May 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    A very slow and steady four miles on the treadmill last night. I went on the treadmill because I knew if I went outside I would be tempted to either run fast or do more miles than I was planning. As it turned out, it was a good move because there was one heck of a thunderstorm going on. I got absolutely soaked to the skin just dashing through the parking lot after I'd finished my run.

A rest day today I think (I am supposed to be tapering after all). I'll probably do a couple of miles on Thursday, followed by a rest on Friday, and then it's my half on the Saturday. Woot!

My total for May so far is around 20 miles, which is lower than I was hoping for. I lost an entire week of training including a couple of long runs thanks to an injury. I may have to run/walk on Saturday, but I'll finish.

This is the Martha's Vineyard HM right? I can't wait to hear how you liked the course, area, etc. Good luck and hope you have fun!

Thank you! I love the Vineyard. We usually go for a week right after Labor Day. There aren't as many people around, but the weather is good and the restaurants and bars are still open. Looking forward to seeing it at this time of year.

The course starts near Vineyard Haven and the first 3 miles go through the Manuel Correllus State Forest (that's going to play havoc with my allergies). Then we'll head towards Edgartown on a paved bike path for 5 miles. And finally along Beach Road finishing in Oak Bluffs. Where I will drink all the chocolate milk, and eat all the bagels before collapsing in the hotel hot tub.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear about it too. I want to put that on my list for next year.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,890 Member
    5/1 Run 4.36 Miles
    5/2 Run 6.02 Miles
    5/3 Run 7.54 Miles
    5/4 Run 8.03 Miles
    5/5 Run 2.02 Miles
    5/6 Run 13.38 Miles
    5/7 Run 11.18 Miles
    5/8 Run 10.67 Miles
    5/9 Run 10.21 Miles
    5/10 Run 6.79 Miles
    5/11 Run 13.59 Miles
    5/12 Run 15.32 Miles
    5/13 Run 10.21 Miles
    5/14 Run 2.01 Miles
    5/15 Run 10.28 Miles
    5/16 Run 13.39 Miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

I felt like I was doing a faster pace this morning. Was actually going slower. :D Sometimes running is funny.

Yeah I hate that. Sometimes I would like "UGH I am going so slow but cannot push any harder" and I am really flying and other times I am like "I am going so fast I better slow down" and my pace is really in the gutter.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    edited May 2018
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles
    5/4: 5.6 miles
    5/6: 12.5 miles
    5/8: 4.1 miles
    5/9: 4.1 miles
    5/10: 3.2 miles
    5/13: 8 miles
    5/15: 2.6 miles
    5/16: 2.6 miles

54.5/85 miles completed

Today's run was another short 2.6 miles. It was a really nice run and I hated to have to stop. I've been thinking that after I finish the HM on Saturday I will be dialing my mileage back some from the distances I was running during the training. But this taper has definitely shown me that I like to run close to 4 miles for a short run. I do like having time in the morning for both running and yoga before work, so I will probably just run as much as I can in about 45 minutes on my week day runs. And I like running 7-9 miles on my long runs. I wish I could find some 10k races in my area. So far I have not had an opportunity to run an official 10K. There are only 2 that I know of this year. One is the same day as my HM, and the other is in June, but it is still 75 miles away and that is really almost too far to get up in the morning and drive. The HM is 40 miles away and that is kind of pushing it. There is a night race 60 miles away on the Summer Solstice. But the distances are 5 mile, 3 hours or 6 hours. So I wouldn't really be getting an official 10k in if I did that one. I wish a 10k was an option. I might consider it if it was since it starts at 9 pm instead of 7 am. Oh well, I am really looking forward to the HM on Saturday. Who knows what I will do after that.

@BruinsGal_91 Good luck on your HM! And good luck on the 5K @greyparks206 !

@rheddmobile I'm glad you are back running. I hope that your leg continues to heal and doesn't give you too much more trouble.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    And good luck on the 5K @greyparks206

Thank you!

• PastorVincent
    lporter229 wrote: »

Today is not turning out to be a very good day. I started the day proving my husband's point that I should not be driving his truck by crashing it into a concrete pillar at the gas station this morning. I had no left overs from dinner last night, so much lunch is a sad compilation of things I was able to scrounge together from my fridge and pantry (i.e tuna fish, cottage cheese, tomatoes and canned beets). To top it all off, I have an orthodontist appointment this afternoon...ugh! If I am not able to squeeze a run in this evening, somebody might get hurt.

