How to lose Freshman 20 this summer? Help!

Hi guys, I've had a pretty stressful first year of college and as a result put on slightly over 20 lbs from binging as stress. I went from being perfectly healthy to slightly overweight. I'm pretty concerned for my health and would also like advice on avoiding binges. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Put your stats and goals into MFP (choose a reasonable goal, if you just have 20 pounds to lose you aren't going to safely lose 2 pounds a week). Log accurately and consistently hit that calorie goal.

If the binges are an issue that keep you from hitting your calorie goal, then seeking professional help is probably the best bet. If you're talking about an eating disorder, that's the type of thing that it's hard to address all alone.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    So, loosing weight | loosing body fat is all about CICO (Calories In Calories Out). But, I am sure that you know that (but you might be surprised at all of the - and I am not judging using this word - crazy ideas that people have (thanks to People Magazine - and the like - in the grocery store check out aisles).

You can use an on-line TDEE Calculator to help you determine what you *should* be eating. And, *should* because those things are based on averages and statistics and and and and are not specific to you and your genetics and history. So, take a spin over to https://tdeecalculator.net and put in your details (gender, age, height, weight and activity) and it should spit some numbers out that are likely pretty close. You are forewarned that these numbers might be close but might not be. You would need to take a little bit of time and play with it. Generally, this will give you a good starting point.

Do you do any resistance training?

I remember my freshman year. Sleep was not an option back then.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    For lots of people, restricting too much can lead to more binging behavior. I second picking a reasonable calorie goal (losing around 1 pound per week or less since you're barely overweight?) and also suggest not trying to cut out specific foods if you binge on foods you perceive to be "bad" for you. Many universities have counselors and support groups that help with both stress-reduction and wellness (weight, disordered eating, etc.), usually free for students. I'd suggest checking them out early in your next semester. Sports and gym classes worked into your schedule can also help with stress reduction, so you might want to find something you enjoy!

I'd also be hesitant about putting a time limit on losing your 20 pounds (you don't have to have a miserable summer killing yourself to lose 20 pounds), but instead focus on how you will maintain what you do lose over the summer throughout your sophomore year - can you approach food halls and meal plans differently, can you work in treats and socializing, is alcohol/partying adding calories, are you getting enough sleep most nights? The stress you felt during your freshman year isn't going to disappear, and your classes will likely get more intense - building a plan to manage it will do a lot to keep you healthy!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Ah, I did not add anything regarding the second part of the question - avoid binging. I am not likely the right person to comment on this because I eat the same stuff day in, day out. All the time. That just works for me. Always has (as a 4yo it started....).

However, generally speaking, limiting anything make that "anything" more interesting. We want what we can not have.

And, lots of people have a 'funny' relationship with food. For me, food is simply fuel. I am fortunate there. Was not always that way....but is now. Food is often a reward or a punishment and that is - often - where issues begin. So, a healthy relationship with food (and, to be complete, the the scale) is super important. Not sure how to help you there specifically other than to state the obvious. What, for a lot, is not always so obvious.
  • Bellatrix1298
    Bellatrix1298 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for all the answers, I'm currently fasting for the month and will be breaking fast with green smoothies (spinach, mangos, pineapple, Apple) and will eat some form of protein. It's really tough trying to get in more sleep because of the intense workload, but I will definitely seek out support groups when I get back!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Thanks for all the answers, I'm currently fasting for the month and will be breaking fast with green smoothies (spinach, mangos, pineapple, Apple) and will eat some form of protein. It's really tough trying to get in more sleep because of the intense workload, but I will definitely seek out support groups when I get back!

Why did you choose fasting? For people already struggling with EDs or the potential to develop one, fasting can be dangerous. Even if you aren't in this group, fasting for a month is less likely to deliver the results you want than eating a variety of foods to meet your nutritional needs while at a reasonable calorie deficit.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I'm currently fasting for the month and will be breaking fast with green smoothies (spinach, mangos, pineapple, Apple) and will eat some form of protein.
    You're what for the what now? You say you're stressed and binge eating and you think not eating at all is the answer? There is a middle road you know.....

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Ramadan?
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Ramadan?

wouldn't that be from sun up to sun down? not just not eating at all?