What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    - Where in nature is a bread tree?
    - Where in nature does Coca-Cola run like a river?
    - Where in nature can man hunt gummy bears?

This location you're describing sounds ideal. A bread tree would be heavenly.

Mmm... "extremely processed" bread...

I'd like to find that Coca Cola river too....as long as it's Diet Coke Zero Sugar.

FTFY

Oooh no! Not a Diet Coke v. Cake Zero Sugar debate! The forums can only handle so much. Won't somebody please think of the children?!

There is CAKE Zero Sugar in this nirvana?!? I am so in!!! :p

A Freudian slip if I ever saw one! There would definitely be zero *calorie* cake in paradise, i.e. bread tree place.

Who cares about calories when there is a land where youth and beauty are eternal

"The houses were made of barley sugar and cakes, the streets were paved with pastry, and the shops supplied goods for nothing. Roasted pigs wander about with knives in their backs to make carving easy, where grilled geese fly directly into one's mouth, where cooked fish jump out of the water and land at one's feet. The weather is always mild, the wine flows freely, sex is readily available, and all people enjoy eternal youth."
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    "If you fail to plan, then plan to fail". for me that means looking at the protein, fat and carbs and how it fits into my day. And looking at that before you eat, not afterwards.

Another one is "eat when I'm hungry". I try to only eat when hungry, not when the clock or co-workers says it's time eat.
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member

I wish I had a bread tree in my yard....
  • SaunaSuit
    SaunaSuit Posts: 96 Member
    AnvilHead

That was so funny~ Walmart sells it in packages in the meat department they shoved that lamb and American bison in a grinder and put a price tag on it $6.94 I will enjoy a change~
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited May 2018
    Practicing yoga.
    Yoga is by far the best way to reduce the fat deposits in your body. No, matter which body part you are targeting at, yoga has something for everyone. Be it your face, shoulders, thighs, arms or hips, you won’t be disappointed. The most amazing thing about yoga is that unlike gym, it doesn’t make you feel exhausted. https://goo.gl/1f7TNe

Yoga is none of those things

Yoga is wonderful: it is helpful for stress, especially when led with a focus on breathe and mindfulness. It is one of the few exercises that incorporates the benefits of flexibility, strength and cardio all together. You can definitely find a style that challenges you physically, which is what I assume is meant by exhausted.

Yoga is not some miracle that will allow you to target specific fat deposits.

Hi quiksylver296,
    I am not telling that yoga is miracle to lose weight. In fact, i believe that there is no magic pills or remedies to get instant weight loss. According to a scientific source yoga is helpful in weight loss. the article was entitled "Yoga Practice for Reducing the Male Obesity and Weight Related Psychological Difficulties-A Randomized Controlled Trial" at NCBI. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5198375/
    Ii is well authenticated source.

If you continue to exceed your calorie needs, yoga will not magically help you lose weight. And that wasn't my quote, it was @concordancia's.

From the article you cited: "Yoga practice reduces the stress level which may improve the eating habits and help in weight reduction."

Guess which part of that quote leads to the weight reduction.
    Yeah. The improved eating habits.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited May 2018
    In an attempt to avoid (completely) derailing this thread, I will contribute. The best advice I've received is, "find something that you can do for the rest of your life."

Diet advice - absolutely.

Fitness - this can be a little tougher. I thought it was going to be running until I started pulling up lame at increasingly short distances and I ended up having knee surgery with the warning that I would be back if I continued running. Now I am hoping it is SUP and walking, even though I have also had shoulder surgery. With good technique, paddling doesn't have to be hard on shoulders.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Practicing yoga.
    Yoga is by far the best way to reduce the fat deposits in your body. No, matter which body part you are targeting at, yoga has something for everyone. Be it your face, shoulders, thighs, arms or hips, you won’t be disappointed. The most amazing thing about yoga is that unlike gym, it doesn’t make you feel exhausted. https://goo.gl/1f7TNe

Yoga is none of those things

Yoga is wonderful: it is helpful for stress, especially when led with a focus on breathe and mindfulness. It is one of the few exercises that incorporates the benefits of flexibility, strength and cardio all together. You can definitely find a style that challenges you physically, which is what I assume is meant by exhausted.

Yoga is not some miracle that will allow you to target specific fat deposits.

Hi quiksylver296,
    I am not telling that yoga is miracle to lose weight. In fact, i believe that there is no magic pills or remedies to get instant weight loss. According to a scientific source yoga is helpful in weight loss. the article was entitled "Yoga Practice for Reducing the Male Obesity and Weight Related Psychological Difficulties-A Randomized Controlled Trial" at NCBI. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5198375/
    Ii is well authenticated source.

If you continue to exceed your calorie needs, yoga will not magically help you lose weight. And that wasn't my quote, it was @concordancia's.

From the article you cited: "Yoga practice reduces the stress level which may improve the eating habits and help in weight reduction."

Guess which part of that quote leads to the weight reduction.
    Yeah. The improved eating habits.

I think there might also be some benefit in a general sense because in a lot of yoga practices they do encourage people to care more about themselves. Anything that encourages you to practice more self care is going to lead to you at least thinking about and hopefully practicing some healthy habits to reduce weight and get more fit if you are deficient in either area. Whether it's chanchurmantra or getting concerned about aging too quickly when approaching a milestone (yeah, that's me) or whatever. if it makes you think about your health and has some likelihood of getting you to make some adjustments if necessary, it's not a bad thing IMO.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

I'm not above eating the "extremely processed" Subway bread occasionally, but I would prefer the "minimally processed" homemade type (which I pick fresh off of my bread tree when it is in season).

Homemade bread recipe: 3 C All purpose unbleached flour, 1 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1 1/2 C water

Subway bread ingredients: Enriched unbleached wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, ascorbic acid added as a dough conditioner, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, soybean oil, contains less than 2% of the following: nonfat dry milk, wheat gluten, salt, sugar, calcium carbonate, distilled vinegar, dough conditioner (enzymes, oat fiber, ascorbic acid, calcium sulfate, salt), cultured wheat flour, baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), flavor (sea salt, sugar, yeast extract), vitamin D2.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Rest days pay big dividends. Listen to your body and give it what it needs for optimal performance.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited May 2018
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    AKDiscer wrote: »
    Here is one of my favorites of all time

ysps4k4kjg9h.jpg

<3<3<3

Correction.. the best advice to remember!!! Ill b using it! ;)
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    edited July 2018
    crazyravr wrote: »
    EVERYTHING is moderation.

This goes for exercise, food and life in general.

Anf if you do everything in moderation you can even do moderation in moderation!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    @CarvedTones i think it is you i will paraphrase. Motivation is fleeting, it takes discipline
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    "Focus on health, not weight loss." My quote to myself. It's helped me!
  • xfc1
    xfc1 Posts: 69 Member
    "you don't need to give a reason why you want to lose weight".
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    "Feet to the floor, just gotta do it." Every morning when I wake up and don't want to get out of bed. That's the phrase that goes through my head and gets me moving. No option - just gotta do it. The other one that gets me to the gym or my class no matter how I am feeling that day is, "Just get yourself there. Because once you're there, you're there." And then that is usually followed up by, "Well you're here, you might as well do something to get better today."
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Mine is 'no-one said on their deathbed "I wish I ate another pie"'.