Should I eat less carbs?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,888 Member
    JanetBiard wrote: »
    I heard a talk from an NHS dietitian early this week, who said the amount of carbs on your plate should be the size of your clenched fist, so very little if you are eating pasta but probably about the size helping of potatoes I would choose. Her recommendation was the portion of protein should be the size of the palm of your hand, and the thickness of your little finger. And then fill the rest of your plate with veggies. This struck me as really easy advice to follow.

I would find it really hard to restrict the quantity of pasta to such a small helping, so I have found it easier to just not eat it. I think it is about finding what works for you. Personally I have found it easier to reduce carbs and eat more protein, as it seems to keep me full, but this might not be the same for everyone. I have not cut carbs completely as on the few days I have done this without intending to, I have felt very odd.

Ya, it's easier for me to reduce rice than pasta, so I have pasta less. I can be satisfied with 50-100 g of cooked rice, depending on what all else is with it, but for pasta I want at least 113 g (4 oz) and more like 142 (5 oz).

Meals also feel odd to me if they don't have the "right" (for me) macro mix, most notably when I lived in vegetarian yoga communities for three years and had to really work to get in enough protein for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    It won’t hurt to reduce your carbs, just ensure you are covering your micro nutrients

you don't even know how many carbs the OP is eating and yet you are advising them to cut carbs?

The OP is clearly eating a reasonable level or they wouldn’t be questioning reducing the levels - you don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce that my friend!

As long as they are covering their micro nutrient requirements it doesn’t matter how little carbs they eat. Remember carbs are the non essential macro

Not necessarily...

FWIW I always questioned the ‘non-essential macro’ since fiber which is essential to a good diet is a carb (yes our bodies process different) but it’s a carb...so doesn’t that actually make at least some carbs essential?

Carbs and fibre (particularly soluble fibre) is optimal for a healthy diet, but neither are essential for survival. For an optimal diet no more than 100g of carbs are required!

I’m pretty sure if the OP is a fan of her mash and jacket potatoes she’s probably consuming more than 100g. Besides apart from some quick burning fuel, there’s little micro nutrient benefit from mash or jackets! So straight away there’s some candidates for carb reduction!

Really? A 100g carbs is optimal...please show me some scientific studies supporting this hypothesis published in a peer reviewed journal with more than 50 participants

Yes, I would like to see that also.
  • brochali
    brochali Posts: 1 Member
    It won’t hurt to reduce your carbs, just ensure you are covering your micro nutrients

you don't even know how many carbs the OP is eating and yet you are advising them to cut carbs?

The OP is clearly eating a reasonable level or they wouldn’t be questioning reducing the levels - you don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce that my friend!

As long as they are covering their micro nutrient requirements it doesn’t matter how little carbs they eat. Remember carbs are the non essential macro

Not necessarily...

FWIW I always questioned the ‘non-essential macro’ since fiber which is essential to a good diet is a carb (yes our bodies process different) but it’s a carb...so doesn’t that actually make at least some carbs essential?

Carbs and fibre (particularly soluble fibre) is optimal for a healthy diet, but neither are essential for survival. For an optimal diet no more than 100g of carbs are required!

I’m pretty sure if the OP is a fan of her mash and jacket potatoes she’s probably consuming more than 100g. Besides apart from some quick burning fuel, there’s little micro nutrient benefit from mash or jackets! So straight away there’s some candidates for carb reduction!

Really? A 100g carbs is optimal...please show me some scientific studies supporting this hypothesis published in a peer reviewed journal with more than 50 participants

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Not necessarily...

There's not much micronutrient benefit in bacon, butter, MCT oil, bulletproof coffee or "fat bombs" either. What was your point again?

That. Is. Perfect.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    JanetBiard wrote: »
    I heard a talk from an NHS dietitian early this week, who said the amount of carbs on your plate should be the size of your clenched fist, so very little if you are eating pasta but probably about the size helping of potatoes I would choose. Her recommendation was the portion of protein should be the size of the palm of your hand, and the thickness of your little finger. And then fill the rest of your plate with veggies. This struck me as really easy advice to follow.
    I would find it really hard to restrict the quantity of pasta to such a small helping, so I have found it easier to just not eat it. I think it is about finding what works for you. Personally I have found it easier to reduce carbs and eat more protein, as it seems to keep me full, but this might not be the same for everyone. I have not cut carbs completely as on the few days I have done this without intending to, I have felt very odd.

Uh, vegetables have carbs also...

Most low carbers are LOW carbers and not NO carbers. Low carb is not all or nothing when it comes to carbs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Bacon - protein (essential macro nutrient)
    Butter - fat over 400 fatty acids (essential macro nutrient)
    Bulletproof coffee - well coffee!

Let's not move the goalposts here. Protein and fat are essential macronutrients. Not micronutrients.

Straw man much?

I haven’t moved the goal posts, your body needs protein and fat for survival!

If you don’t want to get essential fats and protein from those sources then choose others!

You don’t have to eat those foods to follow an optimal LCHF diet - other foods are available.

No strawman at all. He stated micronutrients. You started listing macronutrients. You changed the terms of the discussion, I can only guess, to avoid addressing the question in MICROnutrients. Kind of intellectually dishonest.

And you keep playing this "essential for survival" card. Kind of bogus. Surviving and thriving are 2 different things as has already been pointed out.

Correct. Micronutrients was the original topic, from several of his previous posts:

I said they are a quick burning fuel and give back little micro nutrient benefits!