Intermittent fasting

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I did 16/8 for quite a while, months, until I really got into regular exercise. At that point, I began to feel hungry in the mornings. I decided to listen to my body and eat breakfast again (while IF’ing I would begin eating at noon-1 pm). IF can be a great tool for managing calorie intake if it works into your schedule/life.
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »

This might be a cultural thing but your post is condescending and not cool. maybe you are just hangry. Who knows. Not helpful. Anyhow.

Maybe I didn't explain my issue well:
    If my fasting would be midnight to midnight, MFP would tell me I ate 500 calories that day. But if I do 8-8, I have to check the day before I have dinner to get the 500 calories. I will obviously NOT go out and have another 900 calories for dinner just to get to my daily TDEE, that would defeat the purpose. Essentially: to do I use IF when using MFP or do I need a different tracker?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    ursula130 wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »

This might be a cultural thing but your post is condescending and not cool. maybe you are just hangry. Who knows. Not helpful. Anyhow.

Maybe I didn't explain my issue well:
    If my fasting would be midnight to midnight, MFP would tell me I ate 500 calories that day. But if I do 8-8, I have to check the day before I have dinner to get the 500 calories. I will obviously NOT go out and have another 900 calories for dinner just to get to my daily TDEE, that would defeat the purpose. Essentially: to do I use IF when using MFP or do I need a different tracker?

5:2 is a way of breaking up the week. If you eat after 8 accidentally or intentionally it doesn't matter. What matters is that your total calorie count for the week is your daily goal x 7. If you enjoy eating more on 5 days and paying for it during 2 days this plan is for you. It won't help you lose weight any faster.

• 43Ninebark
    43Ninebark Posts: 41 Member
    I do 18:6. I eat from 2pm-8pm because supper is usually around 7:30 and I like having dinner with my fiance. Before IF I liked to go to sleep a little hungry because it seemed like I didn't lose or gain weight doing that, so these hours work for me. It really is plenty of time for 2 meals and a snack!
    Oh and I'm not a hardcore faster because I allow myself milk in my coffee. Black coffee is one sad cup of coffee, and I love having a satisfying cup of coffee in the morning with the cool morning air and gentle morning light. It just goes together. Lol! When I first tried IF, I drank my coffee black and had proper coffee later on, but it just sucked. So I have around 1.5 cups of milk in the morning with my coffees (I like adding quite a bit of milk)- maybe less.

I'm still getting my daily calories in, but less than before probably! Because I'm still kind of having the biggish meals that I used to--- minus brekkie which would be something like eggs, toast, fruit, and cheese or yogurt/milk with granola and fruit.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    edited May 2018
    I used to religiously follow 5:2. Then I started lifting weights and found I was just too hungry to keep it up. Lately I have discovered that due to my insanely busy work day i think I am inadvertently intermittent fasting. I have a coffee for breakfast at about 6am. I start work at 7. Then the next thing I know it’s about 2pm and I’m having my second coffee for the day while entering my progress notes into the computer (whoops I forgot to eat lunch again)
    I finish at approximately 4pm. Have a nice big dinner with the family at about 6 and I’m in bed by 9pm.
    Does that fall under IF? Am I setting myself up to burnout?

