Wow - That had how few calories ?!!?

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Bumping this thread cuz it's awesome.

Bacon for the eleventh time!
    Some cheeses are amazingly low calories, only now do I realize how important reading the label is
    Cans of tuna. Or basically all kinds of stuff that live in the sea
    Baked beans, a little bit goes a (really) long way
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Cucumber/pickles, strawberries, plums, Yasso bars, turkey bacon, carrots.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »

Some cheeses are amazingly low calories, only now do I realize how important reading the label is

Please expand on which cheeses are low cal - I love cheese!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member

Took a look in the fridge. Right now I've got parmesan at 392 calories per 100g, and low fat cheddar at around 286 per 100g. Both have more protein than fat, so win!
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    edited May 2018
    My favouritest discovery: KFC drumsticks are only 120 calories each :p I round them up to 200 and I can eat FOUR of them!
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Eelkov wrote: »
    demarcan wrote: »
    don't bite my head off but SUGAR. a teaspoon is only 15 calories. very satisfying tastewise and psychologically if you sprinkle some on fruit/whatever else you want or in your hot beverage of choice. makes you realize how much sugar is packed into so many of our foods... because a little can go a long way.

Actually, I completely agree... considering sugar is "the bad guy" simply adding a teaspoon or two of sugar to your wheatbix is actually fine...

The war should be on "Hidden Sugar"..

What's Wheatbix?

It's a Brit/Aus Hot breakfast cereal. I believe it's similar to Farina or Cream of wheat.

Although my Google fu suggests that it's a cold cereal more like the old school giant Kellogg's shredded wheat bricks.

Interesting. Never seen it down in the Midwest.

Actually, it is never served hot generally served by putting two in a bowl and pouring some cold milk over them... Some people like to put berries on top, but I think thats just the people in the advertisements :)
    It is essentially wheat compressed to a brick shape, you pour milk over it... Very high in fibre, iron, folate and stuff. Low in calories, high in GI...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet-Bix

When you pour milk over the wheatbix it goes soggy over time, some people like them crunchy, some soggy, so milk placement and how quickly you eat it controls that... :)

Weet-bix are normally considered medium GI. And they must always be eaten soggy :)
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2018
    demarcan wrote: »
    don't bite my head off but SUGAR. a teaspoon is only 15 calories. very satisfying tastewise and psychologically if you sprinkle some on fruit/whatever else you want or in your hot beverage of choice. makes you realize how much sugar is packed into so many of our foods... because a little can go a long way.

Actually, I completely agree... considering sugar is "the bad guy" simply adding a teaspoon or two of sugar to your wheatbix is actually fine...

The war should be on "Hidden Sugar"..

What's Wheatbix?

It's a Brit/Aus Hot breakfast cereal. I believe it's similar to Farina or Cream of wheat.

Although my Google fu suggests that it's a cold cereal more like the old school giant Kellogg's shredded wheat bricks.

Interesting. Never seen it down in the Midwest.

Actually, it is never served hot generally served by putting two in a bowl and pouring some cold milk over them... Some people like to put berries on top, but I think thats just the people in the advertisements :)
    It is essentially wheat compressed to a brick shape, you pour milk over it... Very high in fibre, iron, folate and stuff. Low in calories, high in GI...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet-Bix

When you pour milk over the wheatbix it goes soggy over time, some people like them crunchy, some soggy, so milk placement and how quickly you eat it controls that... :)

I like mine crunchy so I have mine with yogurt instead of milk and berries :) oh and I've had it hot as well made with either hot water or hot milk lovely on a cold day
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Tim Horton French vanilla capp---460 calories. I nearly fainted!!!
    That is just a drink. A wasted drink :(
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Tim Horton French vanilla capp---460 calories. I nearly fainted!!!
    That is just a drink. A wasted drink :(

This is for wow that had how FEW calories not wow that had HOW MANY
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member

Took a look in the fridge. Right now I've got parmesan at 392 calories per 100g, and low fat cheddar at around 286 per 100g. Both have more protein than fat, so win!

Yeah I'm impressed with parmesan too! 1tbsp of the grated stuff goes so far for so little! Low fat feta is also good.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Regular whole fat ricotta. The calories are pretty tame for a regular cheese. I was surprised I was able to eat a little over 100 grams of it for less than 200 calories.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Chili. Especially true if I make it at home, but even most restaurants aren't bad at all. When I think of all the 1000 calorie salad bombs I ate through my 20s when I was trying to make low-cal choices, and instead I could have been having a delicious hearty bowl of chili for half that...
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member

Yeah I'm impressed with parmesan too! 1tbsp of the grated stuff goes so far for so little! Low fat feta is also good.
    I love grated Pecorino Romano, a tablespoon or 2 really flavors up veggies or a salad for not a lot of calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    With all the whipped cream comments, I do have to say that the store bought stuff (in the spray can) is 15 calories for 5g, and it's a TINY amount. So I'm not sure where all the 'whipped cream is so low calorie' comments are coming from. I need 50ish calories of the stuff to be satisfied.
    My favouritest discovery: KFC drumsticks are only 120 calories each :p I round them up to 200 and I can eat FOUR of them!

The site says 130 calories. Still seems odd. They must use tiny chickens.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Spongebob Squarepants popsicles. 100 calories for a serving, and it's surprisingly good.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2018
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    Heinz gravy. 1/4 cup for 20 kcal. I used to use it so sparingly.. now I just pour it on!

thanks for that info! Open face turkeys here I come!
    For me, sugar free jello pudding made with skim milk. I use pbfit with the fudge chocolate, almost taste like a reeses to me!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Yasso Greek yogurt ice cream bars. 80-100 calories per bar, and they actually taste like ice cream!!! Plus, 5g protien per bar as well.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    sauerkraut - it's about 25 to 30 cals per cup

right I mean it's made of cabbage, so it should've been more obvious but it is SO LOW in calories ... and I just love it!
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Ice cream cone at Macdonalds 170 calories
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Homemade steak stew...I put no fatty meat in at all, potatoes, carrots and turnip. Very filling and low cal.
    Another is Subway as long as you hold the mayo. I get a sub with no cheese/mayo loaded with turkey and lettuce and it is filling without all the cals