C25K week 5 - what was your experience?

I'm on week 5...and did day 1 today. Aside from my knees being slightly more crabby afterwards, I was able to do it (my knees don't like running downhill and today's timing had me finishing with that). Looking ahead, I see wk 5 day 3 is a huge jump - running for 20 mins straight. For those who were starting to run for the very first time, were you able to do it?? I have not run before this and just the idea of running for 5 mins straight (week 4) nearly did me in!!

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I had to repeat day 3 several times until I got the knack of running slow enough so my lungs could keep up. Are you running to music? I found 20 minutes worth of songs that had a beat per minute that matched my strides and just sort of focused on the beat taking very small steps. Good luck, you can do it!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2018
    Day 3 was exhilirating, and since I'm a slow runner, I had no problems with it.

I had prepped really well before doing C25K, though. I had worked up to walking 5 miles at a stretch and being able to aqua jog for an hour before I even started it.

Always remember that running is a gait, not a speed. If you're having trouble, go slower. It's okay for people walking to pass you!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Go slow. Don’t push. You’ll make it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I was able to do it, but it's ok if you don't. Honestly I was bracing myself for the hit to my ego, and was really surprised that I actually managed to finish. Just take it easy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Everyone is shocked by it and many, including me, found it much easier than expected.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I was scared about it but low and behold I did it. The program is put together so well that your body is ready for it at that point. Stay out of your own head! You can do it. And let me tell you it feels great when you do. Best of luck.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    It's wildly terrifying, especially because you've spent the previous 4 weeks jogging along thinking "I get to walk soon! I get to walk soon!!" so the idea of not being *able* to stop is horrific.

But it's usually okay, if unnerving.

I need to start C25K again soon.
  • belindagreenberg
    belindagreenberg Posts: 8 Member
    I did it last week wasn’t expecting it and thought I’d try my best - was so shocked myself to complete xx
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I knew it was a trusted, tried and true program, and I'd been able to do all of it without issues, and they wouldn't tell us to do something ridiculous, so I gave it my best shot and I did it.

I felt so amazing when I was done!!
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    I know that feeling! Trust the programme. You've done the prep, so you can do it. The 20 minutes is a mental run, more than a physical one. You'll have that voice in the back of your head saying 'I don't know if I can do this' but if you've done weeks 1-4 then you can do this.

Good luck!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Like everyone else says, trust the program, and just make sure that you run slowly enough that you can talk in complete sentences.
  • missymiss1919
    missymiss1919 Posts: 2 Member
    Wow! So inspiring to hear so many felt a similar shock but were able to run wk 5 day 3! Thanks for sharing your stories and tips. I'm supposed to do it on Thurs so I'll report back after.
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    How did it go? I just started week 5, due to do day 2 tomorrow (thu) and then day 3 on the weekend.
    Reading this thread makes me excited about it already.