166lbs. Good RMR. High body fat % for weight. Down 70lbs and STUCK.

Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I had my RMR and body fat % tested and it was high. It kept going down (underwater weighing test) but the guy didnt want me to pass out (I wasnt feeling well) so he stopped the trials and told me he thinks it's around 35% even though my best test was 37.5%. I expected this anyway because I couldn't walk for 6 months between the middle and end of 2016 and didn't eat much protein for a long time so I figure I lost muscle mass. Mainly he thinks I had not let enough air out or had gas in my system because I wasn't feeling well. Anyway, so 35% body fat and only 166.4lbs. About 104lbs lean mass. I've been stuck lately. I aim for 1,300 calories on inactive days sometimes end up low if Im busy. Some days I walk 7-10 miles or I exercise on Zumba Xbox games or Wii fit. I tend to have an average of 1.5 hrs of activity per day or more...depends. My RMR was estimated at 1,748 despite my low body fat which I was told was high compared to what they see usually/expected which was more around 1550 or so, which is my estimated BMR. Soooo he was giving me this lecture about if you go long without eating enough your body will store extra fat. True? False? The most I usually eat when I workout even if it's like 3hours is about 1,800 calories. I will admit I had an ED in the past (which doesn't 100% go away) so I'm not sure what's best for me sometimes or what will make me gain vs lose etc. I am working on it. Down 70lbs and stuck for the longest. Help? And yes I weigh my food. I do think I LOOK thinner as of recently and I think my body fat was like 45% honestly after my not walking... but I can't be sure and haven't measured in a bit. I'm going to start once I get a new measuring tape but just looking for any experience based advice.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    how tall are you? how much more weight do you want to lose?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Have you taken a break from your dieting lately? 70 pounds down is so cool!
  • Verity1111
    9amwxyqmdcfu.jpg

Im not new to this. And I got to the big red circle lol
  • Verity1111

5'4" cw 160s (fluctuating randomly 163-166)

Goal not sure. 115-135 depending on body composition so at least 30lbs left to lose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »

5'4" cw 160s (fluctuating randomly 163-166)

Goal not sure. 115-135 depending on body composition so at least 30lbs left to lose.

When was the last time you had a diet break?
  • Verity1111
    annaskiski wrote: »
    If RMR, TEF and TEA cannot explain the majority of drop in daily energy expenditure, only changes in NEAT are left. And, just as it represents the larger contributor to the variance in TDEE between people, changes here turn out to explain the majority of the drop that is seen with dieting.

Lyle McDonald. The Women's Book (Kindle Locations 3168-3170). Lyle McDonald.

Larger than either of those is the fact that that NEAT levels typically go down with calorie restriction. People not only perform less of the activities which burn calories via NEAT but unconsciously perform less of higher-intensity activities. Clearly demonstrating this is a study where calorie restriction from 10-30% below maintenance resulted in daily reductions in NEAT from 100-500 calories per day (22).

Lyle McDonald. The Women's Book (Kindle Locations 3174-3177). Lyle McDonald.

I didnt understand most of that. I dont know what NEAT is. But I dont unconsciously perform less exercise. I didnt eat over 1,700-1,800 calories on active days and I was walking 10,000-20,000 steps each day on top of exercising (Zumba, Wii Fit) at home. On days when I dont exercise I eat 1,300 or less.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2018

Yes I have on and off actually! Midterms I gained back a bit and relost it. And now it's finals and I'm stuck :( I am going to wait to truly worry until the 11th (10th is my last final) but I am still eating low and stressing a bit in the back of my head. Today I am around 1,200 because it will be studying until the 10th with little activity. I mean I guess it's not a "break" It's a break from exercising for the next few days though. Since midterms till now pretty much back and forth in the low to mid 160s. One day Im 163 then Im 166 then 164 normal type fluctuations. Going to try low carb even though Ive always thought it is bs lol and eating 1200 calories.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    If RMR, TEF and TEA cannot explain the majority of drop in daily energy expenditure, only changes in NEAT are left. And, just as it represents the larger contributor to the variance in TDEE between people, changes here turn out to explain the majority of the drop that is seen with dieting.

Larger than either of those is the fact that that NEAT levels typically go down with calorie restriction. People not only perform less of the activities which burn calories via NEAT but unconsciously perform less of higher-intensity activities. Clearly demonstrating this is a study where calorie restriction from 10-30% below maintenance resulted in daily reductions in NEAT from 100-500 calories per day (22).

I didnt understand most of that. I dont know what NEAT is. But I dont unconsciously perform less exercise. I didnt eat over 1,700-1,800 calories on active days and I was walking 10,000-20,000 steps each day on top of exercising (Zumba, Wii Fit) at home. On days when I dont exercise I eat 1,300 or less.

"If RMR (resting metabolic rate, TEF (thermic effect of food or the calories used to burn the food you digest), and TEA (exercise calories) cannot explain the drop in daily energy expenditure, only changes in NEAT (non-activity thermogenesis - the calories you use in daily activity that's not exercise) are left. And just as it represents the larger contributor to variance in TDEE between people (NEAT accounts for a big chunk of the difference between TDEE for two different people given the same general stats), changes here turn out to explain the majority of the drop that is seen with dieting."

So now that you know what NEAT is, basically, you've gone very long eating at deficit, your daily movement has become lethargic, and you are burning less calories.

A diet break, as was pointed out above, is a period of eating at maintenance.

