I Got sick right after eating and can't keep anything down except water

I was put on a new prescription yesterday and today I haven't been able to keep anything down. I was only able to eat about 500 calories today. Going to the ER if it doesn't get better by morning. Will this screw up my new diet? My food log said I wasn't eating enough (duh), but sometimes this happens.

Just looking for anyone who's been unable to eat for about a day and how it affects health.

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Been there done that.
    If it is for one day only it is a case of move on. I keep my fluids up and try to make that something like broth (salt) fruit juice (sugar) in and or a biscuit or something like that. Usually it holds and yes I have a very low day - some be it It is part of life then.
    If it is more than one or two days I get medical help.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited May 2018
    Try to stay hydrated, don't worry about calories at this point. If you can handle pedia pops or something at least, even some crackers and (not red or purple) sports drinks if you can keep them down, might help keep your electrolytes and blood sugar regulated. Definitely go tomorrow though to see about changing your prescription. Generally, dying of dehydration or extremly low blood sugar is not cinsidered an appropriate curve for most illnesses.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    It's o.k. to miss out on food for a day or two. I hope that you get better. Sending well wishes.
    Drink water /other fluids as best you can.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Call your Doctor ASAP - it could be a reaction to the medication
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    yea just stay hydrated,if you're sick youre sick not much else you can do but defo call your doc
  • HealthyAndSober2018
    HealthyAndSober2018 Posts: 25 Member
    I suggest going to an urgent care place. Costs much less than the ER. I always get terribly sick to the point that I can't hold anything down when I get norovirus. A shot of promethazine, saltines, and ginger ale fixes me right up.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    How are you feeling today?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    1. Stay hydrated
    2. Do NOT worry about your diet when you are sick. Being truly sick is a general pass at diet and exercise.
    3. If you feel you need medical attention, go.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I second calling your doctor. You might need a change in dose, taken off, or tired up.