Intermittent fasting

I have been trying intermittent fasting for the past two months and so far I LOVE the results I am getting. Does anyone else do this? Initially I was doing 16:8, but recently I've switched to a 5:2- what do you currently prefer, or do you have a con side to this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I’ve done 14:10 before based on my work schedule. I couldn’t do 5:2 because 500 calories would leave me hangry.
  • Shannongr29
    Shannongr29 Posts: 1,809 Member
    What does 5:2 mean?
  • rachel_a_sanchez
    rachel_a_sanchez Posts: 3 Member
    I have been doing 16:8 for awhile now and love it. I thought about doing 5:2. My question is, the other 5 days, are you eating 16:8?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I couldn't do 5:2, cause I'd pass out working out.

I do 16:8, cause otherwise I'd eat a full day's calories before 11AM. If I wait 'til 11, then I can eat a nice big lunch and dinner with no hunger...
  • breemariee920
    breemariee920 Posts: 10 Member
    I started with 18:6. as I never really liked eating before 11 am. Currently, I am loving 20:4.
    I think I’d cave on this real fast or I would love this idea. Out of curiosity what time do you use your 4 on? Even when I’m on a fast day I struggle to not eat by noon because that is when I was previously eating between 12-8.
  • breemariee920
    breemariee920 Posts: 10 Member
    I have been doing 16:8 for awhile now and love it. I thought about doing 5:2. My question is, the other 5 days, are you eating 16:8”

I do stick to 16:8 even on the other 5 days... but only because I’m not big on morning eating. My mornings are being cranky and drinking black coffee till noon. Lol breakfast isn’t really a thing for me. And I try my best to stop eating after 8... but sometimes I do eat like something after because I am horrible about night eating.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    when I was loosing weight I was doing a mix of 18:6 and 20:4 to create a deficit .... now I am at maintenance though I have dropped it like a brick .. I found it very very good at keeping me in a deficit, but It did hamper my workouts, Trying to fit in a gym session followed by a cardio session commute to work and a walk at lunch time and another cardio session going home, before eating .. my performance dropped !
  • BlondeRunner615
    BlondeRunner615 Posts: 12 Member
    I have been working out really hard for about 5 months, and I've put on weight steadily over the entire 5 months (some muscle, some fat). Today I began doing between 20:4 and 18:6 to create the deficit, but I will NOT be training during this time. My plan is to get back down to my goal weight and then re-integrate the gym and slightly more calories in a less balls-to-the-wall kinda way.

My plan is to eat all the day's calories between 7 AM and 12 or 1 PM. I'm hungriest in the morning and don't like eating at night.

I would definitely not be able to do this if I were training right now.

The hardest part is probably going to be other people.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    I have been doing IF for about 2 months now, a combination of 18/6, 20/4 and 23/1. I only had 11 pounds to lose to hit my goal and I had hit a roadblock, now I have lost 8 of those pounds and hopefully the last 3 will be soon!
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    I have been working out really hard for about 5 months, and I've put on weight steadily over the entire 5 months (some muscle, some fat). Today I began doing between 20:4 and 18:6 to create the deficit, but I will NOT be training during this time. My plan is to get back down to my goal weight and then re-integrate the gym and slightly more calories in a less balls-to-the-wall kinda way.

My plan is to eat all the day's calories between 7 AM and 12 or 1 PM. I'm hungriest in the morning and don't like eating at night.

I would definitely not be able to do this if I were training right now.

The hardest part is probably going to be other people.

Are you going to completely stop working out, or just stop trying to progress? I'd be worried about losing muscle and my hard work of 5 months going to waste if I completely gave it up, but I definitely understand not trying to increase the difficulty of your workouts while in a deficit.
  • meghanchevy28
    meghanchevy28 Posts: 32 Member
    Just started 16:8 today! hahaha we will see how this goes. Today wasn't so bad :p
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    Hi all, I have a question.so I did my first fast day yesterday. I ate under 500 cal because I was waiting for dinner and then dinner fell after the end of the fast time. So according to my tracking I ate 850 calories yesterday but within the fast time (8pm-8pm) I was under. Is that normal? Am I accidentally cheating?
  • annaskiski
    ursula130 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a question.so I did my first fast day yesterday. I ate under 500 cal because I was waiting for dinner and then dinner fell after the end of the fast time. So according to my tracking I ate 850 calories yesterday but within the fast time (8pm-8pm) I was under. Is that normal? Am I accidentally cheating?

You need to eat to your calorie goal. IF is a tool. Stop looking at it as some hard and fast rule that must be held to.
    There's no such thing as 'cheating'.

If this is a tool you want to make use of, then understand that you will have days where 'things fall apart'.
    Today is another day. Carry on....
  • annaskiski
    ursula130 wrote: »

And I hope you're not saying that you're only eating 850 calories/day every day. You are shooting yourself in the foot. The key to weight loss is increasing your NEAT. Eat to fuel your body...