Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Honestly, jogging and pilates, while good exercise, is not really going to contribute to a recomp. Only lifting 1 or 2x a week is suboptimal, which will drive suboptimal results. If your goal is recomp, you'd put yourself in much better of a place lifting 3 or 4x a week (full body or upper/lower split) and then filling in the other times with jogging or pilates.

I can definitely lessen pilates. Now, I use it mostly as a less intense CrossFit/strength training since I don't have weights at home.

I exhaust pretty quickly when I lift (might be because I see these huge guys lifting at the gym and I'm this short girl that's taking up space in the weights area so I might be getting too heavy weights to fit in? Idk) so I only ever manage 20 minutes on an area (I do 20m lower body, 15m upper body, 5m abs and just get in a lot of ab time when I do pilates). Would you suggest I lower my weights then get in more sets or add new moves to spend longer on upper body or lower body per day?

Would this sound good as a workout cycle? Upper body, run, pilates, rest, lower body, rest (upper body, rest, so on, so forth).

What are your goals? What do you want out of your body? Do you have goals outside of a body physique?

Also, remember, when you are a gym, most people aren't paying attention to you.. at least if they are serious.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2018
    What are your goals? What do you want out of your body? Do you have goals outside of a body physique?

Also, remember, when you are a gym, most people aren't paying attention to you.. at least if they are serious.

Lower BF % but same weight. At 5"0, I'm 98 pounds and don't want to go lower. I'm not opposed to going a bit higher as it'll be muscle weight anyway. I'm hoping to catch my glutes up to my quads as well (I do different squat variations and probably too little moves that activate my glutes more?). I know I can't fat reduce but the only part of my body that seems to be showing fat is my thigh area (especially inner thigh), so I'm mostly hoping to tone them. Hoping toned legs will help me look a little taller too. Can I message you privately with my starting pic to give you a better idea?
  • psuLemon

Lower BF % but same weight. At 5"0, I'm 98 pounds and don't want to go lower. I'm not opposed to going a bit higher as it'll be muscle weight anyway. I'm hoping to catch my glutes up to my quads as well (I do different squat variations and probably too little moves that activate my glutes more?). I know I can't fat reduce but the only part of my body that seems to be showing fat is my thigh area (especially inner thigh), so I'm mostly hoping to tone them. Hoping toned legs will help me look a little taller too. Can I message you privately with my starting pic to give you a better idea?

Yea, you can PM the links. And ill pull together my opinion for you.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    @psuLemon You are a doll! I’ll invest in some protein powder to add into my morning coffee instead of milk and stevia.

Will try out your StrongCurves program suggestion before the bulk/cut as I’ll likely have to build up slowly on my eating habits. Aside from being taught the basic moves and given a workout routine by a friend + what I’m learning in CrossFit, I’m pretty much a beginner to the lifting scene and have stayed with mostly cardio activities.

So I’m super grateful for your help and patience with my questions!
  • Manequinhas
    Manequinhas Posts: 8 Member
    Hello guys,

I could use some advice's.
    Right now i'm around 83 kg, my height is 189 cm and my BMI is 23.2 which is between the normal weight (18.5–24.9). I have something like 14.5 - 15% body fat. My goal is to get to around 80 kg because i still have a little bit of fat in my belly.
    Should i recomp now or when i get to 80 kg?
    I do Calisthenics training.

Thank you!
    Luís Castro Soares
  • Manequinhas
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hello guys,

Right now i'm around 83 kg, my height is 189 cm and my BMI is 23.2 which is between the normal weight (18.5–24.9). I have something like 14.5 - 15% body fat. My goal is to get to around 80 kg because i still have a little bit of fat in my belly.

Thank you!
    Luís Castro Soares

Short answer is do now what you intend to do for recomp, but with a tiny calorie deficit so that your training and recovery is minimally impacted while you lose the last few kg.
    Callisthenics aren't going to be optimal for adding muscle.

Hey!

Thanks for the answer. :)
    My TDEE is 2559 and i'm eating 2047 calories per day which is a 20% deficit.
    My macros are:
    143g carbs - 205g protein - 73g fat
    (28% - 40% - 32%)

What do you mean by a small deficit? Like 10%?

Thanks,
    Luís Castro Soares
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Hello guys,

Thank you!
    Luís Castro Soares

Short answer is do now what you intend to do for recomp, but with a tiny calorie deficit so that your training and recovery is minimally impacted while you lose the last few kg.

Hey!

My macros are:
    (28% - 40% - 32%)

Thanks,
    Luís Castro Soares

The bigger the deficit / faster the rate of loss then the chances of gaining any muscle decline dramatically.

10% sounds reasonable.
    (I had to go lower but my situation was also different - much older and been training for ages.)

Worth tracking your body measurements (tape measure) and taking progress photos.
    If your 15% body fat estimate is accurate you should be able to see progress in leanness and definition appear quite easily.
  • Manequinhas
    Hello guys,

Thank you!
    Luís Castro Soares

Hey!

