Gym reviews that focus on cleanliness. WTH?

13»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have OCD.

i care.

a LOT.

not to mention, if they are not bothering to sweep, mop and... clean.... what make you think they are bothering to maintain and repair their machines?

exactly
  • MissDetermined335
    MissDetermined335 Posts: 22 Member
    Cleanliness is THE most important thing at a gym in my opinion. I go to the gym average 4 times a week and frankly whilst good equipment is ofcourse important, I couldn’t care less if a gym was equipped with 1000 super duper all-singing machines if they were covered in other people’s stale sweat and germs.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Most reviews I read for gyms focus on cleanliness, staff, crowds, and often access. You have to figure that the vast majority of people going to the gym aren't really "gym rats." They're going in to get a little exercise and feel good about themselves for doing something for their own betterment. I think these are the things that are probably the most important for the vast majority of people.

It's likely that many people who actually write gym reviews are actually fairly new to the whole thing and wouldn't really be able to comment much on equipment because they don't really know what the heck it is in the first place. I'd wager that for most people, the fact that the gym has equipment and it's in good working order is enough. The only time I've ever really seen reviews about equipment was when it was run down and dysfunctional or conversely things like, "there are plenty of machines."

@cwolfman13 , you've always shown a lot of wisdom in your postings. This is no exception. I think your remarks are spot-on.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited May 2018
    My gym reviews always are mostly based around what types of plates they use and if the barbells have good knurling. LOL.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    A lot of people join a gym, not many people continue to work out there. I think a lot of people consider having an clean facility to be the top priority because they don't know any other priority for them.

When I first joined the gym I had no clue if the machinery variety was good, if maintenance was up to scratch, if the personal trainers were good, etc. However, I could immediately tell if the place was clean. If I was to review the gym in the first 1-2 months after joining, my review would only really be able to be about the cleanliness.

However, now that I have gotten into strength training and know my way around the different machines, I can now comment on variety, maintenance, PTs etc.

That being said, cleanliness is still probably top priority for me.

I belong to a gym chain where the one membership lets you into any of their different gyms and the biggest difference between them has been cleanliness. The variety of machinery isn't always comparable, but I can work around it. I had to switch my 'regular' gym due to changes at work and the biggest disappointment was how much dirtier the bathrooms are. They are still cleaned every morning, but my workout usually ends up with me showering just before the cleaner arrives. I've gone to use a bathroom (they are individual unisex combined shower/toilet/changeroom) and found that someone has left a spray of liquid *kitten* in the toilet bowl.

So my review would still probably be about cleanliness, as it its harder to work around a dirty bathroom then it is because they don't have x machine.
  • spartan_d
    My gym reviews always are mostly based around what types of plates they use and if the barbells have good knurling. LOL.
    I like you. :)

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I think something that the OP is also missing is that not everyone goes to a gym for the weight room. More broadly - not everyone uses the gym the same way the OP does and that isn't something to be dismayed about. We all have different wants, needs, limitations, and habits.

At this point I use the gym I go to for their pool and then I use a whole three of their weight machines. Cleanliness matters a lot to me for a whole host of reasons. On the other hand, I don't actually care about the vast majority of the things that are in the weight room. I don't use them and frankly I can't use a lot of things because of my knees as well my somewhat recent shoulder injury.

So spartan_d - while you might think a whole load of people here just don't get it, appears that you don't seem to get that people have different needs and priorities. Those different priorities aren't somehow inferior or superior, they are just different.

Yes!! I like my gym. I do weights and cardio. Those areas, and the bathrooms, are always clean so I have no complaints there. I have a friend who refuses to go to my gym because she primarily swims and says that the pool area is not maintained well at all. Something I would not know because I don't swim there. So while I think my gym is clean, she definitely does not!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Life is too short to spend hours a week in a dirty dive gym.

Also, a clean gym is generally an overall well-managed gym, because it takes conscientiousness and effort. Managers of gyms who ignore details like cleanliness are more than likely also half-assing other details like equipment safety, financials, human resources, building codes, etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I keep coming across gym reviews online that start out with "It's so clean!" or somesuch rot. Very often, that's the primary focus of these reviews, with little commentary on the equipment or the environment.

Now, I'm not suggesting that cleanliness is unimportant. You certainly wouldn't want to work out somewhere that's a health hazard. Maybe it's just me though, but I find it odd that cleanliness is the main focus of so many of these reviews.