:( sorry to hear this! Hope the rest of your day turns out better!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles
    5/4: 5.6 miles
    5/6: 12.5 miles
    5/8: 4.1 miles
    5/9: 4.1 miles
    5/10: 3.2 miles
    5/13: 8 miles
    5/15: 2.6 miles
    5/16: 2.6 miles

54.5/85 miles completed

Today's run was another short 2.6 miles. It was a really nice run and I hated to have to stop. I've been thinking that after I finish the HM on Saturday I will be dialing my mileage back some from the distances I was running during the training. But this taper has definitely shown me that I like to run close to 4 miles for a short run. I do like having time in the morning for both running and yoga before work, so I will probably just run as much as I can in about 45 minutes on my week day runs. And I like running 7-9 miles on my long runs. I wish I could find some 10k races in my area. So far I have not had an opportunity to run an official 10K. There are only 2 that I know of this year. One is the same day as my HM, and the other is in June, but it is still 75 miles away and that is really almost too far to get up in the morning and drive. The HM is 40 miles away and that is kind of pushing it. There is a night race 60 miles away on the Summer Solstice. But the distances are 5 mile, 3 hours or 6 hours. So I wouldn't really be getting an official 10k in if I did that one. I wish a 10k was an option. I might consider it if it was since it starts at 9 pm instead of 7 am. Oh well, I am really looking forward to the HM on Saturday. Who knows what I will do after that.

@BruinsGal_91 Good luck on your HM! And good luck on the 5K @greyparks206 !

@rheddmobile I'm glad you are back running. I hope that your leg continues to heal and doesn't give you too much more trouble.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K

Cheers! and good luck to you too @kgirlhart - and to @greyparks206 and anyone else racing this weekend.

I think 10k is my favourite distance, and I'm lucky in that I have a few close by to choose from. I try to pick races that are no more than 25 miles from my home. Unless it's a half, and then I'm happy to travel a bit further.

2018 races completed
    1/21/18 Dreamfar 10k (age-group 5/23)
    2/10/18 Cupid's Chase 5k (age-group 4/24)
    3/10/18 Medway Shamrock Shuffle 5k (age-group 3/25)
    4/08/18 Holly Club Hustle 5k (4th overall, 2nd woman, 2nd in age group)
    5/13/18 Strivers Mothers' Day 5k (age-group 15/55)

2018 registered races
    5/19/18 Martha's Vineyard Half Marathon
    6/21/18 J P Morgan Corporate Challenge 3.5m
    8/18/18 Book it! Dedham Library 5k
    9/08/18 Louisa May Alcott Orchard House 10k
    9/29/18 Stride for Healthy Communities 5k
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    A very slow and steady four miles on the treadmill last night. I went on the treadmill because I knew if I went outside I would be tempted to either run fast or do more miles than I was planning. As it turned out, it was a good move because there was one heck of a thunderstorm going on. I got absolutely soaked to the skin just dashing through the parking lot after I'd finished my run.

A rest day today I think (I am supposed to be tapering after all). I'll probably do a couple of miles on Thursday, followed by a rest on Friday, and then it's my half on the Saturday. Woot!

My total for May so far is around 20 miles, which is lower than I was hoping for. I lost an entire week of training including a couple of long runs thanks to an injury. I may have to run/walk on Saturday, but I'll finish.

This is the Martha's Vineyard HM right? I can't wait to hear how you liked the course, area, etc. Good luck and hope you have fun!

Thank you! I love the Vineyard. We usually go for a week right after Labor Day. There aren't as many people around, but the weather is good and the restaurants and bars are still open. Looking forward to seeing it at this time of year.

The course starts near Oak Bluffs and the first 3 miles go through the Manuel Correllus State Forest (that's going to play havoc with my allergies). Then we'll head towards Edgartown on a paved bike path for 5 miles. And finally along Beach Road finishing in Oak Bluffs. Where I will drink all the chocolate milk, and eat all the bagels before collapsing in the hotel hot tub.

Sounds fantastic! I've never been to that part of the country....yet!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    @lporter229 I have been a member of StrengthRunning for a few years, and have followed Jason's strength exercises and dynamic warm-up off and on since joining. I have always been injury-prone since I started running, and thought that is just the way I'm built. I would always get some sort of injury every couple months. But for the last 6 months I have committed to doing the exercises and dynamic warm-ups religiously, and have been injury free during this whole time (knock on wood)! Call in coincidence, but that is really the only thing I have changed during that time. And my pace has definitely gotten faster as well.

