? Check my feet. Why's down dog so flipping hard? Adjust your hands. Why isn't my squat getting my glutes? Adjust my gaze and look up more... i could go on and on.

My teachers all want to help. They want me to succeed and be safe. The only reason i would get a trainer is if i wanted specific goals met other than general fitness/ well-being.

That said, i know that not all teachers and gyms are created equal. But I've had a good experience with my Y and I've been a member almost 10 years.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I am not sure if by "do my own thing" you mean working out on your own on a particular program or just winging it in the gym. So I just wanted to add, whether or not you get a trainer, you really would do yourself a favor by choosing a proven lifting program rather than designing your own.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited May 2018
    Really depends on you and what benefit you're looking for.

When I started working with a trainer it was because I wanted to incorporate Olympic lifting into my workouts and become more proficient in them...I also was looking for better overall athleticism and to be a better cyclist and to take my fitness beyond what it was (which was pretty good).

I loved working with my trainer...all of his clients do Olympic lifting and he trains a lot of high end amateur athletes, as well as a number of professional athletes and Joe Shmoes like me...I was in pretty good shape going in, but he took things to another level and showed me a gear that I didn't know I had.
  • VoodooChile76
    VoodooChile76 Posts: 47 Member
    Agree with most ideas here... Get one if you feel it'll boost you're workout routine & if you're stuck. I usually stick to a workout program...but every so often it's good to check in with a 6 mo training block here & there.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member

I hired a trainer in the beginning because I was clueless. I learned a lot in our 5 sessions and decided to give it a go alone for a bit. I told myself that if I felt stuck or confused then I would hire him again. I managed to lose 75 pounds on my own. I took what I learned from him, read up on form and different workouts and it all worked out! If you feel like you aren't making progress or you're unsure of what to do then I would hire someone. Otherwise, you can probably do it on your own!
  • JanetBiard
    JanetBiard Posts: 19 Member
    I have a trainer and I find it really useful. If I go to the gym on my own I know I don’t push myself as much as my trainer pushes me.
    I started seeing a trainer to rehab my shoulder after surgery as I had no shoulder strength. This has improved hugely. I also wanted to learn to lift weights correctly. We mix sessions up with weights, cardio, bit of boxing, trail running.
    In part the PT sessions are time for me, to let me work on my goals. They are fun and keep me motivated.
    You can always give it a try and see what you get out of it.