Yoga

So my 10 year old daughter has become interested in Yoga and I think it is something I could do with her but, I have some questions. I am hoping that someone can answer a few of them for me. I am by no means ready to go to a Yoga Studio and will be doing this from my living room.

1. Is it something I can realistically do at my weight (276)?
2. What is the most difficult part about it?
3. Are there any YouTube videos that are great for beginners?
4. Does it have any benefit to weight loss or is it just a means for relaxation?
5. If anyone has any pointers I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance. :smiley:

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Search YouTube for "obese yoga". There are plenty :) I tried starting with ones on Netflix/Amazon prime, but couldn't quite do it, so switched to the big girl modified yoga for now.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Oh and tons of benefits. There is one that comes up of a man who went from disabled and obese to amazing with yoga.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I think it's great that your daughter is interested in yoga and that you can do it together!

One of the many great things about yoga is that people of all shapes, sizes, and ages are together in the same classes. I'd strongly suggest going to a studio with well-trained teachers. Proper form and breathing is critical and yoga instructors are very helpful.

After learning some basics, doing some yoga at home to videos is fine, but as two new beginners IMO going to a studio first is best.
  • MrsBrooks0913
    MrsBrooks0913 Posts: 27 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I think it's great that your daughter is interested in yoga and that you can do it together!

One of the many great things about yoga is that people of all shapes, sizes, and ages are together in the same classes. I'd strongly suggest going to a studio with well-trained teachers. Proper form and breathing is critical and yoga instructors are very helpful.

After learning some basics, doing some yoga at home to videos is fine, but as two new beginners IMO going to a studio first is best.

Thank you! I do want to do a studio one day, but definitely have no confidence to show up. Just something else I have to work on.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Google DDP Yoga. It's exactly what you're looking for, and has some of the yoga/yogi woo wheels knocked off.

As far as benefit for weight loss, none directly, BUT!!! being more mobile, flexible and pain free tends to result in being more active.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yoga is doable for most people.
    i do not see why you couldn't do it. i think gravity is the hardest part.
    it can assist in building muscle, balance, and flexibility.
    weight loss is due to a calorie deficit so can it assist? yes

go to a studio. videos are great but can't help you with modifications and alignment. As a teacher, i love to see all body types walk into class. look for beginner or hatha yoga or community/karma yoga. those are generally aimed toward beginners or alignment. try different classes, studios, and teachers.
    once you learn, then videos are a fun option

I couldn't touch my toes when i started.
  • MrsBrooks0913
    MrsBrooks0913 Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you all for the information; I will look into what the area around me has.
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    I can recommend Adriene also, she is awesome and has loads of shorter, beginner videos on her youtube channel.
    Also, she is funny and not intimidating, doing crazy poses no human gets to when starting out.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I also recommend Yoga with Adrienne. She is awesome, and anyone can do yoga. It is wonderful for both body and mind.
  • tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    I would try going to a studio/class if you can. Mine has men and women of all ages, shapes and sizes. A good teacher will provide options for your level and focus on alignment.

To answer your questions
    1. Obsoletely! You will have to modify some poses, a good teacher will show you these and provide props if needed
    2. For me, it was getting over not being good enough. I would always try to choose the most difficult option for poses even if it wasn't what my body needed.
    3. Yoga with Aidrene
    4. I've lost weight since starting but only when I started focusing on my diet. I've made big improvements in flexibility and am starting to see an improvement with my posture.
    5. Try out a couple of youtube videos to get comfortable with some of the poses and transitions before trying out classes.

• no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    edited May 2018
    I first tried yoga as part of my Daily Burn subscription (which you can try free for 30 days, I believe). I'd always been interested in trying but didn't want to go to a class. I live in a small town and guaranteed the yoga ladies and I would know each other and I would feel very self conscious.

Anyways, I really liked the beginner yoga classes I tried through Daily Burn. They do a good job in their videos of including modifications and walking you through proper form.

Yoga burns calories just like any other movement would, so of course it can help with weight loss! Probably not a high-calorie burn, but certainly more than not doing any exercise. I like to use yoga on my rest days in between workouts because it feels so good to stretch and work on that mobility.

I am in no way a yoga expert or even close and I still have never attended a yoga class, but I feel like I have a good understanding of enough basic moves to do on my own.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Another recommendation for Yoga With Adriene, but another vote for going to a few classes first as well.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I agree with others about going to some classes at first so that an instructor can help you with alignment and form and show you modifications as needed. Once you get a feel for it, there are lots of YouTube yoga videos.
    I also agree with everyone recommended yoga with Adriene. Her videos are a great pace for beginners.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    If you can’t get to a class I’m going to put in another vote for Adrienne.
    Also, you could try the Down Dog app which has several styles to try with practices of all lengths from 15min - over an hour. It has 4-5 difficulties too so you can start at real beginner and say there as long as you need. The free version has plenty to be working on, without switching to the paid-for.

(ETA: I have an iPhone/iPad, don’t know if Down Dog is available for other OS’s....)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Do you have Instagram? Or a well supplied local library? Check out MynameisJessamyn, she's a yoga teacher who's known for her size. She's written books too.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Another vote for Yoga with Adrienne I was never really into it thinking it's something I want to try but too "hippy" for me to take it seriously but once I discovered her videos I am absolutely in love with it.

I do it daily now my 8 year old often joins and she also loves Cosmic yoga for kids. I think it's great example for kids doing activities together and brings us closer together.

I think it can assist weight loss and it really helps me relax.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    So my 10 year old daughter has become interested in Yoga and I think it is something I could do with her but, I have some questions. I am hoping that someone can answer a few of them for me. I am by no means ready to go to a Yoga Studio and will be doing this from my living room.

1. Is it something I can realistically do at my weight (276)?
    2. What is the most difficult part about it?
    3. Are there any YouTube videos that are great for beginners?
    4. Does it have any benefit to weight loss or is it just a means for relaxation?
    5. If anyone has any pointers I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance. :smiley:

1: You should be able to, I think I was around 250 when I first tried.
    2: For me, downward dog was the hardest part mostly due to my poor strength.
    3: Yoga with Adrienne is great - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKE7WVJfvaHW5q283SxchA
    4: Calorie burn will be pretty low, but it's certainly not 0. The calorie burn in the myfitnesspal database is probably at least 2x too high, though. When I was 250-300, I found pretty much any activity was reasonable for weight loss, though.

I'd recommend giving a beginners group class a try, or maybe checking out a beginners video by adrienne.