Getting started...again...sigh

mrskmill
mrskmill Posts: 8 Member
Hi everyone! I used to use this app a couple of years ago and lost about 30 pounds before I got off track. And now I have a desk job so I am almost back to where I started. I love food and I don’t love exercise so it’s a struggle, but a struggle I’m determined to win. I’m 36, married for 18 years and have a 16 year old daughter. My long term goal is to lose 115 pounds, but I want to focus more on changing my lifestyle than focusing on a number for right now. I don’t have any friends in my life, just me and the husband and daughter. And my dog! Anyone can add me...I would love the support and love to support you!

Replies

• emiskins
    emiskins Posts: 92 Member
    My story is very much the same. I’m 36, married for 17 years and have a 15 year old son. I used the app years ago and lost 60lbs, right down to my goal weight of 150. Then life happened (lots of long stories and excuses) and now I’m up to 230 and just got started again last week. I also have a desk job and work from home most of the week so I really don’t move around! I’m a total foodie and used to love to work out but now I hate it. I lost so much muscle that I can’t even do a set of squats. I’m not going to let that stop me. I am taking a daily 30 minute walk to get some leg muscle back and doing any squats and lunges that I can each day, even if it’s just a few.

If we can make it through the first few weeks then it will be a habit and we will be rolling! Hang in there with me
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    I'm 59, 240, and hoping to get to a healthy weight in a slow and healthy manner. I started here 2 weeks ago--have had success with calorie counting before, but never stuck with it more than a 3-4 months and tried to lose weight too quickly (2 lbs/week). I'm already struggling with what to eat--because I can't seem to get enough protein and have too much sugar in my diet, according to MFP. I don't like to eat or cook meat or animal products, and eating healthy without those is the new part for me. You guys seem like a good group and I would love to join. How can we stay "together" as a group? It would be nice to have some place to check in--daily, weekly, as needed, esp. because many of us seem to be fairly isolated from a community of supporters IRL.
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2018
    mkculs wrote: »
    You guys seem like a good group and I would love to join. How can we stay "together" as a group? It would be nice to have some place to check in--daily, weekly, as needed, esp. because many of us seem to be fairly isolated from a community of supporters IRL.

This is exactly what I thought. I think it might be easy enough to just bookmark this discussion & return to it to update each day maybe..?!

I’m doing a low carb CICO approach right now. Not exactly ketogenic but not far away. I’m averaging around 20-30% carbs per day which works better for me as I have polycystic ovaries & insulin resistance. My main goals at the moment are to reduce my blood pressure & introduce a sustainable lifestyle change. If you don’t mind, I have gone through & added everyone.

Hello to everyone & hope you all have a great start to the week!!
  • Atepfer
    Atepfer Posts: 3 Member
    I used the app a few years ago....well "used" is quite an exaggeration, let's just say I downloaded it and that was pretty much the extent of it all. This time around, I am taking it one day at a time and sticking to the tracking. So far, off to a much better start this time around. 60+ days of tracking, weight is moving in the right direction and following the community section this time around. Seeing all of you committed to making these changes and sticking to them (bumps, cheats and all) goes a long way to making it easier to make better choices.
    One day you do the inspiring, one day you get inspired - these community pages go a long way to helping everyone keep moving forward.

Feel free to drop me a line.
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm in the same boat as all of you. This is my 2nd time attempting this, but about the 3rd time within that 2nd time :/ It's a struggle, but any of you can feel free to add me if you like. It's much easier to do with friends.
  • mkculs
    I think it might be easy enough to just bookmark this discussion & return to it to update each day maybe..?!

Ok, I've bookmarked this thread--easy enough. If we find it starts to get "crowded" (and I don't mean to sound unwelcoming, just want to be realistic about how many folks I can keep up with), I've got a FB group ready for anyone who also wants to try staying in touch that way.

