5/1-5 miles (3 @ tempo)
    5/2-P90X3 Isometrix+1.3 miles with Stella
    5/3-4.3 easy miles
    5/4-Rest Day
    5/5-2 miles easy with Stella
    5/6-26.4 miles (per Garmin) Flying Pig marathon
    5/7-Rest Day
    5/8-Rest Day (lots of walking)
    5/9-Rest Day (lots of walking and gardening)
    5/10-3.5 slow and easy
    5/11-5.2 slow and easy
    5/12-Rest/Travel day
    5/13-Rest/Travel day
    5/14-1.4 miles with Stella + body weight exercises
    5/15-5.1 miles+ dynamic stretching 35 minutes
    5/16-4.4 miles (including 1.1 with Stella)

58.6/90
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Today I was reminded yet again that when you live in a beautiful place with terrible weather, just checking the temperature isn't enough. Long legs and sleeves might be okay in a dry 60 degrees with a breeze, but not when it's sunny and 70% humidity. I've been thinking I'd retire the long pants for the season anyhow, and it actually wasn't too bad carrying my shirt the last few blocks, although I feel like a total noob when I have to do that.

5/1 - Tu - 0:27:21 - 2.41 miles
    5/2 - We
    5/3 - Th
    5/4 - Fr
    5/5 - Sa - 0:22:19 - 1.95
    5/6 - Su - 0:34:51 - 3.01
    5/7 - Mo
    5/8 - Tu - 0:24:56 - 2.2
    5/9 - We
    5/10 - Th - 0:28:25 - 2.48
    5/11 - Fr
    5/12 - Sa - 0:55:58 - 4.8
    5/13 - Su
    5/14 - Mo
    5/15 - Tu - 0:28:17 - 2.46
    5/16 - We
    5/17 - Th - 0:26:54 - 2.45

May total: 21.76 miles
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    stupid peroneal tendontis
    my legs are heavy.

5/1-0mi
    5/2-0mi
    5/3-0mi
    5/4-0mi (but we hiked 4+mi)
    5/5-13.13 mi
    5/6-1.78 mi (5+mi hike+porcupine)
    5/7-0mi
    5/8-0mi
    5/9-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/10-maybe get a few in tonight, getting itchy. outer ankles still hurt
    5/11-stupid ankle
    5/12-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/13-1.9mi rough run.
    5/14-nope-lawn mowed
    5/15-3.06 mi
    5/16-1.2mi (2 hours aerial yoga)
    5/17- (1 hour aerial yoga)

exercise.png

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Skimming through all y’alls awesome updates I was reminded of a new runner question that’s been bouncing around in my head: understanding that goals are probably going to make a big difference here, how do you determine how long to run each day? I get the idea that people who run longer distances tend to schedule at least one rest day and only one long run a week, and I get the basic idea of adding mileage gradually by week with regular down weeks. I’m just curious how much planning goes into deciding to run 4 miles one day and 2.5 the next. How do you figure out what a reasonable short run is compared to a long run? Do many of you follow prescribed programs, or wing it, or somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance, all!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited May 2018
    @MegaMooseEsq I use Hal Higdon's plans. If you're training for a race, there's all sorts of distances and levels. If you're at the 5k range already for a "daily run" length, then maybe look at a 10k plan to help you figure out how much to run each day. If you're still working toward the 5k distance, then use one of those plans. I'd imagine even if you're not looking to race, this will still give you an idea of how much and how long for how many days to run.

ETA: I've used the 10k Novice, 10k Intermediate, HM Novice 1, and HM Novice 2 (currently) all with excellent results.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    Skimming through all y’alls awesome updates I was reminded of a new runner question that’s been bouncing around in my head: understanding that goals are probably going to make a big difference here, how do you determine how long to run each day? I get the idea that people who run longer distances tend to schedule at least one rest day and only one long run a week, and I get the basic idea of adding mileage gradually by week with regular down weeks. I’m just curious how much planning goes into deciding to run 4 miles one day and 2.5 the next. How do you figure out what a reasonable short run is compared to a long run? Do many of you follow prescribed programs, or wing it, or somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance, all!

I also started off with a structured plan, Jeff Galloway (time rather than distance). Then just got where I ran more by feel. I like doing long runs on the weekend so I adjusted my mileage/time based on my ability to be ready for the long weekend distance.

I still scheduled my run, bike, and swim time based off feel. I'd like to do an hour a day, but realistically I can tolerate every other day, or every two days depending on how hard I've pushed. 3-4 days a week is optimal, so I'd shoot for that as a start even if it's a mile a day. (BTW I started off with trying to run half a mile a day. And that proved to be too much :wink: ) do what's possible.

ETA here's a link to Galloway's 5,10k plan. Maybe seeing it will help visualize a training plan.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k-10k-training/
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @MegaMooseEsq right now i'm using a lose idea of a plan from other plans i worked.
    speed work(sprints or build ups) on days i teach aerial yoga-just about a mile, long run on saturday or sunday, and midruns with hills or fartleks when i just work regular days. i usually have one full rest day-typically monday- and active recovery on days i don't run with longer walks or hikes or day ventures.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

Thanks in advance, all!

Good question. When I am training for a specific race, I follow a plan, usually based on a published plan that I modify to fit my own needs and goals. Of course, I am flexible with my plan and usually end up swapping things around as needed.

