Tabata weights question

Options
arilukaszewicz1
arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Just yesterday I did 30 minutes of tabata weights/squats and my legs still feel sore. Not like DOMS but jello like. It’s weird. Is this normal? I’ve never done tabata exercises before. I’m just a little nervous I did something wrong.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    First, Tabata is an aerobic protocol and lasts 3 minutes.

So, What you did wasn't Tabata, even though you used his timings.

And yes, Doing weight bearing exercises very quickly(especially squats) will leave you inordinately fatigued.

There's really no benefit to it, but like DOMS, many people chase it because it gives them the psychological feeling that they "did something".
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started a class where we do body weight exercises, calesthenics etc...20sec on 10 sec rest. When I first started legs and arms would be worthless for a couple days after...I call it the tin man ; ) after a few weeks of keeping up with this class my body became more efficient and stronger doing those excercises and used the timing and I dont get the jello effect..I may get sore sometimes but not worthless sore.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Tabata lasts 4 mins - 8 sets of 20 sec work & 10 sec rest.

The after effects of doing a high intensity interval routine will vary greatly depending on the duration and number of the work/rest intervals involved and the actual effort exerted by the individual.

When I do a true 4 min Tabata routine on my rower at 200+ watts/1300+ cal/hr, I'm totally exhausted, gasping for breath and it takes me at leastc10-15 mins to fully recover.

It's not someyhing that I do very often. ;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Tabata lasts 4 mins - 8 sets of 20 sec work & 10 sec rest.

Sorry. I should have looked it up. I was thinking 6 cycles.