Most calories burned in 24 hours?

Replies

• Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    awriwenpesge.png

That was last Friday. I do tend to have days like that during Mountain biking or snowboarding.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    jlklem wrote: »
    Wow I rarely fuel unless I am burning over 1500 calories non stop. On my Saturday ride I took in 940 calories and burned 4000. I was fading at the end but power did not drop meaning I still had glycogen in my blood stream. A 10k would never need fueling unless you start very depleted. Same for a half marathon. I suppose a half might require a gel...but most trained people store 1200 calories of glycogen.

But hey, you go ahead and judge my fueling practices.

I didn't read that as judgey, just surprised.

When I first started running I took water on every run, after a while I stopped and now only take it on very hot days or if I'm running over 90 minutes. We all do things differently and quite often change what we do all the time.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    2989 is my highest tdee in a day, that was running a hilly half marathon plus walking around.

Joys of being small.

I just had to look that up and I'm now going to challenge myself to beat it :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I think it is a great way for people to share what we are capable of as humans. It’s amazing what we can do.

Furthermore. Most things we do in life are irrelevant to most people, but there is beauty to be able to connect and share them. That is why there is a forum in MFD.

But as an competitive athlete it is total relevant....every freaking calorie.

John

True. And related to the relevance of calorie burns: I try to consume back roughly 1/2 of the calories, electrolytes, etc that I"m burning each hour that I"m on the bike, so it would be typical for me to consume roughly 250-300 cal/hr. Most, but not all of it, is in liquid form.

Curious if others here follow a specific fueling formula during cycling, running or similar events.

Before a marathon or ultra I'll generally eat a little above maintenance for a week. I'll avoid anything too have the night before and for breakfast have about 500 calories; porridge, apple, banana, coffee.

On the move I'll consume about 150 cals per hour, largely tailwind but also honey stinger gels or chews. I'll generally available myself of the aid station; flapjack, jelly beans, Jaffa cakes, melon, beer.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I think it is a great way for people to share what we are capable of as humans. It’s amazing what we can do.

Furthermore. Most things we do in life are irrelevant to most people, but there is beauty to be able to connect and share them. That is why there is a forum in MFD.

John

True. And related to the relevance of calorie burns: I try to consume back roughly 1/2 of the calories, electrolytes, etc that I"m burning each hour that I"m on the bike, so it would be typical for me to consume roughly 250-300 cal/hr. Most, but not all of it, is in liquid form.

Curious if others here follow a specific fueling formula during cycling, running or similar events.
    @Djproulx
    Rides up to 2hrs - just water.
    2 - 4hrs - sports drink, carby snacks but fairly casual.

I only fuel in a structured way for rides of over 70/80 miles (intensity is a factor as well as distance).

For big events such as Centuries where I'm trying for a good time I try to fuel maximally but you can't digest as much as you burn anyway when you are exercising hard so that maximum is what you can digest.
    60g of glucose an hour (240cals) is sometimes given as the maximum but if you add fructose you can hit 90g an hour total (different receptors / digestive pathways) so you can in theory hit 360cals/hour.

Event routine would be making sure I've eaten plenty of carbs in the few days before, on the day a big bowl of cereal with a scoop of protein powder for breakfast.
    Once I'm moving I get most of my fuel in my drink but also eat a snack (malt loaf or cereal bar) every hour. I get a bit nauseous if I just fuel from liquids and warm sugary drinks for hours on end are pretty revolting.

I'm riding long at the weekend and part of my preparation this week is coming off caffeine so that on the day I can use a bit of a caffeine hit for big hills or when fatigued and supplementing with beetroot juice (for the nitrates).

• jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Wow I rarely fuel unless I am burning over 1500 calories non stop. On my Saturday ride I took in 940 calories and burned 4000. I was fading at the end but power did not drop meaning I still had glycogen in my blood stream. A 10k would never need fueling unless you start very depleted. Same for a half marathon. I suppose a half might require a gel...but most trained people store 1200 calories of glycogen.

Good for you?

I'm also a type 1 diabetic who hasn't eaten at true maintenance levels of calories for any extended period (AKA, beyond a day) in at least five years. I can drop very quickly, and very unpredictably, and if I don't have the glycogen ready on board, I can't break out of a hypoglycemic cycle.

But hey, you go ahead and judge my fueling practices.

