Clean vegan protein

Options
Can anyone recommend a plant based, vegan protein that doesn’t cause gas? I think the problem is that most of these powders contain protein that is cheap or unclean. I’ve tried so many!

Replies

• MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the whole *clean/unclean* thing, but I use hemp protein powder.

It doesn't blend quite as well as other powders, and I'm told it has a bit of a funky smell (I'm anosmic). I like that it is unflavoured and unsweetened, because I can't stand the taste of sweeteners like stevia.

I've never had GI problems using hemp.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Arbonne is good and I recently tried Amazing grass (I think that’s what it’s called) and so far I like it pretty well.
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    BioTech USA Brown Rice Protein
    Chocolate and Cinnamon flavor - mixes really well and tastes great too!
    *it does contain a sweetener, and I'm sensitive to artificial sweeteners but it works okay for me

I mix (in a blender) 2 scoops + 1 banana + almond/coconut milk and it's fantastic.

Good luck!
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    uhm. black beans, lentils, chickpeas (hummus), nuts seeds.. I can recommend this website: https://www.nomeatathlete.com/go-plant-based/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Spirulina.
  • bluesbabee
    bluesbabee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve used arbonne, it’s just so expensive. I really like Purely inspired, no bloating but the gas thing is too much to put up with. I read somewhere that if you’re experiencing gas with a protein, that it may be the source, (clean versus not). Thanks everyone for the input :))
  • MrDisk
    MrDisk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend TrueNutrition. They manufacture their own protein and the cost is very low. I've tried a lot of different brands and it is by far my favorite in terms of flavor and how well it mixes. The fact that it's also affordable is a bonus.

https://truenutrition.com/veganplant-proteins.aspx
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have no idea what unclean protein is. Perhaps the gas is because you are sensitive to a source, like pea vs hemp protein, not because one is "cleaner". I like spirutein...
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I've heard dawn soap helps clean up animals from oil spills, maybe they're vegan friendly and you can clean up your protein with that? Jk I'm just being an a hole. Tbh, everything is pretty much processed now a days. You'd have to go with a raw sprouted protein to get the most unprocessed form, or whole foods, but what's wrong with "unclean sources"? Whatever that means.....
  • aubreeshelley
    aubreeshelley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of beans/legumes normally? If you don’t then your gut may not be used to them even in powdered form.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Natural flavored Sunwarrior. Natural pra and Rice are easy. I have a lot of difestive sensitivities and these work wonderful
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    ursula130 wrote: »
    uhm. black beans, lentils, chickpeas (hummus), nuts seeds.. I can recommend this website: https://www.nomeatathlete.com/go-plant-based/

I cook with those a lot, but (on a 1400 calories diet), I still dont always get the recommended amount of protein. - So, I started adding pea protein into my oat meal, and sometimes my soup or stew. Also went back to sometimes drinking soy milk instead of oat milk in my coffee, because higher protein while only slightly more calories.

Just little hacks to improve the protein consumption without majorly upping calories (nuts are sadly oh so calorie dense).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I like owynn it uses pumpkin protein!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    There is no such things as clean or unclean protein...most vegan protein supplements are either pea, hemp, or rice...you likely just have a sensitivity to one of them or one or more of the other ingredients. In general, many people experience gas when consuming more protein than they did previously, whether that is from a supplement or more chicken, etc. If you are vegan, are you eating more legumes and beans, etc than you used to? That could also be the culprit rather than the supplement.

Protein supplements are inherently a highly processed food good regardless of whether they are vegan or not. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but if you're worried about "clean"...highly processed food goods are generally not considered "clean" in that regard.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Some vegan powders have Xanthan Gum. Rips me and my wife completely apart (our stomachs, I should clarify!). Vega used to have it in massive amounts, but they have taken it out of some of their brands. I'm not sure which ones.

I use SunWarrior and Orgain and have no issues with either. Both are good. SunWarrior has (in my opinion) the best label. Their "Classic" uses fermented grains and Pea Protein, I believe. Their Warrior uses Hemp, Pea and Artichoke if I'm not mistaken. Sweetened only with Organic Stevia. That's my wife's favorite. I like Orgain, though they use one other sweetener in addition to Stevia.

Oh, Orgain has a limited ingredient one that's has less fillers in it (called Simple) but it doesn't taste nearly as good IMHO. Costco was carrying a Peanut Butter Cup version of it but isn't any longer but they have a Chocolate Fudge one on Orgain's site. That might sit better with you if you have a sensitive stomach.
  • rawgeorgiana
    rawgeorgiana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Norcal Organic Pea Protein is what I use because it's clean, no additives, no sweeteners, but the downside of it is that it doesn't taste so delicious...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I realize the OP is old. The clean/unclean thing makes no sense to me, but in any definition I think beans and lentils are vegan and "clean" and decent sources of protein. Some also (not me) find they cause gas.

IME, tofu doesn't cause gas, I like it, you may or may not consider it (horrors!) unclean.
  • capgordon2774
    capgordon2774 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bluesbabee wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a plant based, vegan protein that doesn’t cause gas? I think the problem is that most of these powders contain protein that is cheap or unclean. I’ve tried so many!

I like jack fruit great in stews and stuff versatile stuff