I noticed that I must have used the app before b/c I had food items stored for my food diary. I have no memory of using it, ha. I lost 30 lbs or so in 2002 and again in 2009, but gained back that plus, each time. One thing I do remember from the venture in 2009: I really HATE chicken. I've been vegetarian much of my life and am thinking about going vegan, but I just don't know how to get the protein in without chicken or yogurt. My sister is losing very successfully on the "Eat To Live" plan, but she does not exercise or move as much as I do. I run/walk 3 times a week and walk at least 2-3 miles/day most days at work, plus sometimes just walking along my exercise route, so there are many days I'll get in about 5-6 miles, and lots of fresh air. I get hungry! So far (and I'm all of 2 weeks into this round), I'm managing ok, but still eating some yogurt. I reduced the yogurt these last 4 days or so and have definitely been hungrier. Thank goodness for the enormous red peppers at my local store--14 oz of sweet, juicy crunchiness! That's helping!

How has everyone's day been?

• froggette2016
    froggette2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Hey - can I join in?

I've always struggled with my weight, but about 5 years ago started having problems with my thyroid. My thyroid's gone now, and so is my health ... and i want it back! I need to lose about 75 lbs and get my stamina back.

I don't mind exercising, I just have to go slow because i'm easily winded. I'm using a stationary bike 30 minutes a day and am up to 6.5 miles (I know, if it was a real bike it would tip over going that slow, but I only made it 4 miles/30 minutes when I started, so I'm pretty pleased with the progress). Anyway, I'd love to do this journey with some new friends.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2018
    I would hazard to guess all of us love food or else why would we be here on MFP and wanting to try and lose.
    The exercise part you can work on, but the main thing is getting a handle on your calorie intake and eating less than you burn in order to lose weight.
    You're right it takes an attitude of making changes that you can do for life.
    You lost 30lbs before, you know how to do it, you have to ask yourself if what you did before was sustainable. That's the main thing, finding a way to eat which you enjoy but which also leads to weight loss.

All the best.
  • katelouiseuk
    katelouiseuk Posts: 9 Member
    Only joined this yesterday feel free to add me
  • mrskmill
    I think it might be easy enough to just bookmark this discussion & return to it to update each day maybe..?!

Ok, I've bookmarked this thread--easy enough. If we find it starts to get "crowded" (and I don't mean to sound unwelcoming, just want to be realistic about how many folks I can keep up with), I've got a FB group ready for anyone who also wants to try staying in touch that way.

I noticed that I must have used the app before b/c I had food items stored for my food diary. I have no memory of using it, ha. I lost 30 lbs or so in 2002 and again in 2009, but gained back that plus, each time. One thing I do remember from the venture in 2009: I really HATE chicken. I've been vegetarian much of my life and am thinking about going vegan, but I just don't know how to get the protein in without chicken or yogurt. My sister is losing very successfully on the "Eat To Live" plan, but she does not exercise or move as much as I do. I run/walk 3 times a week and walk at least 2-3 miles/day most days at work, plus sometimes just walking along my exercise route, so there are many days I'll get in about 5-6 miles, and lots of fresh air. I get hungry! So far (and I'm all of 2 weeks into this round), I'm managing ok, but still eating some yogurt. I reduced the yogurt these last 4 days or so and have definitely been hungrier. Thank goodness for the enormous red peppers at my local store--14 oz of sweet, juicy crunchiness! That's helping!

You are not alone...I don’t really like chicken either. I’m not a big meat person. I struggle with getting enough protein.
  • mrskmill
    I would hazard to guess all of us love food or else why would we be here on MFP and wanting to try and lose.
    The exercise part you can work on, but the main thing is getting a handle on your calorie intake and eating less than you burn in order to lose weight.
    You're right it takes an attitude of making changes that you can do for life.
    You lost 30lbs before, you know how to do it, you have to ask yourself if what you did before was sustainable. That's the main thing, finding a way to eat which you enjoy but which also leads to weight loss.

All the best.

Thank you so much! I think what it was/is...I get tired of logging every little thing! And trying to figure up if I can “afford” to eat this or that. My husband wanted to take me out to breakfast this morning, and while I thought it was nice, I had a little anxiety over it. Like oh no, I’ll have to log it and work my whole day of eating around it. But it wasn’t as bad as I thought because I made better choices than i would if I wasn’t logging and keeping within my calories.

It’s a learning process and figuring out what you can live with long term. I really enjoy the support and advice from all of you ladies who get it.

