Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

More people need to get educated on weight loss surgery.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    lcoulter23. I wish you so much through all this. I understand something of "hormones being out of whack". Its something only those with their own experiences who can possibly have the slightest clue of all you are going through.

Most of all I hope the "we" you refer to have the most wonderful time together. Keep on taking care.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    lcoulter23. I wish you so much through all this. I understand something of "hormones being out of whack". Its something only those with their own experiences who can possibly have the slightest clue of all you are going through.

Most of all I hope the "we" you refer to have the most wonderful time together. Keep on taking care.

Thank you! My boyfriend and I have been together for 20 months and are taking our first vacation together! We're going to both Disney world and universal studios. We're planning on taking our own food and snacks with us to avoid the high priced calorie rich foods.

I'm getting both very excited but nervous about surgery. The good thing is, I have aspergers syndrome and so I am a stickler for following things to the letter when I am given instructions. I'm very detail oriented. Thus the extensive research on the surgery lol
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    lcoulter23 wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »

Thank you! My boyfriend and I have been together for 20 months and are taking our first vacation together! We're going to both Disney world and universal studios. We're planning on taking our own food and snacks with us to avoid the high priced calorie rich foods.

I'm getting both very excited but nervous about surgery. The good thing is, I have aspergers syndrome and so I am a stickler for following things to the letter when I am given instructions. I'm very detail oriented. Thus the extensive research on the surgery lol

Have a great time! One thought, having been to Disney with my family with food allergies/preferences, they do a fantastic job! Even at the quick places in the park, if you pull a team member aside and ask for a food preference they'll make it happen with a smile :smiley: Don't hesitate to ask for anything to be made special to keep yourself on track and enjoy yourself too!
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Isn't it inconsistent to say it's EXACTLY the same and that there are benefits to the surgery? If it were really exactly the same, how could you ever justify the risks and difficulties of surgery? (I think it's enough the same that I can't imagine choosing to have surgery, so I don't deny there are many similarities, but apparently for some there are sufficient differences to make it a good decision.)

Concerns of temptations and portion control are the same. Yes right out of surgery, you are very limited on your consumption but the honeymoon period is 6-12months for most and up to 18months for some before a lot of the restriction and psychological benefits start diminishing. WLS patients gain weight back which means they are eating a significant amount of calories so they struggle with temptations and portion control just as everyone else does. There are WLS patients who are very athletic who eat 3,000+cals a day. Most people think WLS means that your calories are significant reduced forever which is false.

There are other benefits to surgery outside of temptation and portion control which is what I was referring to when I say there are many benefits to surgery.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    The only way for calories/dietary intake to be reduced in the long term is for the person to be committed to constantly monitoring their intake, keeping it below their point to gain, presupposing there are no overlooked health problems which is highly unlikely though some intolerances such as salicylate and histamine, (problems of elimination) and allergies can independently of calories consumed cause problems.