Fitness vs Allergy season

Options
Hi Friends, hoping you will have some advice for me: allergy-season is putting my motivation at an all-time low!

I usually am pretty good about keeping up with a regular workout schedule. I have a dance class on Mondays, go for a run on Tuesdays & Saturdays, strength training on Wednesdays, and do yoga on Fridays. This is a routine that has worked for me for the past several months - I know I can stick to it and enjoy it.

But now that it's warming up and spring is in session, I feel SO CRUMMY!! My throat is sore, I keep sneezing, my head hurts and my eyes are all puffy, even though I'm taking medicine :( From past experience I know my allergies can last at least a month, and I feel miserable throughout. I am totally unmotivated and I just do not want to move, let alone push myself with a workout.

Does anyone else that suffers from hay-fever have any tips or tricks to feeling better and exercising during this season? I would really appreciate any advice! So far I've decided to keep all running indoors on a treadmill for obvious reasons :)

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I try to drink more water when I have allergy symptoms. Maybe schedule your runs later in the evening if you want to run outdoors.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You can try a different med or timing on the allergy meds. (For me, Cetirizine is stronger than Fexofenadine... the latter worked for much of the year, but was not enough for spring/early summer).

Some areas might be better than others (and not necessarily where you expect). The city near where I work doesn't have much in the way of greenery, but what it does have [1] blows around the dusty barren roads/parking lots, and [2] includes the dreaded cottonwood. Cycling commuting to work is a no-go in the spring for me.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have hay fever really bad. My eyes will swell shut and people think I have asthma. I have a small farm and cut my own hay which really sends my body through the ringer. The first year we started our farm we weren't sure if we would be able to continue with my allergies. What I have found to help me is I found a farmer that lives just down the valley and I purchase his all natural honey. I eat a spoon fun in my tea every day during the off season and twice a day during hay season. My allergies have got a lot better over the past two years. This year when I cut and baled hay I didn't hardly have any reactions. I didn't even take medication later in the evening. There is always a shot you can get from your doctor and Allegra, Zertec, or Flonase. The Flonase works best for my son who also has allergies but the honey gives him really bad heartburn so he just sticks with that. Best of luck!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I started allergy shots and OMG THEY ARE A LIFESAVER. I am on the cheapest health insurance plan since I am in grad school but the shots are still FREE!! However the time commitment is high in the beginning. I used to get shots once a week and now I am on a every two week schedule for the past year or so.

However, I was allergic to cats, horses, grass, hay, lots and lots of pollen, dust, mold and I have a cat and ride horses. I used to get puffy eyes on windy days, I used to get itchy eyes if I sat in grass, I used to have to sneeze and blow my nose constantly if I was in a room with a cat. It was like having a cold. Low level headaches that would last two weeks in the spring and all allergy meds are laughable at best.

One month into the shots, and most of my symptoms were gone. It is spring here now with pollen smothering everything and I have yet to get a headache. I don't have cat allergies anymore, and my nose gets a bit itchy at the barn but my system gets overloaded with the hay, dust, horse, trees, grass out there.

Flonase helped with sneezing but it is a steriod that treats your symptoms, allergy shots reset your triggers so it eliminates the problems.

In summary long term solution: allergy shots if you have the time; short term flonase +headache medicine
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was miserable last year and finally saw an allergist but everything he told me to take was OTC. He switched me from one nasal spray to the Flonase Sensimist and put me on Xyzal instead of the other ones Zyrtec/Claritin which I had been taking.

It's too late in the season now but the other thing I've done in the past is buy local raw honey and start a tablespoon of that every day in around February.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's tree allergy season and I have it very bad as well! Sucks!

I went to the allergist and I think it was a waste of time and healthcare dollars. The end result were prescriptions and OTCs that any doctor can give you.

I take Allegra (in fact, I use the Costco version), Azalastine Hydrochloride nasal spray, and Zaditore eye drops (occasionally when needed).

Another tip is to keep your bedroom windows closed and get a room air filter or run the fan of your AC all night. Wear a dust mask when working outdoors. Wash your hands and face every time you come into the house. Spray your nose with saline. Do everything you can to keep the pollen off you.

I can also report that cardo temporarily reduces the histamine response. When I go to the gym and get on a machine, 5 minutes in, my symptoms usually go away. Sadly, they eventually come back when I stop!

( @gearhead426hemi I'd love to try the Honey thing someday if I can find a local source.)
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    It's too late in the season now but the other thing I've done in the past is buy local raw honey and start a tablespoon of that every day in around February.

I am definitely going to try the local honey trick, I've heard some people mention it before but I love the idea of starting in early February! One to remember for next year.
    kballsocc wrote: »
    In summary long term solution: allergy shots if you have the time; short term flonase +headache medicine

Your description of allergy shots honestly sounds magical!! I might look into this if I can afford the time commitment
    Another tip is to keep your bedroom windows closed and get a room air filter or run the fan of your AC all night. Wear a dust mask when working outdoors. Wash your hands and face every time you come into the house. Spray your nose with saline. Do everything you can to keep the pollen off you.

I can also report that cardo temporarily reduces the histamine response. When I go to the gym and get on a machine, 5 minutes in, my symptoms usually go away. Sadly, they eventually come back when I stop!

( @gearhead426hemi I'd love to try the Honey thing someday if I can find a local source.)

I like the anti-pollen ideas too, this is something I will try starting today! Also interesting with the cardio! I'm going to the gym today hell or highwater so I will test it out for myself :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    for you all who want local honey. go to the farmers markets and talk to the honey sellers
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I can vouch for the honey too, I wouldn't say it completely alleviates my allergies but it makes it more manageable. I had great success with Claritin for a while, but it stopped working this season. I switched to Xyzal and it took a good 10 days before it made any difference. I completely understand what you're going through, I had to re-landscape my yard during the worst of it and felt absolutely miserable for weeks. Try to stay away from triggers as much as possible until you get the right medicine for your needs. For me that meant finding a different running route, my neighborhood is a lot worse on my allergies than the neighborhood I work in, so I brought a change of clothes and ran there instead for a while.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Flonase and Allegra at night, Nasalcrom morning and as needed throughout the day. I just have to be vigilant about taking the meds throughout the spring.