Read the first few posts in this thread for more information on diet breaks and why they help people in your situation and why situations like yours happen in the first place.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited May 2018
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be cryptic. As @GottaBurnEmAll notes above, NEAT is the energy you burn when you are NOT consciously exercising. ie. the bounce in your step as you walk, the fidgeting you do, etc.
    This actually accounts for a large part of your calorie burn during the day. (L.D. says this can vary by about 500 calories between two people of similar build and body fat. Think of that friend who seems to eat whatever they want, and never gain weight).

I'm reading Lyle's book, so posting good tidbits on the site here. Essentially he says that after about six months of dieting, a woman's hormones will try and equalize her energy balance (CICO, though he calls it EI/EO energy in/energy out, since so many people misunderstand what CICO is.) Your hormones will try and make you hungrier (ie. your portion sizes may unconsciously become larger) hence the need to tighten up your logging, and make you more sluggish (are you dragging more during the day?) This causes your CICO numbers to start to balance out, though you still think you are at a deficit.

As people above noted, take a 'diet break'. i.e. eat at your maintenance calorie level. It takes several days for your hormones to come back to normal. You will likely find that you will lose weight your first week or two of a 'break'.

Also, I realize that MFP should be adjusting this for you, but obviously you know that you need to recalculate what your TDEE is since you have lost so much weight....
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2018

"If RMR (resting metabolic rate, TEF (thermic effect of food or the calories used to burn the food you digest), and TEA (exercise calories) cannot explain the drop in daily energy expenditure, only changes in NEAT (non-activity thermogenesis - the calories you use in daily activity that's not exercise) are left. And just as it represents the larger contributor to variance in TDEE between people (NEAT accounts for a big chunk of the difference between TDEE for two different people given the same general stats), changes here turn out to explain the majority of the drop that is seen with dieting."

So now that you know what NEAT is, basically, you've gone very long eating at deficit, your daily movement has become lethargic, and you are burning less calories.

Read the first few posts in this thread for more information on diet breaks and why they help people in your situation and why situations like yours happen in the first place.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest

"your daily movement has become lethargic" No. Maybe for some people but that's NOT it. It really hasn't. I have 3 kids and 2 have disabilities and I sit down way less than before. I wear my fitbit almost all day and it's kind of evidence my movement has gone up not down. I don't fidget or move any less and in fact more if possible because my muscles keep spasming from the exercise and never stop and it drives me nuts so I cant sit still.
  • Verity1111
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be cryptic. As @GottaBurnEmAll notes above, NEAT is the energy you burn when you are NOT consciously exercising. ie. the bounce in your step as you walk, the fidgeting you do, etc.
    This actually accounts for a large part of your calorie burn during the day. (L.D. says this can vary by about 500 calories between two people of similar build and body fat. Think of that friend who seems to eat whatever they want, and never gain weight).

I'm reading Lyle's book, so posting good tidbits on the site here. Essentially he says that after about six months of dieting, a woman's hormones will try and equalize her energy balance (CICO, though he calls it EI/EO energy in/energy out, since so many people misunderstand what CICO is.) Your hormones will try and make you hungrier (ie. your portion sizes may unconsciously become larger) hence the need to tighten up your logging, and make you more sluggish (are you dragging more during the day?) This causes your CICO numbers to start to balance out, though you still think you are at a deficit.

As people above noted, take a 'diet break'. i.e. eat at your maintenance calorie level. It takes several days for your hormones to come back to normal. You will likely find that you will lose weight your first week or two of a 'break'.

Also, I realize that MFP should be adjusting this for you, but obviously you know that you need to recalculate what your TDEE is since you have lost so much weight....

I took an RMR test and it was 1748. Meaning when I lay still and do nothing. I am not eating over 1800 calories even when I exercise. How does my NEAT going down even seem like a possibility? I am looking for a solution but that's definitely not it. No matter what my neat is my RMR is the same and I am exercising on top of it... and anyway I am fidgeting as much as usual I have an anxiety disorder and fidget nonstop.
  • Verity1111

Yes I have on and off actually! Midterms I gained back a bit and relost it. And now it's finals and I'm stuck :( I am going to wait to truly worry until the 11th (10th is my last final) but I am still eating low and stressing a bit in the back of my head. Today I am around 1,200 because it will be studying until the 10th with little activity. I mean I guess it's not a "break" It's a break from exercising for the next few days though. Since midterms till now pretty much back and forth in the low to mid 160s. One day Im 163 then Im 166 then 164 normal type fluctuations. Going to try low carb even though Ive always thought it is bs lol and eating 1200 calories.

A diet break is eating at maintenance

Then not often no. Should I do that now and then? I do but really only around this time (midterms or finals) usually or if it's a holiday. I don't have a maintanance every couple weeks or every week.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member

I took an RMR test and it was 1748. Meaning when I lay still and do nothing. I am not eating over 1800 calories even when I exercise. How does my NEAT going down even seem like a possibility? I am looking for a solution but that's definitely not it. No matter what my neat is my RMR is the same and I am exercising on top of it... and anyway I am fidgeting as much as usual I have an anxiety disorder and fidget nonstop.

Your RMR is highly unlikely to ever change.

Your NEAT however, does and will.

Just take a diet break.
  • deonbfit
    deonbfit Posts: 75 Member
    I recommend upping your calories and incorporating strength training. Good luck!
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2018
    deonbfit wrote: »
    I recommend upping your calories and incorporating strength training. Good luck!

That's a possibility. Thank you. I am going to try low carb/moderate carb which I always considered bs lol but who knows. and adding more strength training. Going to start this weekend (after my last Final exam passes so I can breathe).