Pho soup ( almost addiction lol )

Hello guys
I am here asking about pho ga chicken noodle soup!
I LOVE that soup, but it worries me that i cant find any netrition info about it. I want someone help me to know how many calories in a bowl of chicken noodle soup and how many calories in the noodle itself without the soup?
Sometimes when we go for dinner i ask for extra noodles lol!
Hoepfully pho soup lovers can help me with the following:
Is pho soup healthy or not?
Is it good for the diet lifestyle ?
Is it good or bad to eat it once a week?
And if someone can help me with the calories for it
I go to pho79 in virginia and unfortunately no netrition info i can find anywhere
I will appreciate guys your answers so much!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    The soup I've had is so plain that I assume it's not made with fatty chicken skin. I'm sure you can estimate the stuff they add into it easily, you know what pasta and vegetables are calorie-wise.
  • dinazidan87
    dinazidan87 Posts: 36 Member
    The soup I've had is so plain that I assume it's not made with fatty chicken skin. I'm sure you can estimate the stuff they add into it easily, you know what pasta and vegetables are calorie-wise.

Thats what i am trying to do
    Thanks alot!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    No one soup is healthy or unhealthy it just depends on the overall context of your diet.

It's good for the diet lifestyle if you can easily fit it into a calorie deficit and it helps you meet your nutritional needs. Otherwise, it's bad for the diet lifestyle.

It's neither good or bad to eat it once a week. You just have to log it accurately.

If I'm eating things that don't have a database entry I will either find an entry from a similar restaurant or calculate based on an estimate of what is in the serving -- so for pho I'd estimate how much broth, how much noodles, how much meat, how much vegetables, etc.

When I was actively losing weight, I did try to limit the amount of stuff that I was estimating. But that was my choice. As long as you're paying attention to your results, you can make adjustments if you find you're not losing weight as you would expect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    calories are going to depend on the size of the bowl

For all of your "good/bad" questions, you really have to look at things in the context of your diet on the whole, not this individual food item.
  • dinazidan87
    are we talking about viet pho soup?

Yess
  • dinazidan87

Yess

you can get a rough estimate if you make your own. iv made my own many times. I don't know the EXACT nutrition value, but I know its a lot of sodium ( duh lol ) . I can check the pho cubes I have at home and get back to you.

Ughhhhh
    I failed to make it home lol , maybe i have the wrong noodles because its always slippery lol
    So i always go to vitnamese restaurant
  • dinazidan87

Yess

you can get a rough estimate if you make your own. iv made my own many times. I don't know the EXACT nutrition value, but I know its a lot of sodium ( duh lol ) . I can check the pho cubes I have at home and get back to you.

Ughhhhh
    I failed to make it home lol , maybe i have the wrong noodles because its always slippery lol
    So i always go to vitnamese restaurant

do you buy specific pho noodles? just a FYI, the noodle is called pho lol. you cant just use any noodles

Lol wait a second, so you mean the noodle type is pho?
    Not rice noodles :o
    Do j get this right from you lol
    Because all that time i thought the noodles are rice noodles !!!
  • brassicaceae
    brassicaceae Posts: 7 Member
    I love pho, super comfort food!
    Definitely can be a part of a healthy diet. I eat it at least a couple times a month--veggies & tofu is my fave.
    I have the dry noodles at home. A 2 oz/56 gram serving has 200 calories. A restaurant portion is probably more.
    A good pho restaurant will make broth from scratch. Are there any entries in the database for homemade chicken broth?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I usually estimate restaurant pho around 800 calories. So tasty!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/vietnamese-beef-and-rice-noodle-soup-pho-28814

830 calories per serving for this beef pho made with oxtail broth. Calories will likely go down if you're using a lighter chicken-based or more generic beef/pork broth and a leaner protein like chicken or tofu. Also, portion sizes may be larger if you're getting restaurant pho.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    We make it at home all the time, but with beef.
    We make the stock from powder, with cinnamon sticks, star anise and ginger. Lower calorie to make from powder than from scratch with beef bones, but higher sodium.
    We use minimal noodles (50g dry per person) and bump up the veggie content. Add 125g beef per person and plenty of fresh mint and cilantro.

I’ve never eaten it at a restaurant, but most restaurant meals are a lot higher calorie than making the equivalent at home. But you could use the recipe builder as a place to start.