May 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    CMorning99 wrote: »

I still have this afternoons HIIT workout so that will keep the day from being a fail. I found an interesting article talking about core work for runners and that the standard core work (sit ups, planks, etc) is useless b/c running actually activates the muscles more than they do. They said the only thing that is worth your time is lifting heavy weights.

lift heavy could be an option but i would hardly call planks and such useless. yes, they may not activate as much as when running but you are still building muscle whether you do it after a good run or on a "rest" day. i guess it depends on your goals
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    So taking the wife to a sports physical therapist I found nearby (UPMC actually). The list running as one of their specialties so hopefully that is a good sign. Something is way wrong with her gait. Her shoes are fairly new Brooks, but the very very outer edge is worn almost completely through and the rest of the show looks pretty new. She is getting knee pain too, which I think is also a symptom of a gait issue. :(

We will see.

All my shoes look like that too (just so happens I run in Brooks, but that in and of itself is not the issue). I underpronate and have high arches. This is one cause of the abnormal wearing on the outside of the shoe, but also can be caused by a number of bio-mechanics including flexibility imbalances, rigid joints, etc.. I have improved my imbalances with focused balance exercises and strength training.
    Getting a gait analysis by a physical therapist specializing in running is a great idea. Wishing I did that years ago.
    Hope they find the cause!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    CMorning99 wrote: »

I still have this afternoons HIIT workout so that will keep the day from being a fail. I found an interesting article talking about core work for runners and that the standard core work (sit ups, planks, etc) is useless b/c running actually activates the muscles more than they do. They said the only thing that is worth your time is lifting heavy weights.

lift heavy could be an option but i would hardly call planks and such useless. yes, they may not activate as much as when running but you are still building muscle whether you do it after a good run or on a "rest" day. i guess it depends on your goals

Don't forget the advantage that, by doing the standard core work, it forces you to engage muscles that may not fire during a run. Its a good way to head off/ address muscle imbalances. Definitely do what works, weights or core or both!

ET correct grammar
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    1.1miles followed by 4 on the cruiser would have done more but my legs were killing me. I’ve never actually noticed how not flat this area is until I was on the bike.
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    @shanaber Nothing cutier than a wore out Hobbs!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    05/01/18 - 1/2 mile walk
    05/02/18 - 1 mile walk + 6.6 mile easy run
    05/03/18 - 1.3 mile walk
    05/04/18 - Rest
    05/05/18 - Steel Challange 5k
    05/06/18 - MARATHON PR! 3:51:53
    05/07/18 - Rest
    05/08/18 - 6 miles @ 9:28
    05/09/18 - 8 miles @ 9:09
    05/10/18 - Rest
    05/11/18 - 6 miles @ 9:28
    05/12/18 - 31 miles - FIRST ULTRA MARATHON TRAIL RACE! W00T!
    05/13/18 - Rest
    05/14/18 - 6.25 miles @ 9:40 - with 97% humidity
    05/15/18 - 6.43 miles @ 9:17
    05/16/18 - 7 miles @ 9:53

06/02/18 - South Fayette Glow Run - Nighttime 1 mile and 5k race
    07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Not at all ready for this humidity and heat. Ugh.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited May 2018
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber Nothing cutier than a wore out Hobbs!

Truth! That is one cute pup!

ETA: Didn't run today--ran around for family errands instead. It's supposed to rain here the rest of the week, too. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and decide on a health club so I can grab a treadmill. Or risk melting, which is maybe better.
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Soccer practice this evening so ran the trails during practice. The way out went fast, but as soon as I made the turn back I could feel it. There must have been a breeze on my back on the way out as soon I was hot and the pace started to suffer. I slowed down to reduce the effort level. When I got to 4.5 I started to walk, but that felt hard and I wanted water so started again until I got to 5. Was glad that we left our dog at home as it would have been tough on her. It was 82 F, which nice without the humidity just not used to that temperature yet.

5/1 - 0
    5/2 - 0
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 0
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 4 miles/ 4 walk
    5/7 - 2.65 walk
    5/8 - 4 miles
    5/9 - 4 walk
    5/10 - 4 miles
    5/11 - 0
    5/12 - 0
    5/13 - 5.5 miles
    5/14 - 3 miles
    5/15 - 1 walk
    5/16 - 5 miles

Total 33.5 miles run/70.5 goal
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    May I run from my problems?

