Intake on rest days?

Do the majority of you eat the same or less on rest days? Any reason why?

Replies

• Juice_boi
    Juice_boi Posts: 28 Member
    I tend to eat the same on my days off due to the fact that it’s my recovery day lol I feel better with a full stomach heheh
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I follow MFP's numbers so I eat to my goal on rest days and add more when I exercise. Sometimes I spread the extra calories throughout the week as I prefer to follow a weekly average.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited May 2018
    It depends. If I’ve had a few really strenuous days on than my body needs a little more food to aid recovery. I gage this by how hungry I am and how sore I am. If my workout the day before rest was more mild and I’m not really sore or extra hungry I won’t. I track my calories by week and they tend to average out when I listen to my body these days.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I calorie cycle and eat less on rest days so I can save those calories when I need them.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I eat a little less just so I can stay under my calorie goal. Even on rest days I take walks at work on my break so I'm still burning a bit of calories, but I normally don't eat those back.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Depends on how I'm logging/tracking. I burn less on rest days, so sometimes I'll eat less on a rest day, other times I'll just make sure the numbers balance out at the end of the week.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i eat more on my rest days to replenish glycogen in my muscles and recover; so that way i kick *kitten* the next workout day i have
  • ejg1010
    ejg1010 Posts: 48 Member
    I calorie cycle too and eat fewer calories on rest days. I like to save my calories for days when I am more active.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well, I avoid rest days, but if I ate the same on rest days, I would end up wiping a day's deficit at least.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I follow MFP's numbers so I eat to my goal on rest days and add more when I exercise. Sometimes I spread the extra calories throughout the week as I prefer to follow a weekly average.

This
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I usually eat close to maintenance on rest days. I find it easier to maintain an overall deficit that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    When I was logging, I ended up dumping the MFP method and went with the TDEE method once my exercise was regular. With TDEE I ate roughly the same calories daily whether it was a rest day or a workout day which means there were days I was in a bigger deficit and days I was in a smaller one or none at all, but it all netted out throughout the week.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    CICO means you should eat less unless the math has changed.
  • jessicaroman0517
    jessicaroman0517 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for all the insightful answers! :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Consistency in diet is very crucial. Even on a rest day you should eat the same n hit ur macros. Now if ur carb cycling. On a rest day. I wouldn't have high carbs. Again. If ur carb cycling. Save the high carb day for when u hit the gym again. Otherwise diet should always stay the same. Unless u plan on leaving the gym for a while and by a while being a couple weeks or more. Maybe I'd change my diet. But I don't think that's what ur reffering to.

Why is consistency important unless one is carbohydrate cycling?

What does it matter if I have 1,500 calories one day and 1,800 the next assuming that I'm getting what I need on average?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Consistency in diet is very crucial. Even on a rest day you should eat the same n hit ur macros. Now if ur carb cycling. On a rest day. I wouldn't have high carbs. Again. If ur carb cycling. Save the high carb day for when u hit the gym again. Otherwise diet should always stay the same. Unless u plan on leaving the gym for a while and by a while being a couple weeks or more. Maybe I'd change my diet. But I don't think that's what ur reffering to.

The what now?!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member

While consistency in their diet MAY help a particular person achieve their goals, it is NOT CRUCIAL for EVERYONE.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018

Grammar and sentence structure are also important.

I feel like this post says... "keep your diet consistent unless you meet any of these next 50 criteria, in which case it's ok to change."