Narcissistic or not?

Replies

• NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    I have never understood why it's okay to brag about just about anything except the progress you make with your body (after a certain point. You can get away with posting "I lost 20 pounds!" as long as you are still visibly overweight.) People post pictures of their kids, their houses, their cars, graduation photos, new baby, etc., but if you are proud of what you did in the gym, you are a narcissist. Drives me crazy. And it doesn't just apply to flexing in front of the mirror poses. I've had friends get all bent out of shape when I posted a picture of a new pole or silks move I was proud to have finally achieved.
    I have never understood why it's okay to brag about just about anything except the progress you make with your body (after a certain point. You can get away with posting "I lost 20 pounds!" as long as you are still visibly overweight.) People post pictures of their kids, their houses, their cars, graduation photos, new baby, etc., but if you are proud of what you did in the gym, you are a narcissist. Drives me crazy. And it doesn't just apply to flexing in front of the mirror poses. I've had friends get all bent out of shape when I posted a picture of a new pole or silks move I was proud to have finally achieved.

Exactly! I have 25 total Instagram photos and only 2 are of my physique. The rest are pictures with friends and family. Even with that I still get backlash hahah. I used to try and explain why I’m proud and justify it to people. Now I just let people talk as much as they want. I can’t change how they feel, and I don’t plan on changing what I post to appease others.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    There's little point in posting photos of the same Ferrari over and over. It's not as though the car is going to get more beautiful with time. Not to mention that it's basically a vapid status symbol.

Human beings can and do make progress with their bodies, though. Not to mention that improving one's body is beneficial both socially and for functional performance.
    Is it actually a benefit socially?
    Ask a formerly obese person if his or her social life has improved after losing weight. There are plenty of social benefits to getting fit.
    Functionally? maybe but that's very dependent on what one's functional wants and needs are. I mean he's presumably not actually showing pictures of himself doing things other than standing. No pictures running, biking, climbing, not doing something functional that clearly takes a fair amount of strength and/or flexibility. Standing.
    Getting fit WILL improve your functional fitness, regardless of which photos you post. Even if you don't specifically focus on functional fitness, though that would be ideal.

Remember, all I said is that improving one's body DOES improve functional performance. I said nothing about whether one's photos should demonstrate this specifically.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    There's little point in posting photos of the same Ferrari over and over. It's not as though the car is going to get more beautiful with time. Not to mention that it's basically a vapid status symbol.

Human beings can and do make progress with their bodies, though. Not to mention that improving one's body is beneficial both socially and for functional performance.

How much noticeable progress do you think a lifter makes in a day or even a week? The reason we take progress pics and compare them months apart is that it becomes impossible to see a day to day difference. So, just like that Ferrari - posting dozens of updates every week has the same effect as that guy posting pics of his car over and over... it's not like there has been significant change. ;)

Did I say that one should post photos daily, or even weekly? I did not.

Moreover, one can post photos that demonstrate different aspects of improvement. A better deadlift one day, perhaps. The emphasizing fat loss on another day. I don't do that sort of thing, but I won't be begrudge people who do.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »

Exactly! I have 25 total Instagram photos and only 2 are of my physique. The rest are pictures with friends and family. Even with that I still get backlash hahah. I used to try and explain why I’m proud and justify it to people. Now I just let people talk as much as they want. I can’t change how they feel, and I don’t plan on changing what I post to appease others.

Ah, ok... this is a bit different. 2 out of 25 pics isn't going overboard at all... for some reason I had visions of daily updates and new poses - flashy new yoga pants (lol) and the quest to find the optimal angle and lighting. If people are freaking out over two pics it's not you - it's them.
  • NerdyFlex
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Exactly this, a well built physique isn’t the same as a material possession. It reflects hard work and dedication and even mental determination. It could be worse, I could be posting duck face selfies... lol. Completely a joke, if you like duck face selfies, I apologize haha

And earning/saving the money to afford a Ferrari (assuming not a trust fund baby) doesn't take hard work, dedication, determination?

Careful there my young egotistian...

It’s definitely not the same as earning a sculpted physique. Having to eat clean and train weekly is one of the toughest things I have to do. Saving money is tough for sure, however I really don’t see a comparison between the two. Having a nice car and having a nice body are completely different

*sigh*

You're 17 and in college, right? I'm 41 with a job, family, home, car, etc etc.

Our experiences/perspectives might be a bit different on this one.

I’m 21 so yeah maybe I’m just young and dumb. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and concede that maybe my youth makes me bliss.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    I think it all comes down to a follower's personal preference on what they're going to think. I, for one, love seeing my friends happy with whatever they are doing in life. Posting occasional pictures of their progress would not make me think they are being narcissistic, but proud.

On the other hand, if a friend was posting, "look at my 6-pack in this lighting... now this lighting," every 5 minutes, it might start to grate on me. Humble progress is great, bragging progress is not.

This is all based on my personal opinion though. I once read, "You can not control other people. You can only control your reactions to them." If you enjoy posting progress pictures - post! Ignore the negativity, but also accept you may lose some "followers" who feel that way.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

Exactly this, a well built physique isn’t the same as a material possession. It reflects hard work and dedication and even mental determination. It could be worse, I could be posting duck face selfies... lol. Completely a joke, if you like duck face selfies, I apologize haha

And earning/saving the money to afford a Ferrari (assuming not a trust fund baby) doesn't take hard work, dedication, determination?

