Walking on the spot

Does anyone have views on walking on the spot? With a desk job and no chance to get out in the evening I’ve benn walking on the spot or doing laps of my living room to get my steps up and just keep moving. Someone said to me this was ‘cheating’, but to me as long as I’m moving and not just sat, it’s got to be a win?

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited May 2018
    You burn 1/3rd less calories compared to walking, it's not cheating unless you're using Fitbit and you're in one of those distance challenges and you " walked" more than people who walk, lol.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    I do it all the time. As you say, movement is movement and any movement is good!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Have you got stairs in your house or at work? I take 5 minutes now and then at work and go climb several flights of stairs. At home, my house is on quite a slope with stairs so I go outside and walk up and down sometimes.
  • FeliciaFancy
    FeliciaFancy Posts: 33 Member
    If you have limited space, try a Leslie Sansone walk at home video which incorporates some other movements to make up for the limitations. They're on youtube.

I just had at a look at one of her walking workouts, I love the look of it for a quick home workout :)
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    I did some Leslie Sansone videos a few years ago, having the same problem back then. They work you up pretty good, especially the 45' ones where you also use weights.
    You can try them out and see if they are a good fit for you.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Jessica Smith also has a lot of walking videos on YouTube. I actually prefer her over Leslie Sansone now... I think its the voice :/
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Walking in place is fine. It's not cheating. It's movement. And it's all good.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Are you in some kind of competition with rules that you must move from one location to another? If not then it is not cheating to move however you want.

I walk around inside my house every day for exercise from one room to another. I probably go faster outdoors.

There are many walking workouts on you tube by different people. Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, Pahla Bowers for example.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    All my exercise is walking so yes, according to my fitbit, it counts. :)

Any kind of movement burns more calories than just sitting doing nothing. Even if it's not a lot.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    If you have limited space, try a Leslie Sansone walk at home video which incorporates some other movements to make up for the limitations. They're on youtube.

I often use these on days when the weather is too awful for outdoors and think they are very good. You certainly feel like uou've done something and they vary in length so if you only gave a few minutes you're still good to go. Pacing at work, or while cooking is at least increasing your activity, got to be better than sitting :)