Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

Last stages of cutting after a bulk

So I spent the winter bulking and for the most part was a clean bulk but I over estimated on the calories because I gained too much. I am 5’7 and was up to 203. I have been cutting slowly since the beginning of February and and now trying to get from 13% BF down to 10%. I am still training hard as I can with limited carbs and I am having trouble losing the last 6-7 lbs of BF. Doing about 20 min of cardio daily and the workouts are designed for fat loss. Please let me know what’s working for you. I havent really used a fat loss supplement but really want to get rid of these last few lbs. Current weight is 177 and BF of 13.3%. Getting tired of this cut and can’t wait to get back to maintenance. Thanks all.

Replies

  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 621 Member
    13%? You should look pretty good at that bf. 10% is a struggle. I've found taking a break from cutting diet then restarting can help lose those last few pounds. Also reset your workout routine. Your body will always adapt so the longer you cut the more accustomed your body will get to the routine. Good luck!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,255 Member
    Your “clean bulk” isn’t “clean” if you gained too much. Identifying foods as clean or dirty is a myth. Your clean/ lean and/ or dirty bulk is identified as the size of your caloric surplus. Not saying this to be an a hole, but to deter your views towards food as unhealthy or healthy
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 152 Member
    Just gotta tighten up the logging, drop your calories or increase cardio/NEAT. Or a combo. What else? Magic?

    Are you staying in your deficit or falling out of it? Sometimes dropping your training volume a bit but keeping up the intensity can help if you've been too hungry to stay in a deficit.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,679 Member
    Kcal cycling (big deficit day, maintenance day, moderate deficit day, etc.) & supersetting weight training are strategies to consider if not doing so already. A maintenance day every so often can help you to keep going mentally. Moving to full body training and multi joint movements will also burn more kcals (not as much as cardio, but you can only tolerate so much cardio to a point where you are just spinning your wheels inducing your appetite even more in a counterproductive way)

    What's working for me may not work for you however and ultimately, you might be better off just hanging out at maintenance or a slight surplus for 1-2 months, then go back at the fatloss goal. Make records or at least keep mental notes
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    If you haven’t adjusted your calories since setting them at 203 pounds, start there. Otherwise you are pretty close to maintenance right now.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    Maybe think about taking a 2 week diet break. I know it's tempting to just keep cutting and get it over with they can help you recharge. I didn't take one last time and it was horrible by the end.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    Also why limited carbs? Either think about incorporating high carb days (refeeds) or add some in around your workouts .. that can help too.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 695 Member
    another vote for proper refeeds. if your right on your BF% you could have one every 7-10 days.

    also not sure what workouts could be designed for fat loss? over a 24 hour period HIIT vs LISS has shown the same fat calories burned, all things being fairly equal.

    when was the last time you reduced cals?
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Kcal cycling (big deficit day, maintenance day, moderate deficit day, etc.) & supersetting weight training are strategies to consider if not doing so already. A maintenance day every so often can help you to keep going mentally. Moving to full body training and multi joint movements will also burn more kcals (not as much as cardio, but you can only tolerate so much cardio to a point where you are just spinning your wheels inducing your appetite even more in a counterproductive way)

    What's working for me may not work for you however and ultimately, you might be better off just hanging out at maintenance or a slight surplus for 1-2 months, then go back at the fatloss goal. Make records or at least keep mental notes

    I have considered full body training. It’s actually something I’ve never tried before. I do track everything including every meal, snack, set, rep and weight. I can tell I’ve lost a bit of strength on my big lifts. Deadlifts are down from 500 to 455. Bench is down a little but I’ve lost the most on my squat.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    edickson76 wrote: »
    If you haven’t adjusted your calories since setting them at 203 pounds, start there. Otherwise you are pretty close to maintenance right now.

    I wish I was close to maintenance but I have been resetting macros every week based on lean body mass. Not sure if you this is the best option or if I should set based on total body weight.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Also why limited carbs? Either think about incorporating high carb days (refeeds) or add some in around your workouts .. that can help too.

    I was hoping I could get to 10% in the next 4 weeks and then take a break. I don’t want to get burned out. I think I may try refeeds in and around my workouts as you suggested. I’ve heard that incorporating high/low carb days can be effective although I have never tried it before. As far as the low carb thing it’s what worked best for me before on the last three cuts however I was only able to get down to 12.5%bf in the past.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    another vote for proper refeeds. if your right on your BF% you could have one every 7-10 days.

    also not sure what workouts could be designed for fat loss? over a 24 hour period HIIT vs LISS has shown the same fat calories burned, all things being fairly equal.

    when was the last time you reduced cals?