Right now, having just finished my last marathon on May 6th, I will spend the rest of the month just doing whatever I feel. I always do this for 2-3 weeks following a marathon to erase any signs of burnout that might be building. Then I try and get myself back into a regular kind of rhythm. For example, starting in June, I will stick to running 5 days per week with a total mileage goal of around 30-35 miles per week. This keeps me in "half-marathon shape" year round, meaning I feel prepared to go out and run/race a half marathon at any time. My week is usually structured something like: M-off, T-shorter and faster (speedwork), W-easy (whatever my body feels like doing) Th- medium length run, F-off, Sat-longest run (10-14 miles) Sunday-Funday runday-anything goes. Again, all of this is subject to other things I may have going on in my life, so it's somewhat structured but not really. A lot of times it depends on my schedule and where I feel like running that day. I mostly focus on hitting my weekly mileage goal.

• abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    A quick 4.4mi before picking up my packet for my 10K. I must say, the goodie bag was definitely a plus to signing up for this one plus it’s part of a series. This is only my 4th goodie bag but the first ones were just coupons and flyers. Opened up my bag and was super stocked to see a seatbelt belt, cuz 1. I need another belt and 2. Those belts are legit...totally awesome. Lol. I’ve also never gotten any gift cards which is totally awesome as well cuz who doesn’t love a gift card....for food. Lol.
    Of course I was totally bummed when I saw one of the flyers...it’s for a summer series which started on the 5th and if you run all three you get a fourth medal that fits all together showing a shark. Ima have to stay up to date with that series so I don’t miss out on the next one.
    exercise.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Took nearly two weeks off to heal a knee. Feeling a little better today during a combined elliptical/treadmill workout (30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 15 on the treadmill). It hardly hurts at all when I jog. Going up and down stairs is the problem.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for May

5/1 8 miles - 8
    5/2 REST DAY
    5/3 8 miles - 16
    5/4 REST DAY
    5/5 11 miles - 27
    5/6 REST DAY
    5/7 REST DAY
    5/8 8 miles - 35
    5/9 3.1 miles - 38.1
    5/10 8 miles - 46.1
    5/11 REST DAY
    5/12 10 miles - 56.1
    5/13 REST DAY
    5/14 REST DAY
    5/15 8 miles - 64.1
    5/16 REST DAY
    5/17 8 miles - 72.1

Races this year
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18 -- 1:47:24

Upcoming races:
    None at the moment

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

Thanks in advance, all!

With regards to long runs, the basic accepted rule is that your long run should fall somewhere between 25%-35% of your total weekly mileage.

As far as what you do the rest of the week depends on your goals, your current fitness level, and what "quality" workouts you may be adding in. When you do a run, you want to be able to make sure you don't overdo it so that when you do your next scheduled quality day, you are recovered enough to do what you set out to do. If you did too much on Monday (for example) to the point where you can't do your scheduled 4 mile tempo run plus 2 miles at E pace on Wednesday, then you know that in the future, you need to cut back on Monday with whatever you did.

Hopefully this made some sense.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 912 Member
    This morning was supposed to be 10x400's for a total of 7 miles. I cut it short...like a toddler cutting her own hair short. Ended up being 7x400s for a total of 4.5 miles. I just ran out of time ...I need to start my runs at 4:45am if I am going to get them done. No idea what will do when I move out of 5K training distances...guess I will just have to get wicked fast :smiley: Was a bit conservative on my pacing, went for 8:20 ...probably could have gone faster, maybe...maybe not if I had done all 10.

Headed to the mountains tomorrow near Mammoth. Get to run in the footsteps of some greats! Hopefully I don't run into one b/c I would die of awe! LOL. Checked the weather, mornings are in the 60s with 17% humidity...ahhhh. Right now I am at around 72 with 80% humidity.

Should get some good training in the next 2 weeks.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    @MegaMooseEsq I need to be following a plan or I find it too easy to lapse into my natural slothful and sedentary ways. It's also why I've always got an upcoming race on my calendar. Currently I'm loosely following the Hal Higdon intermediate 15K plan. In reality my skill level is kind of halfway between novice and intermediate so I modify a bit. This plan ends 2 weeks before the 15K race currently on my calendar.

Once this plan is done I'm not sure what I'll do next. I'm considering upping my August race to a half marathon; if I do, I'll slide in to the HH Novice 2 plan most likely. I will pull that trigger within the next week.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @MegaMooseEsq Like most of the other runners that have replied my decision on distance is based on my experience with previous Training plans, what & when my next event is and a big one for me how I am feeling after I get through my 3 km wall - it seems to take me that long to get into a flow/rhythm before the run starts to feel easy. So 5 km events are not good for me as I just barely start to feel positive and it's over. Right now I am on cycle for a Trail HM in the mountains so a completely differant plan than a road HM or a Flat land Trail HM. I have enough experience now that if my plan gets destroyed by work/life I don't let it bother me as I try to keep myself HM ready all the time so a little miss in training is no big deal. Also when I started I used Hal Higdon plans and modified them to fit my schedule by moving days around.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    You know, I *retired* because work was going to mess with my time to train for Boston 2017 . . .
    @MobyCarp I'd love to retire to train but I have a few more years (17ish years).
    @RunsOnEspresso Mine is about 5 years and counting down, although technically I already retired once.
    A previous employer - telecom company - was offering early retirement packages ( service payout and bridging up pension service ) in 2010 and my financial advisor said if I could find a alternate job to keep me from immediately drawing on my company pension until 2022 I should pull the rip cord on the parachute and get out of dodge.
    So that's what I did. Now I work for a Government agency in Telecom-Security in what they consider a "Northern Service posting" which entitles me to a little extra pay/vacation/benefits etc and in 2023 with 13 years service will qualify for an un-reduced pension due to the extra's from the Northern Service and my pre-employment negotiating. This will give me 2 full pensions. Before I started it was vacant for 3 years and they were shipping people in from all over on work terms to temporarily fill it hoping one of the temp assignment people would jump at it.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Didn't count my warm up/cool down today, Mapmyrun says 3.6km. MTD 33km & I should be able to make my goal for this month.