Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Currently cutting from a bulk because of work (would have kept the bulk going :'( ) here’s my progress thus far from bulk to cut.

Do you tend to drop weight from your stomach quickly? Digging the abs!

@sardelsa & @Davidsdottir I am sure that you are being overly critical of your bodies! I don't remember seeing pictures of you Davidsdottir but from your tiny little profile pictures it looks like you have nice shoulders! I have seen your progress pics Sardelsa and you look amazing!

I have 2 more pounds to go before I want to start reverse dieting! Funny is I was at this point early March and then went on vacation for 10 days. I ate so much and had to pretty much start over. :blush: No regrets! I have another vacation coming up in June. It is only 4 days this time - hopefully not enough time to undo most of my progress.

Thank you, it's true... I'm overly critical of myself for sure. My quads have grown about 2" during this bulk. All of my measurements are up, except for my waist and chest LOL

I actually hit goal today...140 lbs. I am officially lowering cals today by 100, reducing weekly until I hit maintenance. I'm also excited to switch up my workouts... getting a little tired of my programming.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Currently cutting from a bulk because of work (would have kept the bulk going :'( ) here’s my progress thus far from bulk to cut.

Do you tend to drop weight from your stomach quickly? Digging the abs!

@sardelsa & @Davidsdottir I am sure that you are being overly critical of your bodies! I don't remember seeing pictures of you Davidsdottir but from your tiny little profile pictures it looks like you have nice shoulders! I have seen your progress pics Sardelsa and you look amazing!

I have 2 more pounds to go before I want to start reverse dieting! Funny is I was at this point early March and then went on vacation for 10 days. I ate so much and had to pretty much start over. :blush: No regrets! I have another vacation coming up in June. It is only 4 days this time - hopefully not enough time to undo most of my progress.

No, my abs actually take the longest. I easily need another 2-3lbs off until I start seeing the ab veins lol
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    ending my cut in 7 days. :dizzy:

Gonna have the biggest damned bowl of spaghetti you ever did see. Decided to end it around 13% ... because it's been 4 and a half months on this cut and I'm sick and tired of it. I tossed around the idea of trying for 10% and super ripped - but nah, don't wanna. Ended up at 192# but will probably blow up to close to 200 once I start eating a normal amount of carbs. Start weight in December was 238. I don't think I lost too much muscle, but the only real metric I have is that my lifts didn't suffer. I did cut back volume - mostly just cut 1 set out of my routine for each compound lift and instead of 1 strength and two hypertrophy days per week I did 3 strength days until the last two weeks where I cut a complete day out of my routine. Joints are screaming and I hope getting back into a surplus helps.
  • Davidsdottir
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Gonna have the biggest damned bowl of spaghetti you ever did see. Decided to end it around 13% ... because it's been 4 and a half months on this cut and I'm sick and tired of it. I tossed around the idea of trying for 10% and super ripped - but nah, don't wanna. Ended up at 192# but will probably blow up to close to 200 once I start eating a normal amount of carbs. Start weight in December was 238. I don't think I lost too much muscle, but the only real metric I have is that my lifts didn't suffer. I did cut back volume - mostly just cut 1 set out of my routine for each compound lift and instead of 1 strength and two hypertrophy days per week I did 3 strength days until the last two weeks where I cut a complete day out of my routine. Joints are screaming and I hope getting back into a surplus helps.

If your profile pic is current, then I'm sending heart eye emojis to you in my mind. No need to cut further.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Yea the feeling when the cals increase is fantastic.. you look pumped and the lifts feel so good.

Did you do any refeeds or diet breaks? I do a pasta refeed on the weekend, basically I have three bowls of pasta or so (which I work into my deficit) on one of my high cal days. It worked so well for me last cut, so hopefully this time it's the same

Good luck with the last days of your cut :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Wow @jseams1234 that is an amazing transformation! Well done :)
  • Davidsdottir
    @jseams1234 holy *kitten*!
  • BrianJohnson2015
    BrianJohnson2015 Posts: 68 Member
    I cut 7 lbs of 22 gained in 3.5 weeks. Decided I better start gaining again didn’t like the less full look. However glad I cut some of the bad fat on my sides before moving on with more weight gain. Cutting was super easy for me since I feel like I really have to over eat to gain even small amounts
  • saulopaulo
    saulopaulo Posts: 2 Member
    Doing a 6-week mini-cut @ 1000 kcal deficit (sometimes less, sometimes more). Currently two weeks in. Already went down two percentage points in body fat and this was in one week (the second week, because that's when I started using the bf meter at the gym), while at the same time gaining in lean body mass!

By the end, I hope to level around 15% bf so I can finally start seeing more of the gains I've been making at the gym. :)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

If your profile pic is current, then I'm sending heart eye emojis to you in my mind. No need to cut further.

Thanks! It's a few weeks old. I've dropped another 7 or 8 pounds since then and only look a tiny bit leaner but feel exponentially more grouchy. ;)
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yea the feeling when the cals increase is fantastic.. you look pumped and the lifts feel so good.

Did you do any refeeds or diet breaks? I do a pasta refeed on the weekend, basically I have three bowls of pasta or so (which I work into my deficit) on one of my high cal days. It worked so well for me last cut, so hopefully this time it's the same

Good luck with the last days of your cut :)

No real diet breaks or traditional refeeds. I did eat a ton during Chinese New Year (wife is Chinese and I'd of taken a lot of heat from her family if I hadn't stuffed my face). What I was doing was having a very high fat day on Saturdays. I have this thing for spicy Korean fried chicken and we'd go out and I'd blow half my days calorie allowance on wings, rice and octopus balls. I did move from very low carb at first and moderate fat to low fat and higher carbs. The super low carb thing was a no-go in the gym. I kept my calorie goal about 2200-2400 during the entire cut, very high protein.

I had a LOT of flubber to lose and could afford a very aggressive cut at first.... I'm not kidding. Let me introduce you to King Panda... This was mid December at 238#

ssamvbg618fo.jpg

This was about 200# a few weeks ago.

g5d1fg35vfx3.jpg

Oh! Nice shoulder and bicep development :)
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    You're the man Jseams. Thanks for sharing. I'm reducing my calories more and got some renewed commitment to my cut as a result of your posts. It looks like you retained all your muscle..maybe even gained some. Thanks for showing what's possible.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited May 2018
    billkansas wrote: »
    You're the man Jseams. Thanks for sharing. I'm reducing my calories more and got some renewed commitment to my cut as a result of your posts. It looks like you retained all your muscle..maybe even gained some. Thanks for showing what's possible.

Thanks!

Ending my cut today. I was going to wait until Monday but my body is done. Elbows constantly ache and clothes don't fit. I had a researcher I was working with tell me I was too skinny to be on a "diet" after she saw me headed to the break room with a can of tuna and found out it was my lunch. I think that may be the universal "You are done" sign, like one of those pop up turkey timers you find in a Butterball. Going to start to slowly up calories a little bit each day up to about 3K. Well, *after* I have my blowout this weekend and drag my wife to every restaurant on this list I've been compiling for the last few months. lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Wow someone took the time to woo every single one of my posts in this thread.. now that is dedication :D I guess I have a fan :p

Having a stalker or two adds to your cred. :D

Haha I see you have a fan club too. Awesome ;)

Hilarious. :bigsmile:
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    I've decided to end my bulk and do what I hope will be a mini cut.

Over the last 16 months I've gained 18lbs (from 124lb to 142lb) on a lean bulk. I've cut my calories drastically from 2600 to 1600, which will get my cut off to a flying start.

After a couple of weeks, I will slowly reverse diet out. Slowly adding calories back (while still being in a deficit).