    I adjust calories every week based on lean body mass. Over the last 6-7 weeks there was only 1 week in which I didn’t lose anything, otherwise every other week I made adjustments. As far as the workouts go I have done any HIIT cardio just steady state at about 75% intensity. The weight training is gear toward volume and includes drop sets, supersets and often giant sets and sometimes with very little rest periods. Of course the amount of weight I can lift has gone down which could be a result of the calorie deficit or the type of training or both. If you have any recommendations for full body training programs that would be greatly appreciated
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited May 2018
    Your “clean bulk” isn’t “clean” if you gained too much. Identifying foods as clean or dirty is a myth. Your clean/ lean and/ or dirty bulk is identified as the size of your caloric surplus. Not saying this to be an a hole, but to deter your views towards food as unhealthy or healthy

    This really doesn’t have anything to do with what I was asking.

    No but it does show your lack of understanding in how the whole nutrition and fitness thing works. A lot of what you say is stuff people do or say after hearing these "bro" information. Don't take it as an insult, I am just saying your original post comes off that way.

    Also, no need for fat loss supplements, waste of money. I did many bulk and cutting cycles without even doing any cardio. It's all about being in a caloric deficit. One thing I do question is how do you come up with the fact that you're 13,3% bf?? unless you did a Dexa Scan, I don't see how you would know accurately your bf.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    Your “clean bulk” isn’t “clean” if you gained too much. Identifying foods as clean or dirty is a myth. Your clean/ lean and/ or dirty bulk is identified as the size of your caloric surplus. Not saying this to be an a hole, but to deter your views towards food as unhealthy or healthy

    This really doesn’t have anything to do with what I was asking.

    No but it does show your lack of understanding in how the whole nutrition and fitness thing works. A lot of what you say is stuff people do or say after hearing these "bro" information. Don't take it as an insult, I am just saying your original post comes off that way.

    Also, no need for fat loss supplements, waste of money. I did many bulk and cutting cycles without even doing any cardio. It's all about being in a caloric deficit. One thing I do question is how do you come up with the fact that you're 13,3% bf?? unless you did a Dexa Scan, I don't see how you would know accurately your bf.

    Thanks for the info on the supplements. I think I will save my money. As far as the BF% it’s been measured by calipers several times and compared to my handheld scanner. I realize these aren’t the most accurate but helps me with a trend. I could be as much as 3-4% off however even been off 3-4% doesn’t change my macros enough to make a difference. I do have a pretty good understanding of fitness and nutrition and being new to posting here i don’t know how technical I should be. Or if anyone really cares. Next time I will be more specific so it doesn’t come off poorly. In fact I didn’t need to include that information anyway
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    Your “clean bulk” isn’t “clean” if you gained too much. Identifying foods as clean or dirty is a myth. Your clean/ lean and/ or dirty bulk is identified as the size of your caloric surplus. Not saying this to be an a hole, but to deter your views towards food as unhealthy or healthy

    This really doesn’t have anything to do with what I was asking.

    No but it does show your lack of understanding in how the whole nutrition and fitness thing works. A lot of what you say is stuff people do or say after hearing these "bro" information. Don't take it as an insult, I am just saying your original post comes off that way.

    Also, no need for fat loss supplements, waste of money. I did many bulk and cutting cycles without even doing any cardio. It's all about being in a caloric deficit. One thing I do question is how do you come up with the fact that you're 13,3% bf?? unless you did a Dexa Scan, I don't see how you would know accurately your bf.

    Thanks for the info on the supplements. I think I will save my money. As far as the BF% it’s been measured by calipers several times and compared to my handheld scanner. I realize these aren’t the most accurate but helps me with a trend. I could be as much as 3-4% off however even been off 3-4% doesn’t change my macros enough to make a difference. I do have a pretty good understanding of fitness and nutrition and being new to posting here i don’t know how technical I should be. Or if anyone really cares. Next time I will be more specific so it doesn’t come off poorly. In fact I didn’t need to include that information anyway
    I also wanted to added, if you're tired of cutting, you can always stay at maintenance for 2 weeks or do a reverse diet to maintenance, then get back to cutting. It may be even beneficial. I remember on my last cut, I had the hardest time to lose my last 5 lbs, it wasn't until I did a reverse diet (not a diet break, but I increased my calories gradually until I was back at maintenance) and that's when I started losing weight again...most probably my body flushed the water I was retaining.