Running 20 min... without a lung!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry, but I'm simply super hyper happy today...!!!!

I don't have a lung (it was removed when I was 2 and a half years old...), and I always had this complex about not being able to run at all... That was what doctors had always told me, and I kind of got the idea into my brain... Anyway, it was so much easier to say... "Yeah, I won't try running because they told me I can't. So I'll just walk".

Well... not anymore.
I tried to run in December, and because of this damned British weather, I got pneumonia...! :sick:
So, for 45 days, no gym for me, again it would be too hard on my lung to even try to go to the gym, let alone run...

On January 21st I joint MFP thanks to a beloved friend's tip, and after the first week I'd lost 2 pounds.
I went back to the gym when my lung got better and started trying to run...
I remember the first day I ran for 2m34s. :cry:
Today I ran 11m, walked for 1m8s, and ran an extra 9m.:bigsmile:

I know it's not the same, but anyway... I ran 20 minutes altogether, and I'm so proud of myself !!!

So, if there's anyone out there with a problem like mine, just try hard...! :wink:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

And Happy Valentine's for everybody!
:love: :heart:

Replies

• CatarinaF
    CatarinaF Posts: 34 Member
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry, but I'm simply super hyper happy today...!!!!

I don't have a lung (it was removed when I was 2 and a half years old...), and I always had this complex about not being able to run at all... That was what doctors had always told me, and I kind of got the idea into my brain... Anyway, it was so much easier to say... "Yeah, I won't try running because they told me I can't. So I'll just walk".

Well... not anymore.
    I tried to run in December, and because of this damned British weather, I got pneumonia...! :sick:
    So, for 45 days, no gym for me, again it would be too hard on my lung to even try to go to the gym, let alone run...

On January 21st I joint MFP thanks to a beloved friend's tip, and after the first week I'd lost 2 pounds.
    I went back to the gym when my lung got better and started trying to run...
    I remember the first day I ran for 2m34s. :cry:
    Today I ran 11m, walked for 1m8s, and ran an extra 9m.:bigsmile:

I know it's not the same, but anyway... I ran 20 minutes altogether, and I'm so proud of myself !!!

So, if there's anyone out there with a problem like mine, just try hard...! :wink:

And Happy Valentine's for everybody!
    :love: :heart:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    WTG!! Very inspiring!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Congratulations!! Isn't it a great feeling??!!!
  • JanS
    JanS Posts: 28 Member
    Awesome - you should be very proud of that achievement - what an inspiration to us all!
  • Congrats that is amazing
  • way to go - that is great - you believed in yourself and did it. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • CatarinaF
    CatarinaF Posts: 34 Member
    Congrats that is amazing

That puppy of yours is sooooooooooooo cute!!!!
    :love: :love: :love:

Thank you !!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    congrats, and your story is so inspiring, thanks for sharing it. Keep up the great work.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    that is wonderful!!!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Yee haw for you sweets!
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Way to go! I had my left lung removed in 2006 and have found that I can still do a lot of things that one would think you could not do without a lung! I even met a dance instructor who only had one lung. So good for you. Keep up the good work!
  • zano2008
    zano2008 Posts: 90 Member
    wow, you rock....20 minutes is great!
  • smsmithart
    smsmithart Posts: 26 Member
    im hoping to just be able to run for 5 mins again ...
    and i have both lungs i keep trying though..

congrats and good luck
  • That's fantastic! I knew of a Marine who was allowed to stay in the USMC after having a lung removed due to an injury he sustained serving in Vietnam, but he had to prove he could keep up with the "rest of the pack" during PT - and he did!

So, good on you, and congrats on joining the "What do doctors know!" club.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    well, I was gonna brag about running 3 straight minutes on the treadmill yesterday, but after your story I now want to wait until it is 10!!:blushing:

:drinker: to courage
    :drinker: to trying
    :drinker: to achievements!

I raise a glass to you for all of your goals and achievements!

Hear Hear:drinker: :drinker:
  • teridene
    Hi there! I too have only one lung having one removed in 2006 from lung cancer. You can run! silly doctors. I went camping and hiking 5 weeks after my surgery. I don't run because I am too fat but I feel I could if I was thinner. I have met a dancing instructor who is physically fit and has only one lung. Keep up the good work and don't be scared! forget that dumb doctor. Have a great day. Teri
  • teridene
    Sorry, I guess I posted twice. I did not realize I had already left a post. Embarrassing!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Wow - you are an inspiration! Keep up the good work. You can conquer anything you set your mind to.

If you can do it with one lung, I can do it with a couple of black ones right? Your motivating me to go run.. and push myself more.

:drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I have two lungs and I don't think I can run that much. :bigsmile: VERY COOL! I'm working on increasing my running time because I know it is such a good exercise!

I'll have to tell my sister your story. She has a really bad lung capacity and says that she can't run. Excuses Excuses!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!