this whole not running is a struggle. 2 more days and i'll be running 13.1

i mathed poorly goal is 150 not 200

5/1-0mi
    5/2-0mi
    5/3-0mi

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @mbaker566 You have 4 rest days before a half marathon? Wow. I remember my first HM training program had me run 4 days the week before, an easy 3 miles each day. The easy 3's felt like I just got started before I had to stop, and I only had one full day of rest before the half. And that was a program designed to get people who had never run the distance up to completing a half marathon. It was more conservative than I needed to be for my 2nd and later half marathons.
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Ok, back in after a crazy month. I've gotten out of my running habit. So I'll start slow again.

30 miles for the month.

Bossymom15

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    05/01/18 - 1/2 mile walk
    05/02/18 - 1 mile walk + 6.6 mile easy run
    05/03/18 - 1.3 mile walk

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

05/05/18 - Runner of Steel 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Walks do not count against taper right? :lol:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited May 2018
    Well, not the most auspicious start to May, but I'm not going to let it throw me! Last night I crashed really hard and woke up sore and grumpy. It could be a lot of things: jumping back into running too fast, mental health stuff with starting to work from home and money being tight, not giving myself enough time to recover from donating blood Tuesday morning, or a combo. Either way, I'm thinking about dropping my third day of running for the time being. I was running three days a week irregularly last year but with half the distance. I'm possibly being way too conservative and would love to hear what any of you more experienced folks think (I know bottom line I have to trust myself, but it's so hard sometimes!). I'd plan on the week of the 14th as a "deload" and then add a third day the week of the 28th.

5/1 Tu - 0:27:21 - 2.41 miles (ETA: This was before donating blood, not after - sorry that was unclear)
    5/2 We - Lift
    5/3 Th
    5/4 Fr - Lift
    5/5 Sa - 3 miles
    5/6 Su
    5/7 Mo - Lift
    5/8 Tu - 2.5 miles
    5/9 We - Lift
    5/10 Th
    5/11 Fr - Lift
    5/12 Sa - 3.4 miles
    5/13 Su
    5/14 Mo - Lift
    5/15 Tu - 2.5 miles
    5/16 We - Lift
    5/17 Th
    5/18 Fr - Lift
    5/19 Sa - 2.5 miles
    5/20 Su
    5/21 Mo - Lift
    5/22 Tu - 2.7 miles
    5/23 We - Lift
    5/24 Th
    5/25 Fr - Lift
    5/26 Sa - 3.8 miles
    5/27 Su
    5/28 Mo - Lift
    5/29 Tu - 2.2 miles
    5/30 We - Lift
    5/31 Th - 2.2 miles

TOTALS: 27.21 miles
  • MobyCarp
    @PastorVincent - You can walk as much as you like during taper. Only running is restricted. The sports doc many of my club members go to is a big fan of 2 mile walks on rest days and recovery days. (Not that I do everything he says; he's really down on running Dedham 13 days after running Boston, and I've done that 2 years in a row.)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Weather. We have sun/heat. I'm used to that. I have run during haboobs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. Wind and sand in the eye kinda stinks (and where is this sand coming from in the concrete desert?!?!)
  • MobyCarp
    Well, not the most auspicious start to May, but I'm not going to let it throw me! Last night I crashed really hard and woke up sore and grumpy. It could be a lot of things: jumping back into running too fast, mental health stuff with starting to work from home and money being tight, not giving myself enough time to recover from donating blood Tuesday morning, or a combo. Either way, I'm thinking about dropping my third day of running for the time being. I was running three days a week irregularly last year but with half the distance. I'm possibly being way too conservative and would love to hear what any of you more experienced folks think (I know bottom line I have to trust myself, but it's so hard sometimes!). I'd plan on the week of the 14th as a "deload" and then add a third day the week of the 28th.

5/1 Tu - 0:27:21 - 2.41 miles

While all of the stuff you mention could contribute to a bad run, I'd vote for "Running after Donating Blood the Same Day" as the biggest contributing factor. The Red Cross and every serious runner I've heard talk about it agree that this is not a good idea.

The effect of donating blood on running isn't very noticeable for easy running in the following days, but I've seen it degrade race performance 3 days after a donation. That was the episode that got my attention and made me think about post-donation running performance. Later, my doctor (not a sports doc) advised me not to donate blood within 2 weeks of a race. I don't know how much of that was general advice applicable to everyone, and how much was based on my specific fitness and medical condition.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »

While all of the stuff you mention could contribute to a bad run, I'd vote for "Running after Donating Blood the Same Day" as the biggest contributing factor. The Red Cross and every serious runner I've heard talk about it agree that this is not a good idea.

