Heart rate and lifting weights?

Does anyone’s heart rate go into the cardio zone while lifting weights? Mine does, and my question is: should i be doing actual cardio? Even though i can get my heart rate into cardio zone while lifting weights?

Replies

• cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    If you are working hard and pushing yourself then its not uncommon for your heart rate to jump up into the 140's while lifting weights
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    cleesus wrote: »
    If you are working hard and pushing yourself then its not uncommon for your heart rate to jump up into the 140's while lifting weights

Yup, this. My HR is usually through the roof when I'm lifting.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I don’t wear a heart rate thing but yes my heart rate goes up when i do something like squats and deadlifts but just for a little while
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    Not uncommon at all. Especially deadlifts, squats, pullups for me. My resting heart rate is on avg about 58 bpm and get as high as 170's when lifting really heavy. But yeah cardio is good for your heart you should do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'll get up to well above aerobic zone on long reps for squats or deads.

But it's not aerobic, and therefore not the benefits of cardio (a few, but not near the same level of benefits).

Ditto's to rybo.

And the cardio/aerobic improvements can help the lifting - recovery between sets.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    my heart rate goes up with some of my lifts , and i have general conditioning built into my program so i don't do cardio. Add cardio if its part of your goals and your program or if you want to. I'm on a lifting program that isn't' compatible with steady start cardio, so no cardio for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Yes, you should be doing actual cardio. Just because your heart rate spikes while lifting weights, doesn't mean you are getting the cardiovascular benefits.

Exactly this. You are getting some marginal cardiovascular benefits, but not the same as doing actual cardiovascular work. It's akin to people doing the elliptical or running or cycling and wondering if they need to lift, particularly if they need a leg day. Sure, they're getting some resistance, but it's not the same thing as lifting or other purposeful resistance training.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    It is common for heart rate to go higher during weight lifting because many people do not utilize the same proper breathing techniques used during typical cardio. Or they go too hard too fast. Kind of like starting a marathon tat full speed.

Of course when maxing out the above isnt the case at all.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Depends upon reps and work to rest ratio. It can be like wind sprints. I consider kettlebell metcon to be better cardio than my steady state cardio 40 minute walk with a bag of sand in my backpack.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    Depends upon reps and work to rest ratio. It can be like wind sprints. I consider kettlebell metcon to be better cardio than my steady state cardio 40 minute walk with a bag of sand in my backpack.

You can certainly do weightlifting that gets you in the aerobic zone, but thats more like circuit training than strength training.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    I like to mix metabolic conditioning and slow grinds. I'm not a competitive athlete or body builder. Just a guy who wants to not be too old manish an old man. I detest steady state cardio and prefer something circuit trainingish to meet my goals. But yes, if you have the long rest to work ration typical of people really going heavy it doesn't serve much of a cardio purpose even if you do skyrocket your pulse and respiration during the work phase.