Depends on what the problems are. Running to get away from stress works pretty well, but you can't out-run your fork.
  • Elise4270
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    May I run from my problems?

Depends on what the problems are. Running to get away from stress works pretty well, but you can't out-run your fork.

Now ain't that the sad truth.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Orphia hip tightness for me means I don't have the range of motion that I would normally have. It pulls or pinches when you try to extend your legs back in a full stride, thus shortening your stride. You don't feel fluid, and you have to compensate by increasing cadence, or just run slower.
    Leg tightness for me feels like someone is squeezing my calfs, quads, and/or hamstrings, which again causes a lack of range of motion and also pain with each stride.
    Others may have other definitions, but that's what hip and leg tightness means to me.

Ah, now I understand! Thanks, @Scott6255 !
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    @polskagirl01 That is such a sweet story! Thank you for sharing.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

exercise.png

Quick 2.8 km today. It felt good, but I didn't really feel like going any further, so I guess it was just about right. Some of my toes hurt, as they haven't been in those shoes since Sunday. It's not too bad, though. We've got a tennis court reserved for tonight (although we may get rained out), but I'll just wear my other shoes.

Alright, STORY TIME!!!
    Have I told you all about this lady? (For the record, that's me in the background, light-blue visor and looking like a dork with a veggie-juice drink I took from my kids' stash. This was at the very start of the race.)
    fb9rdfovm1ol.png

We met last year at the start line of my first marathon. She was wearing a rabbit hat that one of the pacers had given her the night before at the pasta party. I overheard her telling the slowest pace group their goal was too fast for her, so I asked her if she might be aiming for the same time as me, about 30 minutes under the cut-off. She was worried about the hilly course and said she just wanted to finish in the time limit. But as we got a few miles into the race, we found ourselves together, close to the back of the race, and she started a conversation with me. When the 10k runners split off, we were at the very back - as in literally holding up the ambulance (until it stopped and went back - apparently some marathoners had turned with the 10k and were actually behind us). We ran pretty much the whole race together, slow and steady. She was a wealth of advice about running marathons, and finally I asked her how many she had done. Her answer started with, "well, it depends on how you could the ultras". She started running 9 years earlier at age 60, and was somewhere around 170 marathons - closer to 200 if you count the marathons inside the ultras separately. I was sure I had heard her wrong, and couldn't figure out the math on how that was even possible. Her brain was doing math wonderfully, though. At every kilometer marker, she would pull up the wristband covering her watch (you know, the kind with hands, that only tells you what time it is) and would announce the pace we would need to maintain to finish in the time limit. Except that, as I later realized, she wasn't pacing for a finish "just under the time limit"; she was pacing at about 30 minutes faster. We would occasionally take turns going ahead of and catching back up to each other, and were starting to pass a few people, but at some point in the last third of the race I had the thought that I NEEDED to stay with her. Somewhere in my head I thought if I let her get away from me, I might not finish. She would take walk breaks, but her walk was so fast I had to still run to keep up with her. I stayed with her, until about 4 km from the end, when I started to get a second wind. She was slowing at that point and looked really tired. As I was pulling away from her, I kept looking back, wondering if I should wait for her, but instead she started cheering me on, yelling for me to "Run! Go!"... I heard her cheering for me until I was out of earshot. I finished 5 minutes under my goal, which was in no way an impressive marathon time, but I had finished and I was thrilled. Then I waited to cheer for her when she came in a few minutes later and we got some pictures together. She won her age group, as there was only one other woman her age running.

Later I looked up her profile on a running portal and sure enough, she really does run marathons all the time. She had done some faster times, but her usual time was slower than our finish. I don't know for sure, but I suspect she sped up just to help me reach my goal.

So this past Sunday she came in to our city by train in the morning, having run a half marathon somewhere else the day before. Her arm was in a sling, because of a fall she had taken while walking on ice. She has aged up and was the only woman in the 70+ age group, and finished close to the cut-off time. I had left before she finished, so never got to connect with her after the race, but when I looked at the results, I see that she passed the halfway point with a young girl (18-29 age group) who ended up finishing just a minute or two ahead of her. Again, I don't know for sure, but I imagine she was encouraging that girl the whole way, just as she had done for me last year.

AWESOME! You need to tell this story to Runner's World, or one of the other mags!