Oh, and one question for you...is the truck ok? :# Just kidding (but not really). Being from Texas, trucks are like part of the family.
    Hope you day gets better!!!!
  • zerlinna87
    zerlinna87 Posts: 120 Member
    5/1- rest
    5/2- 2.1 mile walk with my dad
    5/3- 3.2 mile run, race the landing 5k
    5/4- strength training
    5/5- rest
    5/6- 1 mile run with my new Garmin!
    5/7- strength training
    5/8- 1.8 mile run and 45 minutes of spinning (whew, that was tough)
    5/9- 2.2 mile walk
    5/10- rest
    5/11- 1.25 mile walk plus strength training
    5/12- 2.7 mile walk
    5/13- rest
    5/14- rest
    5/15- strength training
    5/16- 2.85 miles walk/run

Total: 17/30
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    @Scott6255- Yes, I am fine, thanks for asking :) Oh wait, the truck? Yeah, the truck is going to survive. Nothing a little (or not so little) insurance claim can't fix. I think my fate is the bigger question LOL. I probably should stick to driving my Mini.

Glad to hear that you have had a positive experience with the dynamic warm-up. I have high hopes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    May I run from my problems?

Sometimes, but some problems can run faster than you. Same with trying to drown your problems... sometimes problems can swim.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 912 Member
    This mornings run did not happen. The cat woke me up at 2:30 am out of a deep sleep and that screwed me up and woke up at 4:30 for my run feeling like I was hung-over. I chose to sit in my recliner and sip coffee and nurse a headache...I get them when my sleep is off. Guess I am a bit of a princess LOL.

I still have this afternoons HIIT workout so that will keep the day from being a fail. I found an interesting article talking about core work for runners and that the standard core work (sit ups, planks, etc) is useless b/c running actually activates the muscles more than they do. They said the only thing that is worth your time is lifting heavy weights.

So the plan for the day seems set...somehow make it though the work day, eat all the Cheetos, exercise, food, sleep.
  • PastorVincent
    So taking the wife to a sports physical therapist I found nearby (UPMC actually). The list running as one of their specialties so hopefully that is a good sign. Something is way wrong with her gait. Her shoes are fairly new Brooks, but the very very outer edge is worn almost completely through and the rest of the show looks pretty new. She is getting knee pain too, which I think is also a symptom of a gait issue. :(

We will see.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    5/1 6miles
    5/2 9.92miles
    5/3 6miles
    5/4 12miles
    5/5 6miles
    5/6 rest
    5/7 6.5miles
    5/8 6miles
    5/9 7miles
    5/10 8miles
    5/11 5miles
    5/12 14.11miles!
    5/13 rest
    5/14 5.75miles
    5/15 6miles
    5/16 9.84miles

Man that was a hot run today. Took 40oz of water and drank it all. I felt so slow, but managed under 10min miles. It sure felt like I was going slow.

My legs feel pretty tired now, I almost want to take an extra rest day tomorrow...

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    SO Today I figured something out...

First, and Iced Skinny Latte is 120 calories (https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/iced-skinny-mocha)
    Second, it is about 1.25 miles round trip to walk to the coffee shop.

That is net zero calories! :D:D:D

Americano is 15 calories. :wink:

ETA. You are brave walking with coffee so early in the morning. I'd probably need to make sure there was at least one place with a public restroom!

it is 1 pm here... but would not make a difference for me. :)

I see. Coffee is a first thing in the morning thing for me. I always assume it's the same for everyone... :wink:
    SO Today I figured something out...

First, and Iced Skinny Latte is 120 calories (https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/iced-skinny-mocha)
    Second, it is about 1.25 miles round trip to walk to the coffee shop.

That is net zero calories! :D:D:D

Americano is 15 calories. :wink:

ETA. You are brave walking with coffee so early in the morning. I'd probably need to make sure there was at least one place with a public restroom!

it is 1 pm here... but would not make a difference for me. :)

I see. Coffee is a first thing in the morning thing for me. I always assume it's the same for everyone... :wink:

There is no time that is not good for coffee in my world. :lol:

No truer words could be spoken!