My macros are:
    (28% - 40% - 32%)

Thanks,
    Luís Castro Soares

The bigger the deficit / faster the rate of loss then the chances of gaining any muscle decline dramatically.

10% sounds reasonable.
    (I had to go lower but my situation was also different - much older and been training for ages.)

Worth tracking your body measurements (tape measure) and taking progress photos.
    If your 15% body fat estimate is accurate you should be able to see progress in leanness and definition appear quite easily.

Thanks for the answers! You helped me understand things better. :smiley:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but I'm not going to read 105 pages. I skimmed the first 5 and didn't see it addressed, so...

Does the type of lifting routine matter when recomping (i.e. strength vs hypertrophy vs...)?
    - I don't enjoy lifting, so any program is going to be simply a means to an end. Might as well go with the best means...
    - For me, lifting will be 99% about improvements in appearance/body comp
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but I'm not going to read 105 pages. I skimmed the first 5 and didn't see it addressed, so...

Does the type of lifting routine matter when recomping (i.e. strength vs hypertrophy vs...)?
    - I don't enjoy lifting, so any program is going to be simply a means to an end. Might as well go with the best means...

From what I've seen, it's best to keep your reps in the 8-12 range, and you want the program to be progressive, so as you make gains you can increase the weight to keep pushing your muscles.

As far as enjoying lifting, there are some exercises I enjoy a lot, and others I do NOT enjoy. I think my body just doesn't "fit" certain movements. There are usually multiple moves you can do for any one muscle group, and I'm definitely a proponent of compound lifts that hit lots of muscle groups at the same time (squats, dead lifts, presses, etc) as well as body weight exercises like push ups and pull ups.

Just find something that you like and run with it! But you need to keep pushing yourself and making it progressively harder to get real gains in a recomp plan.
  • psuLemon
    briscogun wrote: »

From what I've seen, it's best to keep your reps in the 8-12 range, and you want the program to be progressive, so as you make gains you can increase the weight to keep pushing your muscles.

As far as enjoying lifting, there are some exercises I enjoy a lot, and others I do NOT enjoy. I think my body just doesn't "fit" certain movements. There are usually multiple moves you can do for any one muscle group, and I'm definitely a proponent of compound lifts that hit lots of muscle groups at the same time (squats, dead lifts, presses, etc) as well as body weight exercises like push ups and pull ups.

Just find something that you like and run with it! But you need to keep pushing yourself and making it progressively harder to get real gains in a recomp plan.

I'd argue against this sticking point. Following a structured program that runs a variety of rep ranges is going to provide the best results, because those big moves support the ability to increase more volume with high rep work. It's why programs like PHAT and PHUL are so effective.

@jjpptt2 the best thing you can do is run a few programs for awhile and see what you enjoy the most. Or find a progressive resistance program you enjoy. I have worked with clients that have see great recomp results from everything to include dumbbell programs, lifting programs and crossfit.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    tagging
  • jjpptt2
    briscogun wrote: »

I'd argue against this sticking point. Following a structured program that runs a variety of rep ranges is going to provide the best results, because those big moves support the ability to increase more volume with high rep work. It's why programs like PHAT and PHUL are so effective.

@jjpptt2 the best thing you can do is run a few programs for awhile and see what you enjoy the most. Or find a progressive resistance program you enjoy. I have worked with clients that have see great recomp results from everything to include dumbbell programs, lifting programs and crossfit.

Thanks for the response @psuLemon. I haven't looked at PHAT or PHUL in a while, but I know the general philosophy behind them. I think. (c'mon memory... you can do it).

For now I'm leaning towards sticking with a 5/3/1 variation. It's worked for me in the past, I like Wendler's general philosophy behind it, and it's easy for me to run based on available time, equipment, etc. I'll probably run BBB to add a bit more volume and shift the focus more towards hypertrophy. Or at least a strength/hypertrophy hybrid.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Can a recomp be effective for a beginner who has not gained much muscle but is still pretty lean (10-12% body fat for a male) with a low BMI overall? I know a bulk would be most beneficial in this case, but I was curious if a recomp could also work or if it's just to little body fat (12-14 lbs in this case).
    I have seen very few examples of people who recomped in this situation.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Can a recomp be effective for a beginner who has not gained much muscle but is still pretty lean (10-12% body fat for a male) with a low BMI overall? I know a bulk would be most beneficial in this case, but I was curious if a recomp could also work or if it's just to little body fat (12-14 lbs in this case).
    I have seen very few examples of people who recomped in this situation.

Nvm, I think from what I've seen I would suspect it would not work well.

• jjpptt2
    Will it work? Yes. Will it be the most effective/efficient? Probably not.

But it's your life, your process... run it how you want. You get to decide what's right/best for you.