Edited to add:
    I walk the dog most afternoons and I lift weights (StrongLifts 5x5) three days a week
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    I just started doing 14:10 this week to ease into IF, thinking that I can slowly creep up that fasting time as I adjust. It's definitely helping to kill my nighttime ice-cream which frequently squashes my daily efforts. Also I've stopped eating super early breakfast with my toddler because wether I eat that meal or skip it, I'm wanting a snack at 9-10am. It's easier to meet my goal without the extra 300 calories of non-satiating breakfast. I think IF mainly helps with behavioral issues like wanting large 1000 meals or having trouble with night time munchies.
  • LoveJoyFood
    LoveJoyFood Posts: 15 Member
    I started my intermittent fasting doing 16:8. I am now down to one meal a day. My appetite has decreased so much that I usually come in under 1200 calories a day. I try to eat a little more but I feel so full for sooo long. I have 50 pounds left to lose. I am now tracking my weight loss for consistently. It could be that I am hampering my efforts by eating fewer calories. That's what they tell me anyway. But I am not starving myself. I have to emphasize that I just don't get that hungry anymore. I eat a good healthy and substantial meal each day and it seems to be enough. My energy is good too. I work, take care of the kids, get my walking in, cook for the family, etc. My body seems to have enough reserves (haha) to keep hunger at bay for now.
  • Darthur43
    Darthur43 Posts: 5 Member
    I have been trying intermittent fasting for the past two months and so far I LOVE the results I am getting. Does anyone else do this? Initially I was doing 16:8, but recently I've switched to a 5:2- what do you currently prefer, or do you have a con side to this?
    I have been trying intermittent fasting for the past two months and so far I LOVE the results I am getting. Does anyone else do this? Initially I was doing 16:8, but recently I've switched to a 5:2- what do you currently prefer, or do you have a con side to this?

I just learned about IF and have been doing a lot of research. I'm a big snacker, so going to ease in to it with just 3 meals per day (6am/12pm/6pm) with no snacks for a week, then moving to 18:6. I know this isn't really fasting, but just cutting out snacks will be a task for me and I'm told it makes for an easier transition. If I jump in head first I think I'd give up and sabotage it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Darthur43 wrote: »

I just learned about IF and have been doing a lot of research. I'm a big snacker, so going to ease in to it with just 3 meals per day (6am/12pm/6pm) with no snacks for a week, then moving to 18:6. I know this isn't really fasting, but just cutting out snacks will be a task for me and I'm told it makes for an easier transition. If I jump in head first I think I'd give up and sabotage it.

Good thinking. Just the fact that you’ve thought about it and have a plan is incredible. You’ve got this!! :smile:
  • jheye
    jheye Posts: 36 Member
    I started IF a few weeks ago and it's working well for me. I'm doing 16:8 because I'm not usually hungry at breakfast, so just eating lunch and dinner works well for me. The other day I planned a late lunch, got tied up at work and ended up getting home so late I decided to just wait for dinner, so I had an almost 24 hr fast. What surprised me was that I really wasn't annoyingly hungry or tired until about the time I started cooking dinner. I'll stick with 16:8 with no between meal snacks because that has helped me recognize hunger and satiety and largely eliminate the snacking habit.
  • plexusinnc
    plexusinnc Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    I started IF about five weeks ago with no calorie counting. I lost 7-8 lbs during the first four weeks. I then decided to implement calorie counting to help make better choices. I lost 2.7 after one week of that so will continue to track calories. I do 20:4 Monday-Friday; then allow myself 16:8 on the weekends.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I do 8:16.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    I love it! I fluctuate between 18-20 hours fasting. I'm not using a scale but measurements instead because of body recomposition. As recommended by most IF experts, I do not count calories.

Counting calories is not necessary for weight loss. But being in a caloric deficit, by whatever means one attains it, most certainly is.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    I love it! I fluctuate between 18-20 hours fasting. I'm not using a scale but measurements instead because of body recomposition. As recommended by most IF experts, I do not count calories.

Even doing IF, you don't lose weight if you're not in a calorie deficit.
  • I have been doing 20:4 and I lost 5.5 pounds in the first week and for the last week nothing, today I was up 1/2 a pound. I like the well it makes my body feel. I hope to continue to drop slowly as I am in the obese range for my height ( 5 foot 1 ). I was hoping to see my blood sugar go down, but so far it has not and it is even starting to rise, so not sure what I will do. Any thoughts are most welcome !
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

Serious question - why would they recommend NOT counting calories?
    I understand some people might not need to count when doing IF, because it naturally keeps them in a deficit, but what's the harm in counting?