So, flat Earthers...

1235»

Replies

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    The problem he is talking about solving is shielding the spacecraft systems. Electronics are very sensitive to EM radiation, we want to test them to make sure they won't malfunction before risking people. That's part of the process of man-rating the vehicle. The radiation exposure itself is roughly equivalent to a chest X-ray, not necessarily a deal-breaker.

(FWIW, I'm an aerospace engineer.)

That’s very cool, so what do you do as an aerospace engineer? I mean you specifically. What kinds of things are you working on? I’m not challenging you, I’m just interested. :smiley:

Right now I'm doing systems engineering work on pilot trainers for the Navy. Very basically, that mostly involves making sure designs proposed by contractors meet requirements and make sense from a technical standpoint, then keeping tabs on everything through to delivery, and finally testing it to confirm the requirements were met.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    CatsIvuE wrote: »
    CatsIvuE wrote: »
    I’ve always been suspect of how the US flag floated on the moon

I'm not sure what you mean by "floated" but if you mean because it stuck out, there was a metal horizontal rod across the top holding it up

Fun fact: One of the astronauts said the ground was so hard he couldn't really get the pole in securely and it likely fell over when they took off

I knew about the metal rod. I just meant the way the bottom of it floated and moved around. Seemed different to me than other objects movements.

Apple cider vinegar, of course.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    All this talk is really interesting. Due to my lifetime experience, I come at this from, “of course we went to the moon” and have a very hard time with people questioning it. Mainly, because I know thousands of people that worked on the program. Not only engineers and all the people supporting, but the Houston NASA people and all that. If anywhere along the line, it was fake, that would be very difficult for any org to pull off and for everyone to be tricked. I mean, I can’t conceive of how impossible that would be. Government orgs are not that smart to pull that off. They would have messed it up somewhere along the line.

Anyway, I don’t mind this dialogue. It’s open and sincere and I think that’s what it takes to have a good conversation about it.

Most flat earthers say stupid things like, “ how come in the pictures there are no stars?” That’s just not tolerable.

Questions about the Van Allen belt are reasonable. But, in my mind, they did land on the moon. So, they figured it out. There are likely new questions about it, that out of context sound like we never figured it out.

To answer a question: astronauts are crazy. They are test pilots gone mad. They take huge risks with their lives. In my aerospace career, I have known both astronauts and test pilots and they all have a screw loose.

Hahaha! :joy:

I appreciate this comment as a whole, the overall tone.

I wonder if people who believe it wholeheartedly have ever watched some of the videos against it. Even just out of curiosity as to why they believe what they believe. It’s compelling and it has lasted 40 years because there are so many unanswered questions. Are you curious why so many people have doubts?

Up until about a month ago I had no doubts. Then I watched some of the videos and there were too many unexplained things to shake off or explain away.

I’m particularly interested in human behavior, and good lord were they acting strange and deceptive in the initial news conference. But if they all have a screw loose.. :smirk:

Or maybe they saw aliens and they were sworn to secrecy for national security! :joy:@MeeseeksAndDestroy

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    The problem he is talking about solving is shielding the spacecraft systems. Electronics are very sensitive to EM radiation, we want to test them to make sure they won't malfunction before risking people. That's part of the process of man-rating the vehicle. The radiation exposure itself is roughly equivalent to a chest X-ray, not necessarily a deal-breaker.

(FWIW, I'm an aerospace engineer.)

That’s very cool, so what do you do as an aerospace engineer? I mean you specifically. What kinds of things are you working on? I’m not challenging you, I’m just interested. :smiley:

Right now I'm doing systems engineering work on pilot trainers for the Navy. Very basically, that mostly involves making sure designs proposed by contractors meet requirements and make sense from a technical standpoint, then keeping tabs on everything through to delivery, and finally testing it to confirm the requirements were met.

This job would give me anxiety. I applaud you.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    All this talk is really interesting. Due to my lifetime experience, I come at this from, “of course we went to the moon” and have a very hard time with people questioning it. Mainly, because I know thousands of people that worked on the program. Not only engineers and all the people supporting, but the Houston NASA people and all that. If anywhere along the line, it was fake, that would be very difficult for any org to pull off and for everyone to be tricked. I mean, I can’t conceive of how impossible that would be. Government orgs are not that smart to pull that off. They would have messed it up somewhere along the line.

Anyway, I don’t mind this dialogue. It’s open and sincere and I think that’s what it takes to have a good conversation about it.

Most flat earthers say stupid things like, “ how come in the pictures there are no stars?” That’s just not tolerable.

Questions about the Van Allen belt are reasonable. But, in my mind, they did land on the moon. So, they figured it out. There are likely new questions about it, that out of context sound like we never figured it out.

To answer a question: astronauts are crazy. They are test pilots gone mad. They take huge risks with their lives. In my aerospace career, I have known both astronauts and test pilots and they all have a screw loose.

Hahaha! :joy:

I appreciate this comment as a whole, the overall tone.

I wonder if people who believe it wholeheartedly have ever watched some of the videos against it. Even just out of curiosity as to why they believe what they believe. It’s compelling and it has lasted 40 years because there are so many unanswered questions. Are you curious why so many people have doubts?

Up until about a month ago I had no doubts. Then I watched some of the videos and there were too many unexplained things to shake off or explain away.

I’m particularly interested in human behavior, and good lord were they acting strange and deceptive in the initial news conference. But if they all have a screw loose.. :smirk:

Or maybe they saw aliens and they were sworn to secrecy for national security! :joy:@MeeseeksAndDestroy

I have looked at some of the people claiming the moon landing never happened, but the reasons that were stated didn’t hold water, from what I remember. Most of the reasons are purely a lack of understanding about a complex topic. Many people can’t even conceive of outer space. So, they use their earthly knowledge, project that forward, and draw incorrect conclusions.

I haven’t watched the YouTube videos though. I tend to shy away from conspiracy things because they can be convincing, and then you’re second guessing everything you know. I tend to stick a pin in something and move on. If there is overwhelming evidence, I’m always willing to change. But, conspiracies are always very convincing. That’s how they hold up. There are elements that can never be proven. Therefore, it’s questionable.

I saw there were some YouTube links. I’ll take a look at those.

I started this thread because I am fascinated with flat earth. It’s like watching a car chase. It’s dumb, we all know how it will end, but I can’t stop watching. There are no aspects of flat earth propoganda that can’t be explained through physics, math, and/or science. But, it’s the stuff that can’t be disproven that keeps it going. That conspiracy thing. For instance, their whole thing is, they only believe what they can observe with their eyes. Well, that’s just lame. Many things you just have to understand. You can’t make up things just because you can’t actually see other galaxies with your own eyes. If NASA is lying to us, then whatever. It really doesn’t impact my life at all. However, if they really are lying, which they aren’t, it really begs the question, why. What do they gain by keeping this giant lie from the whole world? And why NASA? And why is flat earth only a thing in the USA and small parts of Europe? Hmmmm.

Like when flat earthers calculate the temperature of the sun based on wood burning fires.

Cause wood and nuclear reactions are the same?