It’s definitely not the same as earning a sculpted physique. Having to eat clean and train weekly is one of the toughest things I have to do. Saving money is tough for sure, however I really don’t see a comparison between the two. Having a nice car and having a nice body are completely different

*sigh*

You're 17 and in college, right? I'm 41 with a job, family, home, car, etc etc.

Our experiences/perspectives might be a bit different on this one.

I’m 21 so yeah maybe I’m just young and dumb. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and concede that maybe my youth makes me bliss.

I'm 47 and my advanced age has made me.... old and cranky mostly - at least according to my wife. ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    idk, i've posted new aerial hammock and lyra, and dog photos, and garmin photos, and nature stuff on instagram and i've not had a negative response. a few people have called out friends because they can't see mats under their aerial hammock photos but otherwise, i've had a very positive experience

edit: and OP, so long as you don't seem like an arrogant turd while posting re: the caption, then i think it's great to see how people are improving themselves
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    If I had bangin' muscles, I would most certainly post about them. :D
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    I could not care less about what people post, i don't even have a facebook/instagram profile, but when they hog a machine at the gym, taking pics in front of the mirror... That really pi$$es me off.
    F'n Instagram made me start going to the gym at 5 am.
  • Debgreasby2018
    Debgreasby2018 Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2018
    I rarely used Instagram till I started my weight loss/gym journey a month ago. Now I like to post pictures mainly for myself. Only face shots for now coz the bod need hella more work yet.
    If people don’t like it, tough. It’s my instagram and I’ll post what I want!
  • NerdyFlex
    edited May 2018
    kimny72 wrote: »

See, I don't think posting physique photos is narcissistic, but this statement kind of is :lol: The work I do is hard, and the work other people do isn't.

I can guarantee you there are plenty of folks out there working 2 jobs/80 hrs a week while taking care of a family who finally reach some form of financial independence and get to buy their dream car, who would find eating clean and training a walk in the park. There are lots of things people work their *kittens* off to get. I don't think you'll get much support for the idea that a ripped physique is the toughest.

And please don't take this as snarky, I just think sometimes you need to think about how something looks or sounds to other people. The folks who criticize you posting your pictures probably think you spending all that time to make yourself look better isn't nearly as important/hard as whatever they are working for. :wink:

You’re right, I was wrong to make that comment.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

See, I don't think posting physique photos is narcissistic, but this statement kind of is :lol: The work I do is hard, and the work other people do isn't.

I can guarantee you there are plenty of folks out there working 2 jobs/80 hrs a week while taking care of a family who finally reach some form of financial independence and get to buy their dream car, who would find eating clean and training a walk in the park. There are lots of things people work their *kittens* off to get. I don't think you'll get much support for the idea that a ripped physique is the toughest.

And please don't take this as snarky, I just think sometimes you need to think about how something looks or sounds to other people. The folks who criticize you posting your pictures probably think you spending all that time to make yourself look better isn't nearly as important/hard as whatever they are working for. :wink:

You’re right, I was wrong to make that comment.

It's no biggie, but maybe it can give you some insight on the people who don't like your physique posts. :drinker:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2018
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    I could not care less about what people post, i don't even have a facebook/instagram profile, but when they hog a machine at the gym, taking pics in front of the mirror... That really pi$$es me off.
    F'n Instagram made me start going to the gym at 5 am.
    Lol!! This made me laugh. I follow a girl I went to high school with on Instagram and she posts pictures and videos of herself at the gym every. Single. Day. Either of her actually working out or selfies In the locker room mirror. Except she goes at 5am too. (Kinda weird that I know about her gym habits but that’s what happens when you broadcast it on Instagram I guess) We are 29. I just feel that’s a little sad.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited May 2018
    aokoye wrote: »

Is it actually a benefit socially?
    Ask a formerly obese person if his or her social life has improved after losing weight. There are plenty of social benefits to getting fit.
    Functionally? maybe but that's very dependent on what one's functional wants and needs are. I mean he's presumably not actually showing pictures of himself doing things other than standing. No pictures running, biking, climbing, not doing something functional that clearly takes a fair amount of strength and/or flexibility. Standing.
    Getting fit WILL improve your functional fitness, regardless of which photos you post. Even if you don't specifically focus on functional fitness, though that would be ideal.

Remember, all I said is that improving one's body DOES improve functional performance. I said nothing about whether one's photos should demonstrate this specifically.

And you misrepresented what I said - I can't say I'm shocked. Note that I wrote, "Is it actually a benefit socially? I would argue that that while it might be for one segment of people, it isn't for a very large section. His weight and physique are presumably not effecting his ability to be a social human." I will concede that I probably should have said, "his current weight based on the picture in his profile." Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of people in the world who don't care how muscular you look with your clothes off. Most people that you interact with on a daily basis really don't care, and why would they?

I can think of plenty of people for whom losing weight wouldn't actually improve their social lives. Plenty of other non-physical health related things would, but losing weight, not so much. Given the NIH's definition of what obese is I would include some of those people in that "losing weight isn't going to help you socially" category.

edit: In terms of functional fitness? What type of functional performance are you actually talking about? What may be useful for one thing may very well be counter productive for another. The opposite is true as well (hence for example, a number of crossover athletes from speed skating to cycling).