*forgot to mention, I also have hypothyroidism which also works against me. But like I’ve said, I’ve done it before. I know what to do. Just have to make it sustainable and stick with it.
  • lyndsfattofit
    lyndsfattofit Posts: 33 Member
    Glad I'm not alone in this from 2012 to 2014 I lost almost 100lbs. And now I'm more then what I was before (349lbs) thanks to starting work again, meeting the love of my life, depression and anxiety relapsing etc. Basically life.
    Ready to do this again and absolutely smash it and maintain at my happy weight not gain.
  • Cath_Taylor

Not been a bad day diet & exercise wise. BP been up a fair bit. So much so that my 2 week wait to see if dropping a few pounds would help has been kicked to the curb. Couldn’t get in to see the Dr today so will try Thurs. a colleague GP I work with says its best to treat rather than wait-so I’ve had a thumping headache most of the day.
  • rwhiting8
    rwhiting8 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m in the same boat as everyone here.. this is my second time using the app. My boyfriend and I started last Monday eating better and walking. He’s lost 8 pounds and I’ve lost 2... WTHECK! I love to see others supporting each other on here! So way to go everyone and good luck!
  • mkculs
    [quote="Cath_Taylor;c-42031051"
    Not been a bad day diet & exercise wise. BP been up a fair bit. So much so that my 2 week wait to see if dropping a few pounds would help has been kicked to the curb. Couldn’t get in to see the Dr today so will try Thurs. a colleague GP I work with says its best to treat rather than wait-so I’ve had a thumping headache most of the day. [/quote]

Sorry about that headache! Don't answer if this is too personal--is the BP issue directly related to your weight, or is there something more going on? I had high blood pressure related to pregnancy--was developing pre-eclampsia, so I was induced at 35 weeks with 2nd baby (first came at 32 weeks, all on his own :smiley: Whatever the reason, I hope you get some relief quickly!

I have been hungrier again today and am breaking down and eating yogurt--it will put me way over on sugar, but still within my calories. I need to find an unsweetened yogurt or other "fast food" I can eat quickly, that has lots of protein, b/c I've been very dependent on yogurt to get me through hungry times in the past. Maybe I should keep a hunk of tofu around. Yuck.

So, what does everyone do for a living, and how does that affect your health and fitness? I'm a special ed teacher, high school level. I usually do really well with exercise during the summer and then totally fall off the wagon when school starts again--I'm so tired!! And then winter hits, making it even harder. Just excuses, I know. This summer, I'll be planning for those challenges. As for the healthy eating part--the school day is hectic, and sometimes I just forget to eat until I'm too hungry (which is how I got used to keeping yogurt around in the first place). But I usually don't take time to eat enough during the day and end up too hungry and tired at home in the evening, which leads to being sedentary and overeating.

Any tips for getting through my work day in a more healthy manner will be much appreciated!
  • Cath_Taylor

Sorry about that headache! Don't answer if this is too personal--is the BP issue directly related to your weight, or is there something more going on? I had high blood pressure related to pregnancy--was developing pre-eclampsia, so I was induced at 35 weeks with 2nd baby (first came at 32 weeks, all on his own :smiley: Whatever the reason, I hope you get some relief quickly!

Yes, probably directly weight related. The headache been the worst it’s been today. Saw Dr who started meds. I’m probably stressing with work too & I have post-grad school exams coming up, but Dr thought it safest to treat rather than wait to see if I can lose weight (she wasn’t suggesting I couldn’t but with stress she appreciated it isn’t easy).
    I have been hungrier again today and am breaking down and eating yogurt--it will put me way over on sugar, but still within my calories. I need to find an unsweetened yogurt or other "fast food" I can eat quickly, that has lots of protein, b/c I've been very dependent on yogurt to get me through hungry times in the past. Maybe I should keep a hunk of tofu around. Yuck.

I tend to use mini cheese squares. To be honest though I’ve been lower carb (rather than the 20g cut off) and I’m finding I don’t get hungry. If honest I’m not too fussed about my breakdown of foods at the moment. I’m just trying to focus on losing sustainably.
    So, what does everyone do for a living, and how does that affect your health and fitness?
    Any tips for getting through my work day in a more healthy manner will be much appreciated!

I’m a Community Nurse which means I often start early and finish late. Stressful job. Late home a lot of days & basically I find working the exercise into my day helps mostly. So my step count increases by parking my car further away from the patient’s house.I plan my meals & take them with me - all weighed & measured.