Frankly, I can deal with a gym that's less than pristine clean, as long as it has the right kind of equipment and allows me to perform effective exercises. Heck, if you're working hard outdoors, you're likely to get a bit dirty, so dealing with a little bit of dust inside a gym isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

May be too much paranoria/attention to what one has a 0.0000001% chance of catching as opposed to actually working out.
  • spartan_d
    I think something that the OP is also missing is that not everyone goes to a gym for the weight room.

So spartan_d - while you might think a whole load of people here just don't get it, appears that you don't seem to get that people have different needs and priorities.

It's not a question of using the weight room vs. cardio. Cleanliness matters just as much (or conversely, as little) in either environment.

And once again, you folks keep bringing up cases where a gym (or pool, or whatever) is horribly filthy. As I said earlier, we can all agree that an utterly filthy gym is undesirable. My point in the OP wasn't about that. It was about gym reviews that start off immediately by raving about how immaculately clean the place is.

Do we all have different goals? In a sense, but if you're serious, then presumably the primary goal is to get an effective workout. The difference between basically clean and pristine, sparkling clean isn't going to matter much in practical terms.

I think that some of the previous posters have it right. A lot of people comment immediately on the cleanliness because that's all they can see. Your typical Joe or Jane won't know what kind of equipment is most effective, what constitutes knowledgeable training, or even what kinds of gym rules make sense or not. I never thought about that before, but I think their comments are spot on.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Hmm. I actually read the thread last night, and in the morning I realized what might be the ”problem” here. Any kind of service usually asks for a review immediately after your first visit or use of that service, whether it’s a phone app, a gym or even a book you bought from Amazon. When you write feedback after your first visit, cleanliness might be the easiest thing to actually say anything about. After your first time there, you probably didn’t try all the machines yet, can’t really say whether it’s always going to be crowded etc.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    Hmm. I actually read the thread last night, and in the morning I realized what might be the ”problem” here. Any kind of service usually asks for a review immediately after your first visit or use of that service, whether it’s a phone app, a gym or even a book you bought from Amazon. When you write feedback after your first visit, cleanliness might be the easiest thing to actually say anything about. After your first time there, you probably didn’t try all the machines yet, can’t really say whether it’s always going to be crowded etc.

This is so true for me! And quite often I will visit a business once or twice and think it's amazing. Only after several visits do I realize that it's not up to par for whatever reason. Cleanliness being one of those things. We visit (or used to) a local ice cream shop. People are nice, service is good, I run in and out lugging the kids so I am not paying much attention to the details of the place. I recently went in alone, had to wait around a bit while the employee was fixing some thing and got to looking around. It was dirty and dingy, a few bugs here and there. Nothing obviously out in the open but if you glance around it's there. My review definitely changed!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    It’s the first thing I noticed in my gym. Cleanliness, size, equipment quantity, friendliness, equipment and staff quality, class quality. In that order. So that would be the order I addressed the points in a review.
  • spartan_d
    hipari wrote: »

That's actually a pretty good insight. Not all gyms will ask for an immediate review, but some of them certainly would, yes.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I think something that the OP is also missing is that not everyone goes to a gym for the weight room.

So spartan_d - while you might think a whole load of people here just don't get it, appears that you don't seem to get that people have different needs and priorities.

It's not a question of using the weight room vs. cardio. Cleanliness matters just as much (or conversely, as little) in either environment.

And once again, you folks keep bringing up cases where a gym (or pool, or whatever) is horribly filthy. As I said earlier, we can all agree that an utterly filthy gym is undesirable. My point in the OP wasn't about that. It was about gym reviews that start off immediately by raving about how immaculately clean the place is.
    I brought up a gym that was horribly filthy? I don't think I did actually. What I did say is that we all have different priorities which is what, until this post, you seem to seriously be missing. A less than clean pool will likely mean a whole lot more to someone than a less than clean weight room for what I would think would be pretty obvious reasons. If I find random bits of detritus in a pool on a frequent basis then I'm going to worry about how the gym is maintaining their pool. Various bits isn't "filthy" but it isn't a good sign for an indoor pool.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited May 2018
    Sometimes when I'm asked to review a place, it's via a link sent by email and you're asked a number of questions. Levels of cleanliness are generally somewhere near the top. I've never reviewed a gym but maybe that accounts for the apparent significance people attach to it? And, as has been said, if there's a pool and that's the main reason a person is going, then cleanliness is pretty important
  • spartan_d
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, I'll concede that distinction with regard to pools. That's a valid point.

I don't ever recall seeing a review that started out by raving about the clean swimming pools, though. These were invariably comments about the rooms or equipment themselves, and I don't think that most of these places had pools. I remember seeing numerous Planet Fitness reviews on Yelp that started out by raving about their pristine cleanliness though, and PFs typically don't have swimming pools.