Cardio versis strength training?

Options
I am a weight lifting/yoga junkie!!!:tongue: I can and do yoga every day (except Sunday, that's my rest day). I also LOVE lifting weights! BUT..... I HATE cardio!!!! I FORCE myself to do it twice a week, but I REALLY have to force myself to do it! It doesn't matter what it is...treadmill, walking videos, aerobics...etc., I just don't like it at all!!!!

Do you think that I would lose weight faster if I did more cardio :explode: , or can I get just as fit by strength training and yoga?

For those who have never done yoga, it is VERY demanding! My heart rate goes up, I sweat, my muscles burn, all of that! Yoga isn't for sissy's! :laugh:

Replies

• Cherylann402
    Options
    I am a weight lifting/yoga junkie!!!:tongue: I can and do yoga every day (except Sunday, that's my rest day). I also LOVE lifting weights! BUT..... I HATE cardio!!!! I FORCE myself to do it twice a week, but I REALLY have to force myself to do it! It doesn't matter what it is...treadmill, walking videos, aerobics...etc., I just don't like it at all!!!!

Do you think that I would lose weight faster if I did more cardio :explode: , or can I get just as fit by strength training and yoga?

For those who have never done yoga, it is VERY demanding! My heart rate goes up, I sweat, my muscles burn, all of that! Yoga isn't for sissy's! :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, then dieting can do the same for you as cardio.

However, there are other health benefits to doing cardio, so you will be missing out on them. (endurance, resting heart rate, blood pressure regulation, etc.)

(I am the opposite of you. . .love cardio hate weights. Love yoga, though)

I say keep making yourself try different cardio. . .maybe you'll discover something. (just one opinion.)

:flowerforyou:
  • RowanC
    RowanC Posts: 38
    Options
    Cheryl, have you tried a "good" rebounder?
    I hate cardio also, but I invested in a nice rebounder and I actually love it. No stress on my joints.. and I can get a GOOD workout in my living room.

The initial investment was around $200 (don't bother buying a cheap one, they're like jumping on cardboard) and it came with several workouts. If you'd like more info, you can message me for the link.

By the way, my grandkids love this too, and it's a great exercise option for kidlings.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way!! When I want to take a break or just build some muscle mass, I do almost NO cardio I hate it so much. When it comes to lifting, I wish I could just spend 3 hours a day with the weights and lose all my fat that way! But my arms would fall off or something :sick: You can lose fat without it, but I find it's easier for me to begrudgingly hop on the elliptical for a half hour so I can eat more, rather than skipping it and eating less. Plus it's great for your heart.