Scale is not moving but clothes are fitting better

I do not use this app as much as I used to, but I have been trying to get back into the swing of things. I have been regularly going to the gym for 4 months now, several days a week doing 2 fitness classes a day. I lost a little bit of weight (according to the scale) at first, but have not really moved much in the past 2 months. I even changed my goal from 1 pound to 2 pounds a week. The scale rarely moves more than a 1/4 pound, and then the next day it is back up. Thankfully, I am not gaining. My clothes fit much nicer, and my inches are moving - but that scale number was a big motivator - and I feel my motivation slipping hard. Any ideas what I can do? Where I am going wrong? I am severely obese - so I feel the weight should be coming off better than it is (despite having PCOS).

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    How many calories do you eat
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Are you logging all of your food consistently and accurately?
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    I am averaging around 1950 calories a day. I am logging all of my food (making sure to include every little bit). I need to get more consistent - I do miss days due to running kids around.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think logging the food is really key. Working out is awesome for your body and clearly you are seeing progress from that. But as far as losing pounds it's all about that daily intake. I found the amount MFP suggested for me was just about dead-on for losing, but sometimes I think people need to change it up if it is not working (activity level from active to sedentary maybe, or start using a food scale if you haven't been...I have never used a food scale myself but hear it's very helpful to many). Also I have seen a bunch of PCOS groups here that may be helpful to you specifically. Good luck!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I would verify your weight with another scale before assuming you are doing anything wrong. I can't imagine how you have lost inches and not weight.
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    My biggest issue is my hubby and friend keep telling me "it's just gaining muscle from lifting weights at the gym". I do lift weights - and I have gotten much stronger - but you don't really gain muscle if you are not eating at a surplus, right?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    My biggest issue is my hubby and friend keep telling me "it's just gaining muscle from lifting weights at the gym". I do lift weights - and I have gotten much stronger - but you don't really gain muscle if you are not eating at a surplus, right?

I wish gaining muscle was that easy! It's incredibly difficult to build muscle when eating in excess, and virtually impossible to do so when eating at a deficit - You may gain a little as 'newbie gains' but it's never much.

Are you tracking your weight using a tracking app? It makes it easier to identify trends and what way you are heading by smoothing out the day-to-day fluctuations.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    OHo7UHA.jpg

I also second the recommendation for using a weight tracking app (I use HappyScale).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Do you use a food scale? If not you might be eating a bit more than you realize.

Have you tried meal prep? Prep all your meals for the week or at least a couple for those days when you are super busy. By doing this you have prepared meals that are already portioned for your day.