The effect of donating blood on running isn't very noticeable for easy running in the following days, but I've seen it degrade race performance 3 days after a donation. That was the episode that got my attention and made me think about post-donation running performance. Later, my doctor (not a sports doc) advised me not to donate blood within 2 weeks of a race. I don't know how much of that was general advice applicable to everyone, and how much was based on my specific fitness and medical condition.

See... I just knew there was a benefit somewhere to being medically disqualified from donating blood (because of the potential "mad cow disease" - not joking).
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member

Oh yeah, I can absolutely see that. I actually ran in the morning before giving blood, then waited a little over 24 hours before lifting around noon of the next day, but my body might still be upset about the combo.

See... I just knew there was a benefit somewhere to being medically disqualified from donating blood (because of the potential "mad cow disease" - not joking).

I believe you! I was disqualified for many years before the mad cow restriction period was changed. Then I was disqualified because of a bisexual ex-boyfriend, but that was changed not to long ago, too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    @MobyCarp I am not following a plan this time around but last 3 times it had a mile a couple of times prior to it. but I taught 2 hours of aerial yoga yesterday, an hour tonight. I'll probably do a mile tomorrow to shake out. Also, running with an autoimmune that can flare at any time so i try to minimize all activity the week before because there is nothing like a long run when you feel like you have the flu and your skin is burning off

tldr?: lots of excuses
  • MobyCarp
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp I am not following a plan this time around but last 3 times it had a mile a couple of times prior to it. but I taught 2 hours of aerial yoga yesterday, an hour tonight. I'll probably do a mile tomorrow to shake out. Also, running with an autoimmune that can flare at any time so i try to minimize all activity the week before because there is nothing like a long run when you feel like you have the flu and your skin is burning off

Actually, pretty good excuses. In the context of everything else you're doing, no running other than the shake down run makes sense.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Actually, pretty good excuses. In the context of everything else you're doing, no running other than the shake down run makes sense.

well if you say they are good excuses, i feel better about them. :wink:
  • PastorVincent
    The official marathon forecast is up. It is not bad, edging towards too warm though for a real PR attempt.

mza5ye60db2q.png

There is a chance of a "light cool rain" - which probably be welcome. Glad I have been running in the rain a bunch since this race last year, unlike prior years. If nothing else it removes the negative attitude impact knowing it is not a big deal. :)

My wave probably will not get going till 7:30 or 7:45 at the earliest so that puts my finish around noon, and my wife around 1:30 at the earliest (not only will she be slower, but her wave will start later too).

Anyone else running Pittsburgh this Sunday?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I need advice from the previous injured. My injured thread seems dead, I'm all alone over thare. Which is a good thing.

Ok. I had ITBS surgery (hip) and it's been killing me this week. I think I over did it walking hills this last weekend. I emailed the PA, honestly included my uphill activity.

My reply from him was:

"Keep doing the stretches and exercises you know to do from the rehab routine, and this should just sort itself out. If pain increases, despite the stretching daily and twice weekly strenghtening along with 5 days weekly aerobic activity, call us back for a recheck sooner than you are already scheduled.
    Thanks"

"5 days aerobic activity"? FIVE? I'm at zero. Okay I need to do the PT, work gets in the way and I have slacked. I can fix that.

Do I wait until I am up to 5 days of aerobic activity with out increased pain before I decide I need to be seen? So? Run (one minute, two minute...) through this? Suck it up?

I don't go back until July 23.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

I believe you! I was disqualified for many years before the mad cow restriction period was changed. Then I was disqualified because of a bisexual ex-boyfriend, but that was changed not to long ago, too.

Not sure about you, but there is no "restriction period" in my case - it is a lifetime ban because I took beef insulin a very long time ago.
  • mbaker566
    personally, i'd commit to the PT for 5 days, then evaluate but i'm a suck it up sorta girl
  • PastorVincent
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I need advice from the previous injured. My injured thread seems dead, I'm all alone over thare. Which is a good thing.

Ok. I had ITBS surgery (hip) and it's been killing me this week. I think I over did it walking hills this last weekend. I emailed the PA, honestly included my uphill activity.

My reply from him was:

"Keep doing the stretches and exercises you know to do from the rehab routine, and this should just sort itself out. If pain increases, despite the stretching daily and twice weekly strenghtening along with 5 days weekly aerobic activity, call us back for a recheck sooner than you are already scheduled.
    Thanks"

"5 days aerobic activity"? FIVE? I'm at zero. Okay I need to do the PT, work gets in the way and I have slacked. I can fix that.

Do I wait until I am up to 5 days of aerobic activity with out increased pain before I decide I need to be seen? So? Run (one minute, two minute...) through this? Suck it up?

I don't go back until July 23.

I is no doc! However, since you have yet to follow the PT's orders, I would first try to do with they said to do before I did anything else. Listen to your body the whole time, if it seems like something is wrong as you ramp up to the directions, stop and call them again.

Again, I is no doc! I do not even play one on TV! So YMMV, IMO, and ETC. :)