Always hungry

kharosc
kharosc Posts: 16 Member
Hello, I started training two weeks ago, I lost 2lbs last week, but I have noticed that I am regularly hungry and it takes a lot out of me to not eat over 1663 calories daily. any advice on what I should eat to stop my hunger?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Have you only been on the diet for 2 weeks or have you been on it longer and the addition of the training is causing the hunger problem?

Are you logging your exercise and eating back a portion of the calories?

• kharosc
    You mean that after I train, I should eat back a portion of the calories or I should have calories available at the end of the day?
  • kharosc
    Its only been 2 weeks.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Log your exercise and eat back maybe half of those calories. For example if I cycle for an hour, I burn about 400 calories. That means I get to eat an extra 200 calories today.

To keep from feeling hungry, play around a bit with what you eat and when you're eating it. Personally I find that eating a small snack with carbs and protein (i.e. a banana protein shake) shortly after an exercise session, and a larger meal in an hour or two, keeps me from wanting to eat everything in sight. Eating 5 small meals instead of 3 large ones, or adding more vegs and lean protein into your diet also might help you feel satiated for longer periods of time.

Also, it's only been two weeks. Your body is still getting used to this new gist of things. Give it another 2 or 3 weeks, and if you keep feeling like you can eat a horse every day, maybe choose a slower rate of losing weight. 2 lbs a week is pretty harsh and might lead to burnout.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Be sure your weekly weight loss goal is not too aggressive. 2 lbs a week is basically only for people who are obese, and even then may not be the most desirable choice.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Play around with meal timing. For me, IF helps me manage my hunger because I just have to get through my fasted period and then I get to eat. The first few days are hard if I stop IF for some reason, but once my body gets used to not eating anything until 11am or later, it stops sending out as many hunger signals in the morning.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Have you tired increasing your daily fiber? I'm on a lower calorie diet, between 1200 and 1500 per day and since I've increased my fiber to 30g-40g, I've been a lot more satisfied. The cravings are almost gone, just dealing with the mental cravings and still breaking old habits.
  • kharosc
    thanks everyone for your thoughtful advice. I love this app!
  • linsitidswell
    linsitidswell Posts: 9 Member
    Drink lots of water. Thirst is often confused with hunger. You’ll find it helps the losses too.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Have you tired increasing your daily fiber? I'm on a lower calorie diet, between 1200 and 1500 per day and since I've increased my fiber to 30g-40g, I've been a lot more satisfied. The cravings are almost gone, just dealing with the mental cravings and still breaking old habits.

What are some of the high fiber foods you've added to your diet?
  • kharosc
    Mostly cereal and whole grain bread and crackers as well.
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    edited May 2018
    h1udd wrote: »
    Not to be the pessimistic one but also prepare yourself for being hungry, when you are in s deficit you will spend a lot more time being hungry, it’s a feeling you have to learn to understand. Nothing bad happens when you are hungry, it’s ok to be hungry, a lot of the time the hunger is your circadian rhythm telling you it’s time to eat, or it’s your stomach telling you it’s empty. For me I was used to eating 3000kcal a day and being full, it took a while for my body to relearn that 3000kcal a day is not the norm .. and even now I never feel truly satisfied unless I have over eaten... good luck, stay strong

dang, that's my exact thought on the matter.

None of the "increase your fiber", "make sure to have protein and fat in your meals", "volume eating is the key", "up your water intake" reeeeally works for me =/

I'm making my peace with the fact that to feel truly satisfied, I have to over-eat (and thus, be over-weight). For me, if I eat "naturally" (as in not putting thought into it), I eat more calories than I expend (goddammit) and I put on (and keep on) approximately 30 pounds. That's my comfort zone.

So I have to eat "mindfully" to lose weight. And, what's worse, I'll have to continue to eat mindfully to maintain the loss D=>

It's a choise. Not eating what you darn want/thinking about cals and macros all day/not being at ease with social activities sucks.

BUT: being over weight/not fitting into clothes nicely/looking like crap in pictures/being the overweight one also sucks.

So, I'm learning to live with this feeling of not-quiiiiite-satisfaction. I let loose on spare occasions and those days I feel da TRUE satisfaction, lol. But, fortunately, the following day I'm always eager to go back to being disciplined and reaching my goals.

I've found discipline gets results and results help stay motivated.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, OP. Good luck!
  • TeaCurls
    TeaCurls Posts: 32 Member
    I find for me eating foods high in carbs don’t keep me full as long as foods higher in protein. Like a bowl of cereal in the morning and I was hangry in an hour. But Greek yogurt keep me more satisfied longer. Also drinking a large glass of water before a meal seems to help. It is different for everyone but if you keep a food journal and note when you start feeling hungry after a meal you will find out what is more satisfying for you.