You don’t have to exercise to lose weight!

Thoughts? Everytime Iv lost weight Iv just been careful of what I’ve been eating and went about my daily routine. The gym just causes sore body parts for days!

Replies

• haleygosk
    haleygosk Posts: 23 Member
    Honesty gemma it happened before my eyes. Don’t waste money on gyms!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    OP while any new exercise might hurt for a while (a few days), the body soon adapts and DOMS become a thing of the past.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    haleygosk wrote: »
    I’d like to have the time for gyms but with such a busy schedule I unfortunately don’t. Just be careful of what your eating all day and get your bum off a chair for the best part of a day and that seems to work best for me with no pain involved

If your active in your daily life that can contribute as exercise, but it is good to get the heart rate up daily - even a brisk walk is a good idea.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Right ... you don't need exercise to lose weight.

But speaking for myself, my life would be so much emptier and less happy without exercise. :)
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    True, but as many have said exercise and balanced diet combined are what makes one healthy. Just weighing a certain weight doesn’t necessarily make one healthy. I also find adding exercise improves my mind, it releases endorphins. At the least try to get a twenty minute walk in, no gym required for that. You also don’t need the gym to work your muscles, find a simple body weight routine and your muscles and bones will be healthy too.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    No, you don't HAVE to work out to lose weight. Weight loss is caused by a calorie deficit. BUT, you will feel better when you incorporate exercise. You will increase your cardiovascular health and become a healthier person, rather than just weighing less. Additionally, at some point, you will continue to lose muscle and your metabolism will slow (muscle burns fat) and you will stall more than a person who has more lean muscle mass.

Why not weigh less AND be physically healthier? I would hate to have put in so much effort to lose all my weight (135 pounds) and still feel just as lethargic and unhealthy as I did before. I can run circles around my old self and it feels freakin' amazing.

So can you lose weight without exercise? Absolutely. Is it the best idea for your overall health? nah..

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    OP while any new exercise might hurt for a while (a few days), the body soon adapts and DOMS become a thing of the past.

I have DOM's practically 24/7 whenever I'm working out especially when walking up stairs or hills
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    But exercise makes you feel so good, so why not?????
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    haleygosk wrote: »
    Honesty gemma it happened before my eyes. Don’t waste money on gyms!

You can definitely lose weight without gyms, but I wouldn't say "don't waste money on gyms" unless you add the caveat "if all you want to do is lower the number on the scale." Skinnyfat is a thing, and weight loss alone won't give that toned look that a lot of people are looking for.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. But it depends on your goals.

I've done it both ways. Without exercise I ended up losing all my glutes. Not a look I would prefer for myself ever again if I can avoid it.
  • haleygosk
    haleygosk Posts: 23 Member
    Yeah but I don’t want to be healthy wolfman, just skinny. And I’m happy, so just cutting down portion sizes works for me