Wow, still surprised but still not judging. My training partner for two years was Type 1. He always had food and many times our rides and his survival depended on it. Context is key to everything.
  • jlklem
    sijomial wrote: »

John

@Djproulx
    Rides up to 2hrs - just water.
    2 - 4hrs - sports drink, carby snacks but fairly casual.

I only fuel in a structured way for rides of over 70/80 miles (intensity is a factor as well as distance).

For big events such as Centuries where I'm trying for a good time I try to fuel maximally but you can't digest as much as you burn anyway when you are exercising hard so that maximum is what you can digest.
    60g of glucose an hour (240cals) is sometimes given as the maximum but if you add fructose you can hit 90g an hour total (different receptors / digestive pathways) so you can in theory hit 360cals/hour.

Event routine would be making sure I've eaten plenty of carbs in the few days before, on the day a big bowl of cereal with a scoop of protein powder for breakfast.
    Once I'm moving I get most of my fuel in my drink but also eat a snack (malt loaf or cereal bar) every hour. I get a bit nauseous if I just fuel from liquids and warm sugary drinks for hours on end are pretty revolting.

I'm riding long at the weekend and part of my preparation this week is coming off caffeine so that on the day I can use a bit of a caffeine hit for big hills or when fatigued and supplementing with beetroot juice (for the nitrates).

Your knowledge is very helpful. I am a huge believer of research everything. But verify personally as what works in the research might not personal apply (individual differences).

Have you tried nutria grain bars. They are the bomb for me. I also use Infinit personalize nutrition. You can make your own formula. Very good stuff.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    @Resistive What tracker do you use that gives you that information? How accurate do you find it to be?
  • jlklem
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Most calories burned in 24 hours?" is an irrelevant number. Calorie deficit is what counts, and it should be modest yet consistent.

@pondee629

Not everyone is trying to lose weight!

When you need to fuel and recover from endurance exercise the number is very relevant.

And, then, "Most Calories Burned in 24 hours" is still an irrelevant number. It all comes down to NET burned. Are you low enough to lose weight, are you high enough to keep fueled. For a parlour game, "
    I think it is a great way for people to share what we are capable of as humans. It’s amazing what we can do." Sure. But any meaningful number, it's gotta be net calories. But, have your fun.

Thanks, exercise can be so fun. I love reading about what others have accomplished, it’s super inspiring. Calorie counting to lose weight is hard work, but finding joy and meaning in that work, which again is individual, is one of the things life is all about. Connection is the other, which is the point of this thread.

John
  • jlklem
    serindipte wrote: »
    @Resistive What tracker do you use that gives you that information? How accurate do you find it to be?

That is Garmin connect. Cool program but only as good as the device it imports from.

And 6000 is huge!
  • serindipte

That is Garmin connect. Cool program but only as good as the device it imports from.

And 6000 is huge!

Which devices seem to be most accurate?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I don't have any good numbers, but well over 3000 I'm sure for exercise cals... and I've probably broken 6000 a few times on total cals burned (TDEE).

6+ hr races, century rides, 12+hr hikes...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    "Most calories burned in 24 hours?" is an irrelevant number. Calorie deficit is what counts, and it should be modest yet consistent.

@pondee629

Not everyone is trying to lose weight!

When you need to fuel and recover from endurance exercise the number is very relevant.

And, then, "Most Calories Burned in 24 hours" is still an irrelevant number. It all comes down to NET burned. Are you low enough to lose weight, are you high enough to keep fueled. For a parlour game, "
    I think it is a great way for people to share what we are capable of as humans. It’s amazing what we can do." Sure. But any meaningful number, it's gotta be net calories. But, have your fun.

Are you having a bad day?
    My exercise is about the challenge of riding long and the enjoyment of being in beautiful countryside - even fun.
    That I might end up with a huge calorie burn (and large deficit on the big ride days) simply isn't the driver for doing what I do.

Here's the net if that makes you happy.....

kvo92r5oc0ym.png
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member

I am using the vivosmartHR and that is the Garmin Connect. I find this to be much more accurate than the Fitbits I owned in the past.
  • serindipte
    Resistive wrote: »

I am using the vivosmartHR and that is the Garmin Connect. I find this to be much more accurate than the Fitbits I owned in the past.

Thank you :) I wanted one, but there were so many options, I hadn't narrowed it down to which one, yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    My longest ride to date was a metric century...around 2,200 calories give or take (reasonable estimate from my Garmin bike computer). I typically don't do more than 1/2s and I'm having to back down from that for the time being unfortunately.