20 mile hike

angelsja
angelsja Posts: 860 Member
Going on a 20mile country hike on Sunday first time I've done anything like this I do alot of walking but never done 20mile in one go over rough terrain. Any advice is welcome

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    • Plan on it taking longer than you think
    • Take a bit more food/water than you think you'll need, just in case
    • Take an extra pair of socks
    • Take, minimally, a hat and chap stick
    • Take an extra set of batteries for your light(s)
    • Know the general area, not just the route you are taking. If you get lost or miss a turn, have a general idea of what direction to go to get back to someplace you know.
  • angelsja
    It's a group walk that I wanted to do last year but missed out due to ticket demand I've done 15miles walking before
  • angelsja
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

It starts at 9am finishes at 5 it's a led walk why would I need lights it doesn't get dark till after 9pm :/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

To add to this, I'd also take something for inevitable blisters.

Is there substantial elevation gain? Most hikes where I live are up a mountain and 20 miles would definitely take all day and probably well into the evening.
  • angelsja
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

To add to this, I'd also take something for inevitable blisters.

Is there substantial elevation gain? Most hikes where I live are up a mountain and 20 miles would definitely take all day and probably well into the evening.

I have no idea there are no mountains where I live there are hilly areas though the info states starts at 9am finishes at 5pm
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Pace yourself, good footwear, and take more than you think you might need. Always better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    If you haven't been consistently doing similar types of walking on a pretty consistent basis, stock up on Ben-Gay and ibuprofen for the DOMS you're going to experience for the next 2-3 days afterward.
  • angelsja
    I typically do between 5-10miles walking daily + been doing T25 for the last 9weeks I know I'll have DOM's for a few days after my hips especially are going to suffer what's Ben-gay I'm in the UK just FYI
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Ah, ok. "hike" has a certain context/meaning to me... but that doesn't seem to apply here.

An 8hr guided walk is, to me, very different than a 20mi hike. For what you're talking about, I'd take a little extra food/water, extra socks, something for blisters (good call @cwolfman13), a hat, some chap stick, and probably an extra layer (fleece, wind breaker, etc... whatever is appropriate).

Yup. I'd call this a walk, but not a true hike. So snacks, water, good socks, decent shoes. And layers.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Sunscreen. Wear sunscreen.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    angelsja wrote: »

It starts at 9am finishes at 5 it's a led walk why would I need lights it doesn't get dark till after 9pm :/

Because unplanned stuff happens when you venture outdoors. It’s better to have a light and not need it than to need one and not have it. I always take a head lamp with me even if I’m only planning to be out for the day.

Group hikes also tend to go at whatever speed the group is capable of. It could take longer than that 9-5 time frame. You could also finish sooner.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    I typically do between 5-10miles walking daily + been doing T25 for the last 9weeks I know I'll have DOM's for a few days after my hips especially are going to suffer what's Ben-gay I'm in the UK just FYI

Ben-gay is a brand of biofreeze, I believe. An ice bath after you get home (at least up to your hips) might help with the DOMS. Stay hydrated, and don't take ibuprofen before or during the hike unless you're drinking A LOT of water, because it can be hard on the liver otherwise. Tylenol (acetominophen) is a safer bet during exercise.