In need of advice

Im not really sure where to ask so here it is. Im about ten pounds away from my goal weight. Ive lost 40lbs already, but still have more i could lose easily. Ive done insanity one and a half times now and im just getting burnt out on the INTENSE cardio. My plan is to hit the gym 4 times a week with an upper/lower/cardio&abs rotation. My two questions are 1.)could this be as equally successful? 2.)would it be better to do this as a recomp or deficit? The goal would to be tone and get stronger but hopefully lose the other ten pounds or more.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if you want to lose weight and build (some) and maintain muscle you need to look into recomp.

you will not lose weight unless you eat in a deficit and to build muscle (a significant amount) you need to be in a surplus.

thats a highly simplified version of all of that, anyways.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You can get stronger doing any decent strength program. If you eat at a deficit, you will continue to lose weight. If you eat maintenance calories you will not. If your new workout routine burns less calories than your previous, you will have to eat less to compensate.

The type of exercise you do is immaterial to how much weight you lose other than the calories it burns. You can lose weight doing intense cardio, lifting heavy, just taking walks, or doing no exercise at all if you want. You just need to adjust your calories so you're in a deficit.

Congrats on your success so far!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2018
    hmm33502 wrote: »
    Look up Fit2Fat2Fit. Drew is a big proponent of Keto while muscle building. Obviously you need to follow a particular plan (higher protein, slightly lower fat) that is different from someone trying to lose 50 lbs. You still have to eat fewer calories than you expend if you want to lose weight. Contrary to popular belief, Keto is not an “eat all of the bacon that you want” diet. It is really good for cutting belly and visceral fat. But, like previous poster said, if you get off and start on a carb binge, you will gain like CRAZY! It isn’t for everyone, but it has a good track record with people who are looking for a lifestyle! Good luck!

I agree completely! It is not magic - per se. Funny thing - for me - is that I am in the 150g of Carbs range (one cup of brown rice and one large sweet potato - so, roughly 100g Carbs right there and then another 25g - 50g from other sources) and I have gained 11 pounds. And, still eating the same amount of calories. Maybe a little bit more....and I am not a rookie to calorie counting (been doing it for two years....so, the learning curve is *mostly* behind me at this point).

@hmm33502 - Thank you for not taking what I posted the wrong way. Not trying to fight with anyone. :-)
  • LargeEricS
    LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP has already lost 40 lbs (so he knows what to eat for his own personal success) and is just asking for advice re his workouts and whether or not they will work with a deficit or with recomp. There is no reason to change the food he is eating unless he isn't happy with what he's currently eating. And there's no reason to turn this into 20 pages of arguing over whether keto is good for muscle building. He said he wants to get stronger and lose the last 10, not change his WOE or enter a fitness competition.

Good luck OP!

Yeah diets not the problem. My question was more recomp or deficit. Im stuck on it because i feel eating at a deficit won't let me get the most out of my lifting sessions verses eating more at maintenance. But will I produce enough muscle to start burning the rest of fat to get to my goal if i go more of a recomp. Or do i suffer through at a deficit.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    You really won't know until you try. I've never recomped but I hear it can take a really long time. So depending on your patience...maybe stay in a deficit, less cardio, more strength training, up the protein to maintain existing muscle, lose the 10 pounds and then start a bulk? Or if you aren't in a hurry then recomp.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2018
    LargeEricS wrote: »
    OP has already lost 40 lbs (so he knows what to eat for his own personal success) and is just asking for advice re his workouts and whether or not they will work with a deficit or with recomp. There is no reason to change the food he is eating unless he isn't happy with what he's currently eating. And there's no reason to turn this into 20 pages of arguing over whether keto is good for muscle building. He said he wants to get stronger and lose the last 10, not change his WOE or enter a fitness competition.

Good luck OP!

Yeah diets not the problem. My question was more recomp or deficit. Im stuck on it because i feel eating at a deficit won't let me get the most out of my lifting sessions verses eating more at maintenance. But will I produce enough muscle to start burning the rest of fat to get to my goal if i go more of a recomp. Or do i suffer through at a deficit.

If you're new to lifting heavy things, you could get some newbie gains while lifting in a deficit. But regardless, you can certainly get stronger while in a deficit... getting stronger and building muscle are two different things.

Either way will be slow, but recomp will most likely be slower. Because you aren't really going to see the scale move much at all in the short term. I'm not a pro, but I don't believe a 250 cal deficit will hurt your workouts much. And you would still see the scale inch down. You can get stronger for the next 2-3 months and get those last lbs off, then switch to maintenance and recomp. Or you can go right to maintenance calories and switch your viewpoint away from the scale.

If you haven't seen it, here is the recomp thread with some info that may help too: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018

Good luck OP!

Recomp is a slower process and yes this will help you reach your goal, keep in mind your weight will not change so use other ways to gauge progress (body measurements, progress photos, feel/look in your clothing).

You can add in a small deficit if you want. Something like 200-250. If you are worried about fueling for workouts, you can try cycling calories on your workout days.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Good luck OP!

Recomp is a slower process and yes this will help you reach your goal, keep in mind your weight will not change so use other ways to gauge progress (body measurements, progress photos, feel/look in your clothing).

You can add in a small deficit if you want. Something like 200-250. If you are worried about fueling for workouts, you can try cycling calories on your workout days.

Quoted for truth!

@RoxieDawn nailed it once again! ;)
  • LargeEricS
    LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
    Thanks for the input, i think im going to keep pushing through on my cardio and move to bulk when im done. Seems easier than trying to do two things at once.